Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blues rock

Blues rock

Are you listening to any blues rock or blues-inspired music lately? Our radio stations are so bad here I always have to carry a small handful of CDs with me. Lately I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac's Blue in Chicago 2-disc set. If you are only familiar with their pop stuff, this is a real eye opener.

Savoy Brown - from Getting To The Point until Lion's Share - they were my fave band for a couple of years in the mid-70's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I used to listen to them as well. I think the only thing I have by Savoy Brown now is Street Corner Talking, but I had others too like Brown Senna (I think was the title.) Good band.

Taste Live at the Isle of Wight; first three Ten Years After albums

I think Taste was a good band, and still enjoy listening to them, Rory Gallagher too. I haven't heard the Isle album. I used to have Ssssh by Ten Years After, that was my fave by them and A Space in Time for more modern releases. I don't think I went much earlier than Ssssh, need to check it out, thanks.

Another good one I'd add is Trapeze's album, Medusa. Sort of rock and kind of proggy too. The title cut Medusa is pretty bluesy, however.

Early Fleetwood Mac = Peter Green = Guitar GAWD! Props to Jeremy Spencer, too

There is a band that falls somewhere between Southern Rock and Blues Rock (Id say mostly Southern Rock) called "Blackberry Smoke". I mention them because I was the hired-gun bass player with a Country act throughout Florida that opened for them in 2011 and 2012. Great bunch of guys!

Anyway, since you are also the person that posted the Country-Rock Thread and Southern Rock can be considered a mix of Blues-Rock and Country-Rock, this may fall into categories of either thread

Last edited by klothos; 07-20-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Rory Gallagher: All of his records from the 70's kill. In particular, my favorites are Irish Tour, Calling Card, and Against The Grain. That Strat of his with the worn off finish is one of the coolest looking guitars EVER.

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble: Maybe a little obvious, perhaps, but SRV made some great records. My favorites of his albums are probably Texas Flood, and In Step. On the remaster of the latter, there's a great 12 minute version of Life Without You that just...oh man. I was lucky enough to see Stevie Ray about 6 or 7 months before he died, when he toured with Jeff Beck. Stevie had a few cool guitars, such as Lenny (the brown Strat with the maple neck he used for playing Lenny and Riveria Paradise) and Charlie (white Strat copy with lipstick tube pickups).

Doyle Bramhall II: Great Texas blues/rock singer/songwriter/guitarist. His father, Doyle Sr was a drummer and songwriter (his name turns up in the bylines a lot on the Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble records, for instance). Doyle II is a southpaw, playing with the strings upside down (like Albert King and Otis Rush). Some of you may have seen/heard him play with Roger Waters back around the turn of the century. His first couple solo albums seem to be a bit short on the blazing guitar work, but the songs are really really good. A few weeks ago, I played Snakecharmer, from his second solo record, Jellycream. But on Welcome he stretches out quite a bit on some of the songs.

Coco Montoya: really more straight ahead blues, but worth noting if you like to go in that direction. Another "upside down" southpaw player, Coco played in a mid 80's configuration of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (playing a flipped over Ibanez Destroyer, if you can imagine that). I've only got two albums from him, Gotta Mind To Travel and Suspicion, but they both got some great bluesy guitar playing on them.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-21-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Joe Bonamassa
    Last edited by R_burke; 07-20-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I used to listen to them as well. I think the only thing I have by Savoy Brown now is Street Corner Talking, but I had others too like Brown Senna (I think was the title.) Good band.
    That's Raw Sienna. Great album with horns. Street Corner, and Hellbound Train are my other favorites.

Blodwyn Pig!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just saw Walter Trout live in concert 2 weeks ago. For modern blues rock it does not get much better.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    [B]
    Coco Montoya: really more straight ahead blues, but worth noting if you like to go in that direction. Another "upside down" southpaw player, Coco played in a mid 80's configuration of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (playing a flipped over Ibanez Destroyer, if you can imagine that). I've only got two albums from him, Gotta Mind To Travel and Suspicion, but they both got some great bluesy guitar playing on them.
    Not sure that I have ever seen Coco mentioned here before, but I agree the guy is great. I have seen him live a few times and have quite a few of his albums. If you like blues rock he is totally worth checking out.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Rory Gallagher: All of his records from the 70's kill. In particular, my favorites are Irish Tour, Calling Card, and Against The Grain. That Strat of his with the worn off finish is one of the coolest looking guitars EVER.

