Thread: My favorite band.........Moon Safari

My favorite band.........Moon Safari

Hello to everyone! I have lurked here for years, but I finally had such a momentus event that I had to post about it. Toward the end of 2012 I was looking for some new music, and I saw someone post here that if you like "I and Thou", you would like Moon Safari. Well, I loved the "I and Thou" disc, so I thought I would give them a try. I found the new EP "Lovers End, Part III" at The Lasers Edge, and ordered it. Upon first listen, I fell in love! The glorious vocal harmonies, all of the instrumentation that I love, and played the way I love it to be played. This one long song had melodies that slayed, and a recurring theme within the music that drove me to the stratosphere! I immediately searched for their back catalog and bought it. All that I loved about the EP continued with their other releases. I was in heaven, and to this day I am still listening to all their discs without ever getting tired off them. To me this is the mark of true masterpieces.
    I would like to give a hearty thanks to Moon Safari for making my music listening experience all that it can be, and to the person that made the post comparing Moon Safari to I and Thou, thank you very much! I may not have ever heard them without your post!
    The Watcher.........out!

Love them too! Maybe not my absolute favorite, but man, they are the real thing.

Certainly the perfect prog band for a person (like me) who grew up singing close vocal harmonies, as in jazz, doowop, gospel & R & B. They were one of my favorite bands the instant I heard Doorway To Summer (their debut).

If anyone knows who the gospel/R & B vocal group Take 6 is, they heard about Moon Safari and their vocal arranger, Simon Akesson, who plays keys and sings the top of the harmony which at times sounds like only dogs would hear it. After Take 6 heard MS, they asked Simon, in Skelleftea in northern Sweden, to do an arrangement for their new album!

Certainly in my top 5 of current prog bands.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for spreading the word!

Hope to see you at a gig someday. Are you located in the US? We're planning a small US tour to coincide with the Cruise to the Edge gig. No dates locked down yet tho

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If anyone knows who the gospel/R & B vocal group Take 6 is, they heard about Moon Safari and their vocal arranger, Simon Akesson, who plays keys and sings the top of the harmony which at times sounds like only dogs would hear it. After Take 6 heard MS, they asked Simon, in Skelleftea in northern Sweden, to do an arrangement for their new album!
    Wow! That's pretty cool!

Certainly in my top 5 of current prog bands.
    Agreed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Kudos to Simon! MS are certainly one of my favorite bands. Wasn't familiar with them until their first Rosfest appearance, but I've been hooked ever since. And these guys just keep getting better. A can't lose proposition to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias / Moon Safari View Post
    Thanks for spreading the word!

Hope to see you at a gig someday. Are you located in the US? We're planning a small US tour to coincide with the Cruise to the Edge gig. No dates locked down yet tho
    Just play Chicago as well as the east coast, will you please. There IS the Midwest Gang, almost all of whom are big MS fans, based in Chicago, as well as many others within driving distance.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I've been listening to them a lot this summer. Perfect music for the season!

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Hello to everyone! I have lurked here for years, but I finally had such a momentus event that I had to post about it. Toward the end of 2012 I was looking for some new music, and I saw someone post here that if you like "I and Thou", you would like Moon Safari. Well, I loved the "I and Thou" disc, so I thought I would give them a try. I found the new EP "Lovers End, Part III" at The Lasers Edge, and ordered it. Upon first listen, I fell in love! The glorious vocal harmonies, all of the instrumentation that I love, and played the way I love it to be played. This one long song had melodies that slayed, and a recurring theme within the music that drove me to the stratosphere! I immediately searched for their back catalog and bought it. All that I loved about the EP continued with their other releases. I was in heaven, and to this day I am still listening to all their discs without ever getting tired off them. To me this is the mark of true masterpieces.
    I would like to give a hearty thanks to Moon Safari for making my music listening experience all that it can be, and to the person that made the post comparing Moon Safari to I and Thou, thank you very much! I may not have ever heard them without your post!
    The Watcher.........out!
    That pretty much says it all for me too. Oh, they are also really nice people too!

