Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another Billy Sherwood produced tribute album!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think Miller was no better or worse than a lot of AOR band frontmen at writing, playing or singing - has as much relevance or merit as the 'Ringo Starr isn't a great drummer' rant - didn't need to be.

I loved Miller back when I was a kid, but geez JIF, that version of You Send Me is spine-tinglingly bad - I was embarissed by it then and now.

Kerry, you want prescience in SMB lyrics, ya gotta go with Macho City.

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

ABACABya
    ABBA CADAB Ya!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ANOTHER BILLY SHERWOOD PRODUCED TRIBUTE ALBUM:
    'Fly Like An Eagle – An All-Star Tribute To Steve Miller Band' Featuring Members Of Yes, Asia, XTC, Dream Theater, Survivor, The Tubes, Curved Air, Deep Purple, GONG, Nektar and Others Now Available! Featuring Peter Banks, Rick Wakeman, Tony Kaye, Colin Moulding, John Wetton, Steve Morse, Steve Hillage, Fee Waybill, Rod Argent, Sonja Kristina, Jordan Rudess, Steve Stevens and others! Produced By Billy Sherwood

Los Angeles, CA – A whole host of space cowboys, gangsters of love and legendary music icons from around the globe gather together to pay special tribute to classic rock legends the Steve Miller Band! Now available on Purple Pyramid Records, 'Fly Like An Eagle' features performances by members of Yes, Asia, XTC, Dream Theater, Survivor, The Tubes, Curved Air, Deep Purple, Gong, Nektar and others! With exciting renditions of Steve Millers' classic hits, 'Fly Like An Eagle – An All-Star Tribute To Steve Miller Band' is sure to please music fans worldwide! Also includes some final recordings by guitar legend Peter Banks.
    Producer Billy Sherwood of Yes/Circa: fame explains, “Steve Miller has written so many great songs, working on this record gave me a chance to look deeper into the inner workings of the material and explore it all with so many amazing guest artists. It was an honor producing and playing on this project. I think the fans of the music will appreciate the contributions of all the artists involved.”
    Tracks include: Take The Money And Run, Jet Airliner, Living In The USA, Abracadabra, Swingtown, Winter Time, The Joker, Jungle Love, Space Cowboy, Rock'n Me, Fly Like An Eagle.
    To purchase 'Fly Like An Eagle – An All-Star Tribute To Steve Miller Band' CD: http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Like-An-Ea.../dp/B00D3ZJDA2 / itunes.apple.com/us/album/fly-like-eagle-all-star-tribute/id662660456.
    Billy Sherwood's next cover tribute: the tribute to Blue Vino
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, actually, the exact opposite. And that's the point. His stuff was inescapable on classic rock radio. I was never a fan, but enjoyed the hits some for the first 2 million or so times that I heard them. And then you step back and realize that there's really nothing special there.

And this is the point.

I don't listen to the radio hardly at all anymore, and the classic rock format isn't something I reach for often, but now that I'm kind of separated from it for a while, some of what I used to enjoy has aged well and some hasn't. Steve Miller hasn't.

I agree on both points. I think Steve Miller is more of "mindless fun" music-stuff you listen to going to the beach sort of stuff. But my issue with it is the same as my "dislike" of the Beatles or certain Pink Floyd albums-they are simply played to death. How many times can you hear "Take the Money and Run" before you want to go to the station and run that cd through a shredder?

I always avoided the radio so I never burnt out on this stuff. It's well done for what it is...which is catchy and not too deep. That said, this tribute album is...inexplicable.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I always avoided the radio so I never burnt out on this stuff. It's well done for what it is...which is catchy and not too deep. That said, this tribute album is...inexplicable.

I am not keen on that I have to listen to the radio over my ipod as I have yet to find a splitter I like so I can hook up the transmitter and charger at the same time.

Oh NO, he DI'int! I'm more than a little embarrassed for him. I mean, Steve Miller?? I like a few of his hits, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Oh NO, he DI'int! I'm more than a little embarrassed for him. I mean, Steve Miller?? I like a few of his hits, but...
    Exactly.

Next, he'll be doing an album with someone from Star Trek!

Oh....wait...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

He' currently recording Edgar Winter and other guests doing The Crystal Ship(my fave Doors song) for the upcoming Doors tribute. Billy is the King of Multi-Tasking in music.

Banned
    That's a little over-dramatic, isn't it? It's not like Billy is doing a tribute album to New Kids On The Block.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You think he wouldn't do it if someone asked?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    That's a little over-dramatic, isn't it? It's not like Billy is doing a tribute album to New Kids On The Block.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Billy is a quadrosexual. He'll do anything with anyone for a quarter.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Are you serious! I heard he wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole, he wants something current, like Bieber. BTW - really funny stuff Ian.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If he starts twerking with Miley, I'm out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

He (Circa) is now the backing band for William Shatner and his new "prog" album

If he starts twerking with Miley, I'm out.
    Billy Sherwood & Friends: Tribute to Miley Cyrus (& other famous twerkers)

Jon Neudorf
    I'm not. Steve Miller is a successful veteran musician with a sizable body of work containing some absolute gems. Both "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Book Of Dreams" are excellent as is "The Joker". It's not prog, although bits of "Eagle" come close but so what. It's still very good for what it is.

Regards,
    Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 09-10-2013 at 11:29 PM.

The Shatner thing is much more embarrassing than this Steve Miller album.

The Shatner thing is much more embarrassing than this Steve Miller album.
    I disagree. The Shatner thing blazes with awesomeness like the light of a hundred suns.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    That album is being released in January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I disagree. The Shatner thing blazes with awesomeness like the light of a hundred suns.
    Heck yeah. 'Going where no one has gone before' and all can apply to music, right? But if William Shatner walked up to me and handed me a huge bunch of cash to do a prog cd, I can't imagine telling him no.