Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Metal Terrorist?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    There was an in-depth discussion of the early 90s events in Norway and "Count" Varg on the satanic folk thread in the previous version of Progressive Ears.
    i actually copied that to my computer. There is a lot of myth surrounding Varg's supposed intelligence and genius that you disspelled in that.

I think it is telling that Varg credits jail as making him more extreme, while Samoth said this recently when asked on his antics and the subsequent jail time:

"It’s so long ago. It’s something I hardly ever think about. But I’m forced to think about it, because people keep asking about it. It’s not at all relevant. With the popularity of the black metal movement, I’m not surprised people are interested. But I’ve been in the scene for so many years, and it was so many years ago. There’s not even much to talk about. It’s irrelevant to who I am now. I’m much more grounded."

In fact, Varg all but credits Samoth (and everyone else involved in black metal pretty much) with him going to jail (It had nothing with him being a bigoted, self righteous evil prick):
    "The bloody fingerprints was a desperate attempt by the investigators to make all the others involved convinced that I had done it, and it was only when the guys like Bård Eithun, Tomas Haugen (Samoth) and the others were convinced that I had for no apparent reason killed Aarseth that they began to give testimony against me - and in the process against each other. This was a very intelligent move by the police, but it was a scam! There were no fingerprints. They had the fingerprints of the guy who founded the body, but they never had mine. In court the fingerprints were never mentioned, neither by the prosecutor nor by my councilor. Had they been real, had the police really had my fingerprints in blood, I am pretty sure that would have been an issue during the trial!"

"Tomas Haugen (Samoth) was the sole reason I was convicted for burning down Skjold church - because he was there himself and said I was too. Jørn-Inge Tunsberg was the sole reason I was convicted for burning down Åsane church - because he was there himself and said I was too. None of the other witnesses were even brought into court - and of course the prosecutor never needed anything more that this. There was no other evidence suggestion I was guilty. Snorre Ruch and Andreas Nagel was the sole reason I was convicted for the killing of Aarseth. There were no other evidence."

here's more of his wit and wisdom:
    http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/

Scroll to the bottom for his multitude of articles on his take on mythology, norse history and whatnot...

in searching for things about this subject, I came upon this item in a Stephen O'Malley interview:

"RBMA: Who surprised you the most out of all of these people that you sort of had idolised, in the metal world?

Stephen O'Malley: Emperor. They're farmers. They're like weird old guys living on a farm but they're making this incredible music. Meeting Samoth, the guitar player, it was like, "Wow, this guy's really mellow and humble." You know, he burned down a church and went to jail and stuff like that. He's got a daughter and has good hygiene. (laughs) Certainly not disappointing, just very interesting. Of course, people are very complex and different, each person, also a lot of the Norwegian black metal people I met, because I interviewed a lot of black metal bands at that time in the early ’90s..."
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

This article popped up today on Norwegian mass murder Anders Behring Breivik. What I want to know is simple. Who the hell would hire this guy after he gets out of prison? And yes, he will get out, despite killing 77 people.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07...est=latestnews

He and Varg could open up a tea shop together

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    He and Varg could open up a tea shop together
    Varg is a cub scout compared to him. But I bet they would be best buds.

Varg is very much in line with this cat. I think if anything, Varg is jealous he could not kill a thousand Euronymouses and Samoths to top this guy.

Varg is very much in line with this cat. I think if anything, Varg is jealous he could not kill a thousand Euronymouses and Samoths to top this guy.
    Scary thought, but sounds about right.

keep in mind the series of events that led him to his own little escapade into murder: Varg was not Mayhem's regular bass player-that was and is Necrobutcher (Jørn Stubberud). Varg wound up in the band after Dead's suicide, as Necrobutcher had issues with the matter of a friend being found in a cabin with his brains all over the place and left. Baard Eithun murdered a homosexual who made a pass at him, so according to what I have read, Varg upped the ante. I get in my head that Samoth, Baard and Varg were not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed at that age. I think as far as Samoth goes, if Euronymous or Varg told him to jump off of a cliff, he would have done it. I met him and he seems nice enough. I think jail served as a wake up call to him. I heard rumors of him using a pyromaniac defense and that he may or may not have spoken to police, which is neither here nor there. But Varg is convinced Samoth, Baard and others had him put in jail....not that he is just an arrogant, murderous jackass who basically did everything short of having a neon arrow pointing down at him.

Necrobutcher

Sorry, but that's hysterical.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Sorry, but that's hysterical.
    And a fine brazilian grind band as well!

Back in the 80s it was the coolest thing to follow a band with a bass player nicknamed like that... Imagine if you called yourself ...Fish.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    And a fine brazilian grind band as well!

Back in the 80s it was the coolest thing to follow a band with a bass player nicknamed like that... Imagine if you called yourself ...Fish.
    yeah, if I recall, Mayhem actually started in the 80's. Hellhammer and Necrobutcher (stop laughing, Scott!) are around my age-Jorn was born in April of 1968 (he's about 6 months younger than me), Oystein (Euronymous) in March 1968 and Jan Axel Blomberg (Hellhammer) and Sven Erik Kristiansen (Maniac) in 1969.

The whole Mayhem history is fascinating, and this thread got me looking into it again.

Dead (that's three times as awesome as "Nerobutcher") is believed to have had something called Cotard delusion. I'll let y'all have the fun researching it that I did, but let's just say, for Dead, the corpse paint thing wasn't really an act.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

very interesting. I wonder how often it manifests itself in Scandinavia, where depression is high.

Dead also liked sleeping alone in the forest. He used to oftenly comment about the strange noises he heard there, on his letters to me while he was the lead singer of Morbid.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The whole Mayhem history is fascinating, and this thread got me looking into it again.

Dead (that's three times as awesome as "Nerobutcher") is believed to have had something called Cotard delusion. I'll let y'all have the fun researching it that I did, but let's just say, for Dead, the corpse paint thing wasn't really an act.
    It's really too bad a good documentary-or even feature film-hasn't been produced about Mayhem. I think the story is as lurid as the Charles Manson murders. I thought "Until TheLight Takes Us" was ok but a bit too artsy fartsy for its own good and I found the editing kind of weird. There are some decent low budget docs like a couple directed by no budget horror/sexploitation cult fave Bill Zebub but nothing definitive, IMO. The "Lords of Chaos" book is really good, but it also encompasses a lot of other bands as well as some background on the Norwegian culture.

I always hear wonderful things about Norway, but why is so much of the music from there dark and depressing? That's not always a bad thing as I'm listening to some White Willow as I type this. And they are one of my favorite bands. Is it the long winters, or more than that?