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble: Maybe a little obvious, perhaps, but SRV made some great records. My favorites of his albums are probably Texas Flood, and In Step. On the remaster of the latter, there's a great 12 minute version of Life Without You that just...oh man. I was lucky enough to Stevie Ray about 6 or 7 months before he died, when he toured with Jeff Beck. Stevie had a few cool guitars, such as Lenny (the brown Strat with the maple neck he used for playing Lenny and Riveria Paradise) and Charlie (white Strat copy with lipstick tube pickups).

Doyle Bramhall II: Great Texas blues/rock singer/songwriter/guitarist. His father, Doyle Sr was a drummer and songwriter (his name turns up in the bylines a lot on the Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble records, for instance). Doyle II is a southpaw, playing with the strings upside down (like Albert King and Otis Rush). Some of you may have seen/heard him play with Roger Waters back around the turn of the century. His first couple solo albums seem to be a bit short on the blazing guitar work, but the songs are really really good. A few weeks ago, I played Snakecharmer, from his second solo record, Jellycream. But on Welcome he stretches out quite a bit on some of the songs.

What did you do to SRV 6-7 months before he died?

I wouldn't call ATG and CC blues-rock... at least certainly less so that LiE, Irish Tour, Tatto and Blueprint, or the even his first two albums (debut & Deuce)... or most of Taste's stuff...

=================

And Yes for Ten Years After (another fave bues-rock group of mine)
    Despite two successive weaker albums (Watt and Shhhhhh >> both still rank as Gnosis 9 in my book)) in their prime , these guys were absolutely impressive string of albums... my faves: Cricklewood, Space in Time RnR Music, Stonedhenge and the double live...

Too bad there isn't a full filmed concert of TYA circa 70 or 72
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just saw Walter Trout live in concert 2 weeks ago. For modern blues rock it does not get much better.

Steve Sly
    He played here last Sunday night. A co-worker told me it was a killer gig, and that Trout was funny as hell to boot!

Johnny Winter.

'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    He played here last Sunday night. A co-worker told me it was a killer gig, and that Trout was funny as hell to boot!
    He is currently touring with two broken ribs due to a fall, so his show was a little bit more subdued than normal (he sat in a chair for half of it), but he is still great. He is funny too, he always tells some good stories and seems to be very appreciative of his audience. It has always been amazing to me why Trout has not gotten bigger here in the U.S. than he has, especially with so many people in to Joe Bonamassa. I think their music is quite similar.

Steve Sly

For my money, the best blues rock release of last year was Three Skulls and the Truth by David Hidalgo/Mato Nanji/Luther Dickinson.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    For my money, the best blues rock release of last year was Three Skulls and the Truth by David Hidalgo/Mato Nanji/Luther Dickinson.
    I've been curious about that one, but have not picked it up. I have seen both Mato and Luther live. They are both great players.

Steve Sly

Five Horse Johnson
    SRV & DT
    Gideon Smith & the Dixie Damned
    George Thorogood & TD

to name a few

I've been curious about that one, but have not picked it up. I have seen both Mato and Luther live. They are both great players.

Steve Sly
    Almost the entire album is on YouTube for preview

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It has always been amazing to me why Trout has not gotten bigger here in the U.S. than he has, especially with so many people in to Joe Bonamassa. I think their music is quite similar.
    Joe's better looking.

Actually, I'm only half kidding. I thought about mentioning Walter Trout a while back when that Joe Bonamassa thread was running, but I didn't bother. They are similar in style, but Walter's the real deal imho. And Joe's much more popular; go figure.

Robin Trower has been doing some good sheet lately, his 2013 Roots to Branches cd is excellent :
    http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Branches...s+and+branches
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Hmmm... many of the acts recommended in this thread are "Blues" or the scales are tipped heavy on the blues side , not "Blues Rock" per se....When I think Blues-Rock, I think "Foghat" For the record, there is a band I have an album by that I consider Prog Blues Rock (if there is a such thing) called Tin House....you can Google them for more info.

If we are really leaning to Blues, here are two of my personal favorites:

Danny Gatton
    Little Charlie and The Nightcats

Enjoy

Whitesnake and zydeco are as close as I get to blues styles.