Thread: Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1

Just to give the attention to the update. Anyone else tried it yet?

It's becoming my primary tablet, even before my iPad bricked itself last night.

Seriously, this is a major update, and adds the polish that Windows 8 was lacking. New search capability is amazing. Boot-to-desktop and a real start button, for those who missed it. Many other enhancements; I haven't had a chance to try them all out yet.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

I thought we wouldn't see this until fall. Is this an official release?

[edit] OK, I get it now. Says here I'd have to reinstall all my apps though so um, no. Not gonna do it. Too many games that took too long to install.

http://lifehacker.com/download-the-w...-now-586263475
    Last edited by Jerjo; 07-02-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, it's a preview, and installing the preview means more fun when the official release comes in. But I have installed it on my Surface because, gosh darn it, I just crave living on the bleeding edge. Just ask my iPad about that. But my desktop and laptop will wait until August for the final version.

The iPad follies are under NDA, so I can't actually say much except that software can indeed take your system down.

I fail to see how the National Dance Association managed to brick your iPad but I know now I'm not letting my wife stream Dancing with the Stars on ours.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There are many reasons for not letting anyone watch Dancing with the Stars on an iPad. It will rot its circuits, blow out its pixels, and leave dents in the back case.

* Non-Disclosure Agreement