Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: Amateur Photography Thread

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's a pisser of a house to have to build.
    That's a pisser of a house to have to paint.

Just back from a lovely trip to colourful Vietnam.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bFjYnJmPuwWBZvqR2

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Just back from a lovely trip to colourful Vietnam.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bFjYnJmPuwWBZvqR2
    Stunning collection!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Seconded!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Stunning collection!
    Agreed - excellent!!
    Regards,

Duncan

really nice. have you posted here before?
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    have you posted here before?
    I have. On page 1 even. Why do you ask?

I have. On page 1 even. Why do you ask?
    don't recognize the handle is all..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Never can figure out how to delete something on this site...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    It was so cool the first time I went there (Stonehenge) in the '70s. You could walk among the plinths. touch them, and really get the feel of the place.

A small group of modern-day "druids" were conducting a wedding just off to the side. I took a picture - it was on slide film, and I think I've scanned it. Will post if I can find it.
    Yeah that would be neat. Of course it's got a barrier around it now, and only let's the public get so close, which is a good thing otherwise some would end up spraying it with graffiti or something.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    don't recognize the handle is all..
    He's been here for years
    Regards,

Duncan

OK, let's see how this works. I posted some photos on Imgur of this morning's hoarfrost

https://imgur.com/a/kZN3n
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

it worked! Nice shots!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have been scanning some old slides lately. Looking at these old photos I realise that I kinda miss those old analog days.
    With using film you had to really think out each shot and make sure framing and settings were absolutely correct. No room for error. The exitement when you finally saw the results when your films were developed was kinda fun. The slideshows at home were also nice social events.

But I really think the overall quality of my shots back then was better. Using digital photography and being able to correct small mistakes made me a lazy photographer. I never cared much about post processing anyway.

I guess I am old and nostalgic.

here are a couple of scans (unprocessed)

img444.jpg

img521.jpg

img545.jpg

img571.jpg

I have been scanning some old slides lately. Looking at these old photos I realise that I kinda miss those old analog days.
    With using film you had to really think out each shot and make sure framing and settings were absolutely correct. No room for error. The exitement when you finally saw the results when your films were developed was kinda fun. The slideshows at home were also nice social events.

But I really think the overall quality of my shots back then was better. Using digital photography and being able to correct small mistakes made me a lazy photographer. I never cared much about post processing anyway.

I guess I am old and nostalgic.

I agree with your comments and share the nostalgia ... and yet, I wouldn't go back to analog.

I believe the fact that we grew up with the discipline of analog photography should make us very much better digital photographers ... to a point. That analog mind-set could also be a barrier to the creativity available in digital photography.

BTW - one thing in particular that is a hangover from analog days that I can't stop doing is composing and cropping through the lens. I ought to compose the shot then zoom out a bit, to allow myself the luxury of a perfect crop in editing. Instead, I take too much time trying to frame each shot perfectly.

You mentioned scanning slides.

Several years ago I bought a high quality Nikon scanner that does negatives and slides. It was a laborious process - but I scanned over 4,000 old family photos from negatives. I've just recently started scanning about 1,000 of my my old slides.

Although I kept those old slides and positives in a cool, dark environment, it's amazing how badly some of them have deteriorated. I can't find a pattern, though. E.g. some Kodachrome deteriorated badly, some are as good as new.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

You mentioned scanning slides.

Several years ago I bought a high quality Nikon scanner that does negatives and slides. It was a laborious process - but I scanned over 4,000 old family photos from negatives. I've just recently started scanning about 1,000 of my my old slides.

Although I kept those old slides and positives in a cool, dark environment, it's amazing how badly some of them have deteriorated. I can't find a pattern, though. E.g. some Kodachrome deteriorated badly, some are as good as new.
    I have the same. Some series turned yellowish while earlier years are still pretty good. I have the feeling the Fuji velvia has aged better then the Kodachrome.

Very nice.

A local landscape photographer shot exclusively in slide film until he could no longer get it processed anywhere. Now he shoots in digital -- but on principle refuses to do any post-production.

I have the same. Some series turned yellowish while earlier years are still pretty good.
    When I scanned 4,000+ 35mm slides of my sister's after she passed away, some dating back to the early '70s, a good many of them had "aged" which meant the colors drifted toward magenta. The scanner I used, the Ion Omni-Scan, included built-in software for reversing the effects of aging. It worked pretty slick most of the time. Sometimes I had to goose the contrast and saturation a bit, but mostly I didn't.

Of course the grain on 1970s-era Fujifilm was pretty heinous compared to today's HD digital.

Any thoughts on Panasonic Lumix LX100 II or any of the later Sony Cyber shot RX100 s ?