Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Gilmour solo albums

The debut album is pretty good, especially "Short and Sweet". About Face is a real solid album, I even love the dance tempo and horn charts of "Blue Light". On an Island sounds very nice, but I haven't listened to it a lot. I'm just glad it doesn't try to sound like Pink Floyd, it sounds like Dave is scaling back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post

I wish he would have added a couple of songs from the first two albums when he toured in 2006. Can't believe it's seven years later already. I know that would be picking up the pace, but we need another new album!
    I thought I'd heard that he's basically retired?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought I'd heard that he's basically retired?
    I don't remember we're I read it and I could not find it again, but it said that DG was slowly working on some songs. The informant was supposedly Phil manzanera.

DG has basically been retired since the end of the PF tour supporting Division Bell. One album of new work, a couple of guest appearances and one short tour in 17 years is pretty retired to me. Nice work if you can get it ( and live off of it ).

His 1st is by far the best (imo)

Re: Love On The Air video

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It did appear (sung by Gilmour) in Pete Townshend's Deep End Live video, so that may have been the version you saw.
    No it wasn't. This was most definitely from the About Face tour, and would have aired before the Deep End tour happened. In fact, I posted it in a later post.

The only clip I remember seeing MTV show from Deep End was Give Blood. They aired the entire concert (or at least most of it, anyway), but as far as showing individual songs as video, Give Blood is the one I remember seeing.

I prefer his debut album. About Face is not bad, but too noisy. Don't like the drums forefronted. As for On an Island, I found this a bit too stylish.

Banned

I love all 3 albums, and was fortunate enough to see the 1984 solo tour -- my second concert ever! Yes, the third one is overly mellow, but goes down well in the right mood.

"Mihalis" from the first album is one of my favorite tracks ever. Can never get enough of that one!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the debut a lot, the second does nothing for me unfortunately, I wanted to like it but the sound is of it's time and the songs just don't work for me

On An Island is certainly a different animal but I like it a lot. The first one is still the one I listen to most often, There's No Way Out Of Here, Milhalis, & Raise My Rent are all great.
    I agree with every word (that I copied) of this.

DG has basically been retired since the end of the PF tour supporting Division Bell. One album of new work, a couple of guest appearances and one short tour in 17 years is pretty retired to me. Nice work if you can get it ( and live off of it ).
    Yeah, I guess when you're still getting big royalty checks from the records you made 40 years ago (and let's not forget one of those records is still one of the biggest selling albums ever), you're not under any pressure to rush into the studio and make a new album or go on tour for 9 months out of the year or whatever.

I'm still half way convinced that maybe one of the reasons the Pink Floyd reunion didn't extend beyond the Live 8 concert might have been that Roger wanted to do a proper world tour, and Dave didn't. Note that the last few tours Roger has been doing, he's basically been exploring every civilized corner of the globe, apparently playing in any territory where there's enough electricity available to power an arena sized rock concert. By contrast, Dave's last solo tour, I think only played Europe and something like only 4 or 5 cities in all of North America.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I'm still half way convinced that maybe one of the reasons the Pink Floyd reunion didn't extend beyond the Live 8 concert might have been that Roger wanted to do a proper world tour, and Dave didn't.
    DG definitely did not want to tour because he wanted to do his owe tour, but it would not have happened anyway. At Live 8, RW wanted to do Another Brick part 2 and DG didnt think it was approriate. Gilmour basically said that Pink Floyd was invited to Live 8 and was going to play. Waters was not part of PF so it was Gilmours way or the highway. Rog did the set adding later said he rolled over for Gilmour but that would never happen again.

Basically they can be civil to each other but don't expect them to work together again except for a one off like Live 8. I would guess that is probably asking too much also.

If we could find something between DG's once a decade and RW's scorched earth policy on his tours but no new albums, the fans might be happier, but they owe us nothing.

Basically they can be civil to each other but don't expect them to work together again except for a one off like Live 8. I would guess that is probably asking too much also.
    they've done a couple things together since Live 8, but there may be too much water (no pun intended) under the bridge for any reunion to happen... I personally think that Rick Wright is the soul of Pink Floyd anyway, so I don't give a toss about Roger's ego or David's intolerance of it.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I personally think that Rick Wright is the soul of Pink Floyd anyway, so I don't give a toss about Roger's ego or David's intolerance of it.

I love the guy. I love all three of his albums, though truth be told, On an Island did take a bit to grab hold. Its wonderfully sublime, perfectly Gilmour. I saw the 84 tour at Jones Beach, it was outstanding. He's one of my top five guitarists ever, and if he does grace us with another album, I'm totally on board.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here's another Gilmour related question, while we're here:

When the Gdansk set came out, they were making available some downloads each week, and I never finished getting them. Does anyone know where one could download all these files? I can't quite remember what they were - not sure if it was all material included in the box, or if it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I love the guy. I love all three of his albums, though truth be told, On an Island did take a bit to grab hold. Its wonderfully sublime, perfectly Gilmour. I saw the 84 tour at Jones Beach, it was outstanding. He's one of my top five guitarists ever, and if he does grace us with another album, I'm totally on board.
    Found out about the Jones Beach concert on the day of the show. Grabbed blankets and then gf and went to beach and listened to the show on the sand outside the theater. Enjoyed it but was really bummed when I found out it there were tickets to be had. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't be a sellout.

It's amazing some of the things you can remember from long ago but I can't tell you what I had for breakfast.

