Thread: My Morning Jacket?

My Morning Jacket?

I have a kid (early 20's) who works for me and we sometimes talk music. He is the one who turned my on to Portugal The Man and he is now suggesting that he thinks I would like My Morning Jacket. I have checked out some of their Bonnaro footage on youtube and like what I am hearing. Anyone here a fan and have any recomendations?

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have a kid (early 20's) who works for me and we sometimes talk music. He is the one who turned my on to Portugal The Man and he is now suggesting that he thinks I would like My Morning Jacket. I have checked out some of their Bonnaro footage on youtube and like what I am hearing. Anyone here a fan and have any recomendations?

Steve Sly
    I think they're really good - and a really great live show. I've seen them four times and will get a fifth later this month when I see the MMJ/Wilco/Bob Dylan three-fer tour that started up a couple of weeks ago.

The official live album, Okonokos, is probably the best place to begin. The two studio albums that came out after that one (Evil Urges, Circuital) display somewhat of a different direction - more diverse, poppy and with more '80s influences. There's plenty of their stuff on Youtube for you to try, to see which era of the band you like more.

I know who Jim James is but am not that familiar with MMJ's music. Except that I have heard this, which is on their Early Recordings album.

Their album , Circuital, is one of the most played albums on my Ipod...so yeah, they're pretty damned good.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I like My Morning Jacket. I have these:

The Tennessee Fire
    At Dawn
    It Still Moves
    Z
    Evil Urges

At Dawn was the first of them I bought. It is a good place to start. On their early albums, especially, Jim James' voice is heavily reverbed. I think it sounds good. YMMV. To generalize: the early albums are more country rock, the later albums are more pop rock. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Steve, you should try to see the episode of "American Dad" where the dad starts following My Morning Jacket on tour - it'll probably make you NOT want to listen to them. But actually, it's hard to tell if their music is any good from the episode, but it's pretty funny parody of ANYONE who's REALLY into ANY band.

For some reason my 14yo son thought I MUST be familiar with the band, but I had to burst his bubble and tell him I knew nothing about them except what was in that episode of American Dad.

The guy that works for me burned "It Still Moves" and I have been listening to it tonight. I am enjoying it a lot. I am going to explore more.

Steve Sly

Based on descriptions I had read of their music and a few minutes of seeing them play live on Austin City Limits, I decided to give them a try. A buddy told me Evil Urges was a good place to start, so I picked it up. Unfortunately, it didn't click with me at all. I really wanted to like it, but the music left me a bit cold, and I found the vocals grating. That was as deep as I explored.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias
    a few minutes of seeing them play live on Austin City Limits
    I saw their whole set on Austin City Limits a few years ago. I tried to find it on pbs.org to share here, but I guess their archives don't go that far back.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I started with Evil Urges and still like it the most. Circuital got under my skin for some reason and the show I saw on that tour was quirky in good and bad ways. I liked the Austin City Limits show much more. JJ is a good front man; I like the feeling in his delivery. Some songs are very personal and touching. Some songs rock. Some have a strange and beautiful artsy undercurrent.

Banned
    I've seen Jim James preform on a couple of late night shows recently.