Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What else do we collect?

What else do we collect?

Lately, I've got the jones for 1958 You'll Die Laughing and 1961 Spook Stories monster cards.

Ebay is heaven for this kind of stuff!

KGrHqFHJDEE8fCRu7gBPJN1CCfEw60_3.jpg
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Lately, I've got the jones for 1958 You'll Die Laughing and 1961 Spook Stories monster cards.

Ebay is heaven for this kind of stuff!

KGrHqFHJDEE8fCRu7gBPJN1CCfEw60_3.jpg
    They must have reissued those in the '70s becuase I bought tons of those things when I was a kid. They still may be in a shoe-box at my parents house.

Besides music? Ticket stubs. I keep everything, from movies to sporting events to concerts, and all kinds of odd events. I'd nearly kill for a stub from the first Yankee game I attended in 1977. Didn't think to hold on to the ticket after the game. I do have the ticket from the next game I'd see in May 1978. On ebay, people actually auction off old ticket stubs, and get big bucks for some of the more famous events. I was hoping I could find the game I had attended, but the closest I found was one from two months earlier. Guess I could make a few bucks from my 1978 World Series tickets, but I'd never part with them.

I own quite a few concerts on DVD and a bunch of movies, but I'd hardly call myself a collector of movies. oh, I do have a collection of match books, but that was far easier to collect when more people smoked and at more places. I do keep all of my cigar labels, as some of those can be pretty cool. But it's strictly from the ones I've smoked. And I don't smoke too many at all.

Spook Stories was 1961 - 1963, with a gray tombstone on the back with a lame joke.

A lot of the same black and white photos were reissued in 1973 with the "You'll Die Laughing" series featuring cartoon monsters on the back leaning on gravestones.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Guitars, books/magazines and Hot Wheels (I have somewhere around 10,000 of them stored away with about 99% still in original blister packs).

Musically. Everything by the musician or band that rocks the world. Demos, promos, singles, etc.

Sport player jerseys, and not necessarily Professional or College teams. Some of my favorites are from little-known Bush League baseball teams.

Musical instruments, though my collection isn't that big. Books, magazines on music.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Sport player jerseys, and not necessarily Professional or College teams. Some of my favorites are from little-known Bush League baseball teams.
    Do you have one from the Biscuits??

Horror and suspense books particularly by authors Richard Matheson, Ray Garton, and Bentley Little (who's also a prog fan). My prize is the first edition, tray-cased Prime Evil collection published by Donald Grant. It's signed by all the contributors including Stephen King and Ray Bradbury.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    A lot of the same black and white photos were reissued in 1973 with the "You'll Die Laughing" series featuring cartoon monsters on the back leaning on gravestones.
    That's what I had or maybe still have someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I also collect penguins (not live ones).
    You kill the penguins??

Outside music (which I don't really consider a collection), which includes vinyls, books, DVDs and Cds (and the odd ticket concert)?? Not much...

I've got a bunch (extensive) of cardboard beer coasters with the beer label on them >> it's stocked in a box and it's been sleeping there untouched for years, unless family and buddies bring me more >> I had once considered wall papering a wall of my kitchen w<ith them, but never got around to it (moved too many times)

I also have quite a bunch of Belgo-French comics (called Bande Dessinée) >> the descendance of Asterix and Tintin >> but it's evolved in an adult way quite a bit too... It's rather far away from US comics or Mangas (which I cannot briong myself to read).
    Being a big reader, I have tons of other books, but it's not what I would call a collection just too eclectic to be one)

But for books, just like music, I get rid of what I don't feel like keeping (this means they must be of a certain quality >> I only keep the best)

The girlfriend collects firgure owls, though...

At one point, I started a collection of ethnic masks (mainly africans), but there is too many fakes, exspecially for the price asked for...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I also collect penguins (not live ones).
    The funniest one... Opus

opus_run.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_the_Penguin

loved Bloom County in the 80's and early 90's....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I collect dryer lint. It's so soft!!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You kill the penguins??
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The funniest one... Opus

opus_run.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_the_Penguin

loved Bloom County in the 80's and early 90's....
    That one is really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I collect dryer lint. It's so soft!!
    Interesting, because I collect belly button lint. Although I don't really try to.

parking tickets (other people's)

I collect insults. I have a list that I keep of the ones really makes me laugh.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't really consider my music a collection either, but outside of that I don't intentionally collect anything - we have a lot of books and stuff.

My mother collects Pez dispensers and has a load of them.

Swizzle sticks...When I bought my first house in 1991, the previous owners lived there for something like 25+ years. Many odd boxes were left behind. I found a box FULL of swizzle sticks from the '50's / '60's. Many from hotels, restaurants & airlines that no longer exist. Each one a little work of Art. I probably have over 1000 different ones now.

Since I retired my wife would tell you the main thing I collect is dust

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Swizzle sticks...When I bought my first house in 1991, the previous owners lived there for something like 25+ years. Many odd boxes were left behind. I found a box FULL of swizzle sticks from the '50's / '60's. Many from hotels, restaurants & airlines that no longer exist. Each one a little work of Art. I probably have over 1000 different ones now.
    My grandmother's old house had a bar from the 50s that was a treasure trove. They sure needed a lot of crap to make their drinks, but this was Miami beach so that's probably all they did - drink and swim in the pool. Man, my brothers and I loved to play bartender. Good to get a taste for those alcohol-related jobs early...