Thread: Homunculus Res ~ Limiti All'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto

Homunculus Res ~ Limiti All'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto

This album was in the latest batch of Altrock releases but didn’t get much attention on this forum so far.

Difficult band name, even more difficult album title. Is the music also that difficult? Nah, not really but I am enjoying in at lot anyway. A lovely retro canteburish album. It sounds like the musicians had a lot of fun recording it. Overall a really relaxed , fun and unpretentious atmosphere. Nothing really new or spectacular here but fans of Caravan and alike should check this out.

Allmusic has a nice review: http://www.allmusic.com/album/limiti...o-mw0002559463

Any more thoughts and opinions on this album?

Joost

I'm enjoying this one as well! There's a short homage to Steve Gore of Rascal Reporters on this album, a very brief cover of "Weigh-In On The Way Out."

This is a fun album with some modern pop influences alongside the Canterbury vibes.

Yes, great fun and some lovely little tunes and melodies. File next to labelmates Inner Ear Brigade, although Homunculus are indeed very Italian.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Played this a few times already. Agree with the above comments. Very enjoyable.

Here's some info I got from Dario D'Alessandro, the project's leader - some interesting stuff in there.

"We are in Palermo, Sicily. I'm the author of 90% of the songs, founder of the project born 3 years ago (maybe as a situationist joke) due to my passion for the progressive /jazz-rock/RIO and the Canterbury sound in particular. I write almost everything, I play mainly the guitar, singing (in the absence of a more skilled singer) and I arrange the songs with the Di Giovanni brothers, Davide (piano, organ) and Daniele (drums), recently joined us Mauro Turdo who lightens and enriches my guitar parts; Domenico Salamone on bass. I also asked various collaborations with friends such as Federico Cardaci synths/memotron and Dario Lo Cicero flutes, and other people.

The songs are imbued with humor and sometimes sarcasm. I do not know if someone not Italian can grasp the various issues that are treated in the songs and calembours used.

The whole record sounds very pop in my intention, but contains tricks like Fibonacci sequences (Culturismo, XΦ), triangular structures (Delta U), enneagrams (142857), palindromes tracks (xΦ) and so on.

My references are many and not only in prog. Among these I would mention the Rascal Reporters (whom I love because of their complexity and melodic research), The Ghoulies, Picchio dal Pozzo, Hatfield & the North, Egg, psychedelic pop, Brazilian music, Erik Satie, Moog music, etcetera".

I've heard the Rascal Reporters snippet and it's wonderful! Someday soon I hope to hear the rest of the album. Thanks Dario!