Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ronnie James Dio

Over the years I have been good friends with a few musicians who have passed away. Those affected me inside. Although I didn't know Dio personally, when I found out he passed away... I wept. I had many opportunities to be around Dio, and every one of those encounters were the best. He treated everyone around him like THEY were the rock star. Very classy to the highest caliber. I loved that little guy!

As for his recordings, I fall at the extreme opposite of the majority here -- yeah, no surprise

I don't care for Black Sabbath much at all. I like a handful of tracks from the Dio era, but nothing else really strikes my fancy. Rainbow has some good elements. Solo is where I found my home for Dio. As for the material being outdated -- there are so many albums that fall into that category across the board. Dio was prime in the hard rock and heavy metal of that era. I think some don't like the era and RJD takes a hit from those fans because of it. That's definitely fair. In my playlists, Dio still gets a hefty pat on the back from me.

Metal; perfected:

And this, which was the first Black Sabbath video I ever saw. It was on some "Pop" show or something and until then I think I had no idea what they even looked like on stage. It blew my mind completely. The opposite of what I expected in terms of stage presence. Very dark, cerebral and sophisticated, yet rock and roll at the same time. Amazing ...

Rainbow Live Box Set?

I recently started looking into what is out there involving Ronnie James Dio's discography that I don't have and I had the strangest experience shopping on Amazon. A few years ago, a 6 disc Rainbow live box set was released containing 3 complete performances from 1976. The best of these tracks were issued as the "Live In Europe" CD. For some reason, The box set was going for about $500 new on Amazon. However, you can buy each performance in sets of two discs for about $20 each. So who would pay $500 for the same exact thing you can buy for $60? Does the box set come with anything more that is that great that someone would really want to spend that much extra? Anyway, I wound up ordering the cheaper option on Amazon yesterday. I promise when it comes in the mail, I will listen to it and post my thoughts on these live performances. Does anyone else own these live CDs?

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I recently started looking into what is out there involving Ronnie James Dio's discography that I don't have and I had the strangest experience shopping on Amazon. A few years ago, a 6 disc Rainbow live box set was released containing 3 complete performances from 1976. The best of these tracks were issued as the "Live In Europe" CD. For some reason, The box set was going for about $500 new on Amazon. However, you can buy each performance in sets of two discs for about $20 each. So who would pay $500 for the same exact thing you can buy for $60? Does the box set come with anything more that is that great that someone would really want to spend that much extra? Anyway, I wound up ordering the cheaper option on Amazon yesterday. I promise when it comes in the mail, I will listen to it and post my thoughts on these live performances. Does anyone else own these live CDs?

Library Jon
    No Idea but I assume these are the live sets from Germany. I have the Nurnberg set and another I can't recall.

He took that torch to the grave... Suck it, D!

Probably my first exposure to Dio, released the same year as the Heaven and Hell album (I was a huge Kansas fan at the time). Still one of my favorite of his vocal performances.

Since my last post on Progressive Ears about this thread, I listened to all of the Heaven And Hell related releases as well as the deluxe version of Black Sabbath's "Dehumanizer" with the bonus disc. Although, they are admittedly not as good as the Rainbow and earlier Sabbath material, I really still enjoy this part of their discography. I also saw Heaven And Hell in concert three times over more recent times and thought were still great despite it being the end of their career together. You guys have to understand that these guys were over 60 years old at that point. Most performers aren't as good during that time of their career.

Library Jon

Banned
    I just read something on Facebook about the Last In Line project being put together by the surviving members of the original Dio band, and it seems like they won't be doing anything from Sacred Heart because it brings up bad memories.