Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Photography Thread

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Wow, there are a lot of really great photos here, nice work everyone! I have a question. I know basically nothing about digital cameras, I have a Sony point and shoot. I want to get an SLR camera with interchangable lenses. I still have my film SLR with three lenses, 28mm wide angle, 55 mm and a telephoto I don't recall the size, maybe 120 mm. Are these lenses usable on a digital camera body?

I still have my film SLR with three lenses, 28mm wide angle, 55 mm and a telephoto I don't recall the size, maybe 120 mm. Are these lenses usable on a digital camera body
    Check with your camera maker first - but I would be they would "fit" onto the body . . . not sure about auto exposure/focus you would retain . . . or crop factor given your switch to digital from full-frame 35mm . . . the lenses might give you a differnt focal length in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    glad this was revived since the old on PE2 PM had pretty much died.
    I think that's because it went to PM and the lot of us had grown busy and were not getting out to shoot any images.

Nice to have new people, now, to extend the conversation.

Of course, some of the old PM posts were probably useful information to the new people. Maybe I can go archive some of that and paste a bit into this thread for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Check with your camera maker first - but I would be they would "fit" onto the body....
    What he said.

But, if you post your camera make and model, and list the lenses, we can help to tell you whether or not any of your existing equipment can be used in a new digital kit, and whether there will be some feature loss.

Some great pictures here.

I'm seeing a 200% improvement, Stephen! Nice pix.

I think I mentioned this before - but go here to see some incredible photography:
    http://photo.net/
    Regards,

Duncan

Nice stuff people! Keep 'em coming!

I use flash quite a bit for indoor events, parties, etc . . . and picked up a "diffuser" for the small flash gun that's used w/my cam: it's called the SFILL and is designed for the Leica SF 20 & 24 series of flash units:

http://www.leicagoodies.com/sfill.html

Absolutely amazing results - although I do lose a full stop of light . . . MUCH better results: softer, no harsh background shadows, no blown highlights . . .

(Halloween 2012)

If you use a hot-shoe styled flash unit for such things - I'd highly recommend such diffusers/softeners . . . they really make a big difference in your output.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'm seeing a 200% improvement, Stephen! Nice pix.
    thanx.. were you able to see all 6 of my foliage/cemetery pics? i only see one (the last one i think) at least at work on this old XP machine.

Unevensong - Camel

They're all there.

Going forward - put a blank line or 2 between the pics - it will make it easier to see them clearly.
    Regards,

Duncan

What he said.

But, if you post your camera make and model, and list the lenses, we can help to tell you whether or not any of your existing equipment can be used in a new digital kit, and whether there will be some feature loss.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replys. My old (and I mean old, I think I bought it when I was 20, I'm 60 now) camera is a Minolta SRT100. The 28mm lens is a Minolta Celtic. A 135mm lens is Minolta Celtic QD The 55mm is a Rokkor PF. I know the Minolta line uses a different lens mounting system but I believe there are adaptors. My problem is that I have limited funds available. So I am hoping I can spend what I have on a decent body and be able to use the lens I have for now. Then I can upgrade to better lenses later. Like a year from now. Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Unevensong - Camel

This afternoon's commute sunset, stuck in traffic....at least we had a light show care of Mother Nature!

Btw, near the bottom center, a bit to the right, the flame (some petroleum chemical burn-off of some sort) coming out of a stack is the refinery in Commerce City...it was all ((mesmerizing)) !!

(Pics taken and edited with a Samsung Galaxy Player 5)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quick FYI - for this thread, in particular:

I far prefer LINKING to pictures, that ATTACHING them.

Two reasons:

1). we can see them immediately - without having to click on them.

2). We only have so-much space on the new server - and attachments take up space, whereas linked pictures don't.

We're nowhere near our limit, but I'm thinking ahead...

Thanks,
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I have a question. I know basically nothing about digital cameras, I have a Sony point and shoot. I want to get an SLR camera with interchangable lenses.
    Depending on what your photographic needs are maybe, rumor has it the DSLR will be going out of style soon because of the new generation of cameras coming out that have no viewfinder or mirror, but still have interchangeable lenses. Since there is no mirror they can expose images very quickly. They come with robust features, have decent mega pixel values, are smaller and lighter. And have HD video of course. Here's the Sony NEX-6

Reviews are not perfect, but Panasonic, Olympic and Fuji also have similar models so the technology just may be moving this way.
    Last edited by PindralProgger; 11-17-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    ...Minolta SRT100. The 28mm lens is a Minolta Celtic. A 135mm lens is Minolta Celtic QD The 55mm is a Rokkor PF. ....
    Okay, yeah, that'll be a problem.

Minolta did use a unique "SR" lens mount on these SRTs, and they changed it when they went to the auto-focus A-mount. I do not believe there is an adapter that will allow them to work with any new digital SLR--probably not even the Maxxum 7D.

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to get your hopes up, but the SRT is just too old to be compatible with today's gear.

I'm not all that familiar with the Minolta digital line--for the time it was around--but, apparently Sony have taken over the Minolta camera business. The Sony Alphas are very decent, but I'm also not a "Sony person" (I've grown dedicated to Canon).

If you have the money to put into a new/used consumer grade starter kit, you can add higher-end lenses over time until you decide to upgrade the body. I know all Canon SLR bodies are compatible with the EF series lenses of all levels. Nikon may offer the same flexibility, but I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by PindralProgger View Post
    ...rumor has it the DSLR will be going out of style soon...
    No viewfinder = no camera for me.

I absolutely hate composing via a screen that I need reading glasses to see, and cannot see at all in direct sunlight.
    Regards,

Duncan

Unevensong - Camel

any of you guys try submitting your photos to some of those stock sites like ShutterStock, Bigstock? i did just to see what the experience was like. i have 15 pics out on Bigstock right now that are waiting for approval. i doubt they'll approve many (if any) but who knows - maybe i can make a little money off of them.

Unevensong - Camel

A friend of mine makes his (very good) living from his submissions to Getty Images and iStockphoto.

But then ... he's incredibly good.

And - he takes pics that appeal to adcertisers etc. - not necessarily the pics that we would like to take or see.
    Regards,

Duncan

Nice shots Unephen!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nice shots Unephen!
    thanx..

Unevensong - Camel

These are some shots from my latest vacation. I dare you all to guess where it is.

[QUOTE=Greg;6885]Okay, yeah, that'll be a problem.

Minolta did use a unique "SR" lens mount on these SRTs, and they changed it when they went to the auto-focus A-mount. I do not believe there is an adapter that will allow them to work with any new digital SLR--probably not even the Maxxum 7D.

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to get your hopes up, but the SRT is just too old to be compatible with today's gear.

Ha, no problem! I didn't think it was likely but thought it was worth asking. I have about $600 to $700 to spend and perhaps Black Friday will present a bargain. Any suggestions in that price range? I also have an Olympus C700 I bought maybe 10 years ago. I bought it primarily to shoot my model work, I needed a camera with aperture priority and it was recommended to me back then. It does a good job for the intended purpose but is useless for shots of moving action as there sems to be a long delay between pressing the shutter button and actually taking the photo. The new camera will be for vacation shooting anf family get togethers, etc. Also would like the ability to shoot moving trains, which is where the Olympus falls down.

Let me see ifI can manage to attach a pic:
    P1010148.jpg

Can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon DSLRs. There are plenty of kits in that price range that even shoot HD video.. Very happy with my Canon XSi though it does not shoot video. If I was going to upgrade I'd look into th eCanon T3i or T4i which shoot higher mega pixels and HD video. The Canon IS lenses have anti vibrate built into them too...a nice feature.