Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New GG 5-CD live/boot/demo/etc box Memories of Old Days

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Leaving aside the music, it had the most butt-ugly cover I've seen. Looks like someone licking a disgusting sore.
    I kind of like the cover - goes well with the cover of Acquiring the Taste!

I love GG, but most of the bootleg stuff I've heard is pretty sketchy. I'm interested in the box set, but I'd like to know what the sound quality is. Considering most of the stuff they had was released previously in Scraping the Barrel and Out of the box, I wonder if this is just the same stuff being re-released

Leaving aside the music, it had the most butt-ugly cover I've seen. Looks like someone licking a disgusting sore.
    ??
    I never saw anything but an oyster.

I'm a little shocked when a Gentle Giant cover isn't god-awful. It's sort of their calling card!

I don't have any of the other compilations so will get this (good price too).

One question - my favourite song by them (maybe my favourite prog track ever) is 'His Last Voyage'. Did they ever do this live?
    Three Friends have performed His Last Voyage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEaUTenHJQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    AUTO-BUY
    See, I don't understand that. A few years ago a boxed set was released of the Fun House sessions by The Stooges, which seemingly included every failed take from several days of studio time. Listening to excerpts online was just plain painful.

I don't understand the appeal, I don't get the entertainment value. Can one actually sit and LISTEN to partial takes and studio banter and musicians dinking around while the engineer chases down a hum???

^ I'd agree with parts of that. I had and sold the Scraping the Barrel box for that very reason. This box has enough live stuff on it (that may have been released before, but I don't have it) to make it worthwhile. If it were just studio takes and alternate reels, I'd pass.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Scraping the barrel was worth it for the liner notes the live material (some of which is now on this new set) and hearing some stuff by the boys solo (I particularly enjoyed the shout stuff). But ya some of the outtakes and stuff were painful I seem to remember one almost 30 minute take of playing the game where it is just the same thing over and over again.

Scraping the Barrel included an ERASED tape of an unreleased song. Can't really get more esoteric than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    Three Friends have performed His Last Voyage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEaUTenHJQ
    Cheers. Nice version, too.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?