Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blues rock

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe my joke was a little too obscure. Moloch was the stage name of a character played by Don "Ralph Malph" Most in an episode of CHiPs, the lead singer of a tacky Kiss knock off, complete with makeup, fire breathing, etc. Peter Marshall, of all people, plays his evil manager, who is trying to kill him (because you know, death is a viable career move). I think Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark was also in that episode.

MOLOCH MUST DIE! MOLOCH MUST DIVE! MOLOCH MUST DIE!
    Okay.

^^^^ I never watched Happy Days or Chips, so of course I didn't get the reference. For my part, the "Jerry Mathers was killed in Vietnam" thing was a widely known urban myth in the early 70s.

Johnny Winter dug Moloch.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ^^^^ I never watched Happy Days or Chips, so of course I didn't get the reference. For my part, the "Jerry Mathers was killed in Vietnam" thing was a widely known urban myth in the early 70s.
    Well, like I said, it was an obscure allusion. But that stupid CHiPs episode (which was the first place I ever heard of that "backwards masking" bullshit) is what I think of whenever I hear the name Moloch (apparently a mythological figure from antiquity).

And, I remember the "Jerry Mathers died in Vietnam" urban myth from a TV Guide article in the early 90's. Apparently, a soldier with a similar name had been killed in the war, and some obituary writer for whichever newspaper mistakenly confused the fallen soldier with the Leave It To Beaver star. And then, said obituary was read by, I think they said in the article it was Shelly Winters, on The Tonight Show. And this urban legend even persisted into the 80's, when Jerry (and most of the rest of the original Leave It To Beaver cast) were starring on The New Leave It To Beaver (or whatever they called it).

Same article mentioned the Frank Zappa's father was Mr. Green Jeans on Captain Kangaroo, but attributed the legend to Ted Nugent. Wow, a poorly researched news piece about, in part, poorly researched news pieces. The mind boggles!

Mitch Woods and his Rocket 88's - great old time boogie blues. Drove 300 miles to see him live at a little club in Portland Oregon about 15 years ago. During the break he came down and sat at our table, I bought him a beer. He was just a wonderful gracious person. Complained a lot about his label though... Anyone else a fan? I never thought I would be talking about Mitch on this site.

The North Mississippi Allstars are always a blast. 2011's Keys to the Kingdom is one of my faves of this decade.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The North Mississippi Allstars are always a blast. 2011's Keys to the Kingdom is one of my faves of this decade.
    Monster talents.

Re: the Jerry Mathers rumor, they had the same one about the eldest son from My Three Sons, before the goofy kid with the glasses joined the cast.

Another FHJ show is on dime. http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=458570

Five Horse Johnson
    Glazart
    Paris
    France
    2013-07-22

01 'Intro'
    02 The Job
    03 Cherry Red
    04 Quick on the Trigger
    05 Mexico
    06 Fly back Home
    07 Shoot my way out
    08 Smash & Grab
    09 Hangin' Tree
    10 Lightning when I need
    11 Black Heart Baby
    12 Die in the River
    13 Gods of Demolition
    14 Mississippi King
    15 'encore break'
    16 She don't Know
    17 Downstone Blues

Alvin Youngblood Hart:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

A bit more rock than usual in this number, but in general it's a contemporary blues band with elements of funk, r&b, and rock mixed in at various times.

My top 5
    Rory Gallagher
    SRV
    Peter Green
    Johnny Winter
    and
    Sue Foley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9r62...yer_detailpage
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

lotsa good stuff, some I wish I'd been aware of when I was big on Blues Rock in the sdecond part of the 70's... like Skid Row (this YT link is very close to Free's Mr Big)...
    Nowadays, I must admit having a short attention span for the genre.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hum I didn't know there was a Skid Row from England. The americain Skid Row are not blues for sure ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Hum I didn't know there was a Skid Row from England.
    Ireland, actually. Gary Moore's band (for awhile)....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Gary Moore was a great blues-rocker guitar player.

And this:

I loved Gary Moore's tone, especially on his blues rock stuff.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    And this:
    Marino is the best guitarist i have seen live.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Ireland, actually. Gary Moore's band (for awhile)....
    Wasn't Phil Lynott also in that Skid Row for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Marino is the best guitarist i have seen live.
    I'll agree with that. I've seen Johnny Winter, Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads, Iommi, Satriani, Vai and a bunch of others. But, Frank blows them all away.

Of course, I never saw Jimi.

I've been listening to some Eric Johnson lately, who I guess falls into this category. Fairly nice in a Jimi Hendrix-type style with clean playing. Not all of what he does is bluesy though, a bit of a hybrid.

I wouldn't call Eric Johnson blues rock.

Was that a subtle slam at Jimi's playing, BTW?

No, not a slam against Jimi's playing at all, I think they are both fine guitarist. I hear some of his style in Johnson's. I'd have to dig out the album, but Johnson plays a tune, that's very similar to a song Hendrix did called One Rainy Wish.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    No, not a slam against Jimi's playing at all, I think they are both fine guitarist. I hear some of his style in Johnson's. I'd have to dig out the album, but Johnson plays a tune, that's very similar to a song Hendrix did called One Rainy Wish.
    Yes, Eric is heavily influenced, but, of course, has his won thing going. He's done a number of all-Hendrix performances that are worth seeking out. His balls-less singing doesn't help, but his playing is right on.