Jefferson James
    Holy Blomljud! This is the first I've heard of this, Simon and the guys must be ecstatic, congrats Tobias! What an amazing honor for all involved. I've always loved Take 6 and Moon Safari have consistently kicked my ass since I first heard "Doorway to Summer" and I will attest to the fact that they are sweet and very fun gentlemen! They were a highlight of RoSFest 2011 for me -- this band is Jellyfish-like in their ability to pull off tine-spingling harmonies on stage, by the pool or anywhere they choose. Such a great and interesting take on prog-rock vocals and the music is always uplifting and positive, which I love.

Somehow these guys from Sweden tap into the Sunshine at will; I hear it's the salmon in the water.

Tobias, please PLEASE let us know when the Take 6 arrangement comes out, I can't wait to hear it. Their song "A Quiet Place" ranks up there as a favorite of mine for decades now. I was blown away when I learned they had a big influence on you guys and, now, this.

These really are the days of miracles and wonder!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Tobias, please PLEASE let us know when the Take 6 arrangement comes out, I can't wait to hear it. Their song "A Quiet Place" ranks up there as a favorite of mine for decades now. I was blown away when I learned they had a big influence on you guys and, now, this.
    Well to clarify this, the harmonies Simon is making aren't for a Take 6 album but for a solo jazz album one of the guys (I forget which one) is recording.
    Still pretty cool.

Even cooler, the guys in Take 6 are childhood friends with Boyz II Men since they grew up in the same church. Shawn Stockman, the "main guy" from BIIM heard Simons harmonies on the solo album and messaged him on Facebook saying "I love your harmonies". Haha, pretty awesome. Those guys have sold 60 million albums and apparently just message people on FB :P

That's what happens when an old person tries to remember stuff he was told a few months ago!

Yes, Moon Safari is pretty much my favourite 'new' prog band now, along with Frost and Big Big Train (well, the last band has only really joined the league of greats since David Longdon and Dave Gregory joined, imho, so that makes them count as "new").

I respect the band and I think they are very good at what they do. Musically, and instrumentally I think they are great. My only real issue is the vocals. While they do harmonize extremely well they are maybe a bit too "sunny" or "syrupy" for my taste.

Also one of my favorite new groups! I only became familiar with them last year and now own all but their first release. Just excellent stuff! Can't wait for their new release this year!!!!! (CD, not digital download).

By the way, I think Atlanta would be a good stop on the small U.S. tour next year!

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Also in my top 5 current favorite bands Just love everything they do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias / Moon Safari View Post
    We're planning a small US tour to coincide with the Cruise to the Edge gig. No dates locked down yet tho
    Best news I've gotten all day... and congrats to you guys on landing the Cruise gig, hopefully that's some real nice exposure for you (and I'm not just talking about sun exposure).

Fookin' outstanding bunch of lads!

I'd comfortably place Moon Safari in my all-time Top 10 (maybe even Top 5 and chasing a European spot )

Looking forward to the UK tour in September!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Counting the days till the new MS release. Am beyond over joyed about a few US dates. Please come to So Cal, but regardless, will travel anywhere in the US to catch the show! MS is my wife's and my absolute favorite band. Had tears upon very first listen of A Kid Called Panic, vocal harmonies and overall arrangement blew me away. So grateful for the music you guys make. Really, we'll done.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A full show from last night in Tokyo. Someone live streamed it and put it on YouTube, and the band posted it on their Facebook page. Just thought I'd post it in case anyone's interested:

Many thanks Jed!!

Circumstances prevented me from going to Gettysburg, and I feel much better now thanks to you.

This has been a sarcasm-free post.

I'm just the very first person who started to spread the name of Moon Safari via PE and some other forums. Since late 2005.

Its about time we had a new album from them?

I would think they're finished recording it as it's been underway for some time now. Maybe sometime this summer/early fall? It's called Himlabacken Vol II.