Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help....What do you consider non-essential Robert Fripp Recordings

Help....What do you consider non-essential Robert Fripp Recordings

I'm looking for help as I dig into Robert Fripp music outside of King Crimson. I know he has done a lot of albums. Which do you consider the least impressive?

Let the Power Fall is a snoozefest

LoG
    GStK
    Exposure

are his 3 best
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Let the Power Fall is a snoozefest
    And I love his Frippertronics. A lot more than his Soundscapes; Radiophonics, A Blessing Of Tears, etc.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm not a big fan of his soundscapes recordings (though do have a few) and didn't like the League of Crafty Guitarists stuff. I like and own just about everything else.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I never really liked the League of Gentlemen.

If you want the good League of Crafty Guitarists stuff, stay away from the official Live! album and get Intergalactic Boogie Express from DGM Live.

The Soundscapes are hit and miss for me, mostly depending on my mood.

I think one, maybe two Soundscapes albums are enough to get the idea. Crafty Guitarists never did it for me, either.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I actually rather like Let The Power Fall. Would have nice if he had recorded the guitar solos he played over the loops, but as it is, it works as sort of an ambient music thing.

The Soundscapes recordings are the ones I don't like as much. I have three or four of them, they all tend to start out ok, but then he kicks in the Harmonizer and you start getting all the stuff where he's using the Harmonizer to emulate of someone doing string glisses up and down the fingerboard, but with a synthesizer patch instead of the natural guitar tone. This wouldn't be too bad, except he insists on looping that stuff, and then after a couple minutes, you end up with something that just sounds like...I dunno, just turns into musical gibberish as far as I'm concerned. And then the gibberish part carries on for another 20 minutes. Oy vey! Definitely a case where one wishes one could divest the musician of some of the toys he's using.

Fripp himself might say "None. None of my recordings are essential", by which he would mean "All. All of them are."

This is actually an interesting question. I have, on RARE occasion, really enjoyed a soundscape or two, but have always been afraid to buy a whole album of it without knowing if they had that certain quality of his that moves me. I'll be watching this thread. (I probably would ha ve said "which are the best ones?", but that's just me)

I quite liked the stuff he did with Andy Summers..

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I probably would ha ve said "which are the best ones?", but that's just me)
    I have a few of the solo albums, but the soundscape albums he's done with Travis are my favs.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    This is actually an interesting question. I have, on RARE occasion, really enjoyed a soundscape or two, but have always been afraid to buy a whole album of it without knowing if they had that certain quality of his that moves me. I'll be watching this thread. (I probably would ha ve said "which are the best ones?", but that's just me)
    I have 3 of them, and I prefer 'A blessing of tears'

Never found much of interest in solo Fripp (even Exposure is highly over-rated, IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    I never really liked the League of Gentlemen.

If you want the good League of Crafty Guitarists stuff, stay away from the official Live! album and get Intergalactic Boogie Express from DGM Live.

The Soundscapes are hit and miss for me, mostly depending on my mood.
    that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    I think one, maybe two Soundscapes albums are enough to get the idea. Crafty Guitarists never did it for me, either.
    to be honest, even the Eno collabs are yawners

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Actually, yeah... this might be as good as Fripp did outside Crimson
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I agree, especially Bewitched. And the Damage coop with David Sylvian.

I think his "frippertronics" and "soundscapes" after the Fripp & Eno releases are complete rubbish from the perspective of attemptive innovation. Those two, however - are absolutely wonderful. And Exposure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That one he did with his wife, Toyah, "The Lady or the Tiger," that was pretty bad, IMO. Or at least pretty non-essential. They did a second one too, didn't they?

Fripp had a band called 'Sunday all over the world' with her and Trey Gunn.
    I like it, lots of good ideas.

'The First Day' with Sylvian is as as good as any newer KC album, and better than some.

I am a huge admirer of Fripp's music. I don't have all of his solo albums and side projects, but I have several. The ones I own that I'd deem least essential are:

Fayman & Fripp - A Temple in the Clouds
    Andy Summers & Robert Fripp - Bewitched
    Robert Fripp & The League of Crafty Guitarists - A Show of Hands
    Fripp & Eno - Beyond Even

I don't own any of the League of Gentlemen albums, but I've never even remotely liked anything that I've heard on DGM samplers, etc.

Albums I'd strongly recommend that tend to get overlooked are:

Robert Fripp String Quintet
    - The Bridge Between
    Andy Summers & Robert Fripp - I Advance Masked

And I'll do my usual plug for his soundscapes album At the End of Time - Churchscapes, Live in England & Estonia, 2006. Some of the soundscapes stuff is very hard to swallow, but this one is 100% beautiful from beginning to end. It's among his very best work and can be very emotionally engaging if you're patient enough to really listen.

Last edited by Septober Energy; 07-11-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

The original League of Gentlemen album is a dud for me, because it takes some good performances and kills the flow with all the spoken-word stuff. There is a later version of the album without all that, but I'd say the live LOG disc is the keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

to be honest, even the Eno collabs are yawners
    Oooh, to me that's some of the best stuff he's done right there. Or at least, No Pussyfooting, side one of Evening Star, and the live thing from 75 (Paris, I think it is?) are awesome. It's been awhile since I've heard side two of Evening Star, and the "new" material on The Essential Fripp & Eno was pretty terrible. I think they did one other thing together that I still haven't heard.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I have a few of the solo albums, but the soundscape albums he's done with Travis are my favs.
    I wish they'd release the Discretion album to the general public. I have no interest in subscribing to a "society" to get access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think they did one other thing together that I still haven't heard.
    They released two albums in the 2000s: The Equatorial Stars and Beyond Even (a/k/a The Cotswold Gnomes). Both are very good--infinitely better than "Healthy Colours"--but not as magical as the '70s albums. (And Beyond Even ends with a screamingly loud jam that kind of spoils the mood.)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    the "new" material on The Essential Fripp & Eno was pretty terrible.
    One version would have been OK, but 4 copies of the same basic track with different noises pasted in was certainly not in keeping with the album title.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree, especially Bewitched. And the Damage coop with David Sylvian.

I think his "frippertronics" and "soundscapes" after the Fripp & Eno releases are complete rubbish from the perspective of attemptive innovation. Those two, however - are absolutely wonderful. And Exposure.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the Sylvian thing.... Yeah, it's OK, but definitely anything but essentail

OK, I agree that these experimental and groundbreaking albums can somertimes age badly Sooo the fripp & Eno things might have been OK when they came out.... but I explored them in the mid-80's, so I guess I missed the hoopla... You just had to be there and then, I guess...

BTW: I don't think anymore of Eno's Ambient series either.... soporific at best...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I disagree about Fripp or Enos ambient works (or his cooperation with Harold Budd) have aged badly, or that they are just soporific. Not all Enos ambient albums are over the top fantastic, and some of Fripps works are a bit redundant.
    But when you spin albums of this type, it has to be on the right occasion and not in a car, etc.

Do you really experience this tune as aged badly?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like his ambient collaborations, particularly the Travis ones, and I like Damage with Sylvian a lot. The only stuff I really avoid is the Crafty Guitarist stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.