Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream -I need your help!

Tangerine Dream -I need your help!

I hope you'll be able to help me with this problem that has arisen here at Kelly Towers.Have been having heated discussions with family members on the topic of the validity that TD are a prog band .I say "yes", others disagree.What do you say?Also which albums do you regard as essential listening?
    Cheers,Kelly.

I say "sure, why not?" Play them Force Majeure or Cyclone. You'll get different answers for what is 'essential'. Generally start off with the Virgin albums from 1974-77.

They're prog in my book, but who cares? They're awesome, and that's all that matters.

Phaedra and Rubycon (both on the aforementioned Virgin label) are the places to start. Then go back to the earlier/freakier stuff, like the monolithic Zeit.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

They are electronics like Mahavishnu Orchestra is fusion. Prog is short for progressive rock.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Prog related. See, that solves everything!

Essential albums? Lots of them.

Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Stratosfear
    Force Mejure
    Tangram
    Logos
    Poland
    Exit
    Thief soundtrack
    Sorcerer soundtrack

And many more...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I count them as prog but then I tend to have a broader definition than most. Essential? I'll go with:-

Ricochet
    Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Stratosfear
    Zeit
    Force Majeure
    Encore
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I count them as prog but then I tend to have a broader definition than most. Essential? I'll go with:-

Ricochet
    Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Stratosfear
    Zeit
    Force Majeure
    Encore
    Forgot to mention thoe two terrific live sets on your list, Ricochet and Encore! I'll pass on Zeit, unless I'm having serious trouble sleeping. Will never get the appeal, but that's ok.

They were played often on WRAS the GA State University Station when it's format was called Progressive. They are often referred to as "Ambient Electronic" in recent years. Back then, electronic music was considered a sub-genre of Progressive Music or "Art Rock"
    They certainly weren't Rock, but the term "New Age" had not been invented yet. It actually came about in about 1982-83.
    So yes, they are a sub-genre of Progressive music. I couldn't call them Prog Rock because they generally lack percussion.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Of COURSE they're prog. Sheesh!

I will give you 10:

Phaedra
    Rubycon
    Force Majeure
    Encore
    Stratosfear
    Poland
    Logos
    Underwater Sunlight
    Dream Mixes 4
    and of course ...
    Tangram!

They have a truckload of releases. Before Phaedra, there are several very experimental albums. Most all of the Virgin era albums are good to great. TD has a ton of soundtracks, but the quality is mixed. Standouts are Thief (my into to TD), Firestarter, Sorcerer, Heartbreaker (I know that last one will make me put my fire suit on ). Many of the earlier live albums are highly recommended. In the late 80' and 90's they went more towards rock, removing the sound design, new age and even dance. The 2000's found the ambitious Dante trilogy, though I did not care for it but at least they were trying. Recently the Dreamers are again finding their mark but IMHO they release so much product each year that its tough to keep up.

BUY a copy of "Ambient Monkeys". Play it. And then your heat will be directed at TD!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    BUY a copy of "Ambient Monkeys". Play it. And then your heat will be directed at TD!
    Add to that Dream Mixes 1 and a few others and if you started with them you wouldn't be back. Luckily, this site will tell you where the land minds are
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-28-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Add to that Dream Mixes 1 and a few others and if you started with them you wouldn't be back.
    Tyger...

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'll pass on Zeit, unless I'm having serious trouble sleeping. Will never get the appeal, but that's ok.
    Zeit is too unsettling for sleeping, or parts of it are, anyway. Play it loud and in the dark, with only the lights of your stereo illuminating the room. You still may not like it, but it does take you to another place like almost nothing else can. Sehr kosmich!

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Tyger...
    I like that one. I know the vocals throw off many, but some of them are very good. Alchemy of the Heart is an excellent instrumental.

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Zeit is too unsettling for sleeping, or parts of it are, anyway. Play it loud and in the dark, with only the lights of your stereo illuminating the room. You still may not like it, but it does take you to another place like almost nothing else can. Sehr kosmich!
    Zeit is definitely not for sleeping. It's a once or twice a year cd that gets played when the mood strikes, the lights are out, headphones on and there is no one else around. There is nothing else like it that I have found.

Tangerine Dream are not prog. (everyone join in) They're better than prog!

On the topic of Zeit, it's one of my favorite TD albums. The only problem is the thing is too damn short!

I've always heard/seen the term "Progressive Electronic" used to describe them (as well as Klaus Schulze and a bunch of similar acts) in articles and as headings for categories in record store racks. Admittedly, a lot of those acts became more rock-oreinted (and much less interesting IMHO) in the latter half of the 70's.

There's a lot of music out there that is better than Prog.

If some ignoramus' like to go around whining "they're not Prog" who cares what ignoramus' say anyway

I consider TD to be of the "Electronic" style of Prog music, but who has the right to decide in any absolute terms whether they are Prog or not. Do they make great music? Then perhaps they are better than Prog.

Phaedra is a real good place to start
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You have relatives who debate what is and isn't prog??!! My God!

My relative, even my nearest and dearest, tend to have the attitude 'Prog? Isn't that what John calls some of his weird music?"

Tangram

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Electronic prog. No question. One of my favorite bands. I used to be on the editorial board of the North American fan club.

Essential albums, to get a cross-section of their history (not necessarily my all-time favorites, although some are) would be Phaedra, Force Majeure, Logos, Poland, Livemiles, Rockoon, and Mars Polaris.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    I hope you'll be able to help me with this problem that has arisen here at Kelly Towers.Have been having heated discussions with family members on the topic of the validity that TD are a prog band .I say "yes", others disagree.What do you say?Also which albums do you regard as essential listening?
    Cheers,Kelly.
    Of course they were part of the Progressive music scene of the 1970's, no doubt at all. Essential listening ? There are 2 Virgin Records multi-CD boxes which offer the entire Virgin output very cheaply. That's kind of all you need, those were their peak years, and you'll find a surprising variety of quality albums within. Avoid anything after 1986.

Dont forget Exit, their last "great" album.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Avoid anything after 1986.
    Especially if you see an album called "Rockoon," run VERY VERY far in the other direction.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Dont forget Exit, their last "great" album.
    IMO, each of the albums following Exit was better than Exit until Optical Race.