^^^Yeah, it wasn't sold out, so when he came around this last time, I incorrectly assumed the same thing. WRONG!! I remember as he was soloing during Mihalis, the full moon was moving out from behind the old columns, amazing memories. That really was a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    ^^^Yeah, it wasn't sold out, so when he came around this last time, I incorrectly assumed the same thing. WRONG!!
    Well, the About Face tour and On An Island tour were two very different situations. One thing was that there were only something like 10 dates (I believe two in each city) in all of North America during the latter tour, so there were probably people coming from far away to see any given date on the NA leg of the tour.

The other thing was, when Dave did About Face and toured behind it, the individuals who comprised Pink Floyd did have the immediate name recognition that the band itself had. That's because of how Pink Floyd presented themselves to the public, in terms of not putting their faces on the album covers most of the time and, after Dark Side Of The Moon took off, doing next to no press interviews. So the record public at large (probably including a lot of people who made Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall as big as they were) didn't really know who David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Rick Wright or Syd Barrett were, in the same way that they know who Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, George Harrison, or Pete Townshend are.

Dave even addresses this dilemma in the Beyond The Floyd documentary, where he mentions that it didn't bother him that the promoters were using the "former Pink Floyd guitarist" angle in advertising the shows. I think he admitted that apart from aficionados, most people had no idea who he was. I think Roger admitted he had the same problem, people didn't know who he was, viz-a-viz Pink Floyd. And I think as a result, both of their initial solo tours didn't do the kind of business one would expect a tour by a couple guys with new albums out and a history that includes recording one of the biggest albums of all time.

According to one of the books I have on the band, Rick was even asked in a hotel lobby once by a fan who didn't recognize him if he had seen the members of Pink Floyd, and Rick's deadpan answer was he hadn't (apparently, a couple minutes later, the fan figured it out, and came back for an autograph).

But I think that more or less changed after the late 80's. There was a lot of publicity generated by the band's return, with Dave, Nick and Rick appearing on MTV and in magazines all over the world. Of course, part of that may have been because of Roger's now infamous and very public shit fit. But even after the whole legal fracas calmed down, there was still lots of TV appearances, lots of news reports about the band, etc. I imagine Roger doing stuff like the Berlin performance of The Wall certainly raised his profile, etc. So I think at least Dave and Roger's names and faces were put forth in the public mind in a way they hadn't been in the 70's or early 80's.

I like 'On An Island' the best-that and Richard Wright's 'Wet Dream' are my favorite PF solo albums.

I really like all 3 of David Gilmour's solo works. They are all very different in mood. The self titled one is David getting together with some of his friends and having some fun. Not much polish in the production area, like Richard Wright's Wet Dream. They both give you a look at what they bring to Floyd. About Face is full of 80's production, just as is Roger Water's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Both are also quite good. On an Island is a mature, quiet, beautiful album befitting his age and experience.

I have the DVD's of Remember that Night and the four disk Live in Gdansk. The former is quite good the latter is a must have.

Jon Neudorf
    I really like all 3 of David Gilmour's solo works. They are all very different in mood. The self titled one is David getting together with some of his friends and having some fun. Not much polish in the production area, like Richard Wright's Wet Dream. They both give you a look at what they bring to Floyd. About Face is full of 80's production, just as is Roger Water's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Both are also quite good. On an Island is a mature, quiet, beautiful album befitting his age and experience.

I have the DVD's of Remember that Night and the four disk Live in Gdansk. The former is quite good the latter is a must have.
    Have to agree with this. It's all quality anyway you slice it. I would also include Water's Amused To Death as essential listening.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Dave even addresses this dilemma in the Beyond The Floyd documentary, where he mentions that it didn't bother him that the promoters were using the "former Pink Floyd guitarist" angle in advertising the shows. I think he admitted that apart from aficionados, most people had no idea who he was. I think Roger admitted he had the same problem, people didn't know who he was, viz-a-viz Pink Floyd. And I think as a result, both of their initial solo tours didn't do the kind of business one would expect a tour by a couple guys with new albums out and a history that includes recording one of the biggest albums of all time.

According to one of the books I have on the band, Rick was even asked in a hotel lobby once by a fan who didn't recognize him if he had seen the members of Pink Floyd, and Rick's deadpan answer was he hadn't (apparently, a couple minutes later, the fan figured it out, and came back for an autograph).
    I think that the "faceless Floyd" thing is kind of overdone >> I mean, they had pretty recognizeable faces... And in DSOTM, the poster featured their faces in close-up

And Waters' Pros & Cons tour was very high-profile (with Clapton in tow), and it was announced that the whole second part of theshow was Floyd stuff... but yeah, the Floyd name useage made the difference that Water's tour was in arenas (3 times MLG in Toronto >> even with Clapton gone the third time around), while Gilmour was much smaller venues (just one show at Toronto's Massey Hall)

The self titled one is David getting together with some of his friends and having some fun. Not much polish in the production area, like Richard Wright's Wet Dream. They both give you a look at what they bring to Floyd. About Face is full of 80's production, just as is Roger Water's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Both are also quite good. On an Island is a mature, quiet, beautiful album befitting his age and experience.
    Yeah, Gilmour debut and AF had some kind of rawness to it, but it was mostly in the vocal dept.... but I disagree about Wright's WD album production, it was definitely reminiscent of APP albums (which were the productio reference of the later 70's)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.