Thread: Any Pantera fans?

Banned

Any Pantera fans?

I got the 20th anniversary edition of Cowboys From Hell by Pantera from Best Buy today for $12.99. I also have a greatest hits package by them, but I going to sell it since I have those songs on my ipod now. I used to have Vulgar Display Of Power, but I sold it because I thought it was too heavy and evil. I had the original CD version of that. I might go back to Best Buy to get the 20th anniversary of that, since I like heavy music now. What do you PEers think of Pantera? Prog connectionerek Shulman signed them to ATCO. Funny how his name isn't mentioned on Behind The Music, but I know they were talking about him.

yes, fan since day 1.
    CFH is really good but VDoP is the shit, I like the Terry Date produced albums the best. after that Phil's lyrical content seemed to be getting more negative and hateful just for the shock value, the tunes were getting clunkier, the sonics more shrill and just wasn't holding up to those first 2 albums, but still they rocked. they may have released The Great Southern Trendkill but they certainly set the trend for a lot of heavy bands that came after, a lot of which think they're heavier but not even in the same league.

out of curiosity what do the anniversary editions have that the originals don't?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    yes, fan since day 1.
    CFH is really good but VDoP is the shit, I like the Terry Date produced albums the best. after that Phil's lyrical content seemed to be getting more negative and hateful just for the shock value, the tunes were getting clunkier, the sonics more shrill and just wasn't holding up to those first 2 albums, but still they rocked. they may have released The Great Southern Trendkill but they certainly set the trend for a lot of heavy bands that came after, a lot of which think they're heavier but not even in the same league.

out of curiosity what do the anniversary editions have that the originals don't?
    The first bonus disc of Cowboys is a live show, the second disc is demos(including a demo called Will To Survive). Vulgar just comes with one extra disc, a DVD of a live show. The original album is remastered and augmented with a song called Piss.

Banned
    The early glam years.

Banned
    The high notes that Phil unleashes on this are almost Halford-like. Dime sounds like he's trying to channel EVH on the ending solo.

oops, I misspoke, I said since day 1 and should qualify that by saying first major record label release, I forgot all about that hair-metal era stuff (still heavier than any of the glam-metal guys).
    now that would be fun if there were some re-issued versions of that floatin' out there, or better yet, cheap downloads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    oops, I misspoke, I said since day 1 and should qualify that by saying first major record label release, I forgot all about that hair-metal era stuff (still heavier than any of the glam-metal guys).
    now that would be fun if there were some re-issued versions of that floatin' out there, or better yet, cheap downloads.
    I hear ya. I know that Vinnie Paul has his own label. So, it would be cool if he would reissue these records. Especially since the members of Pantera made peace with their original singer sometime before Dime was murdered. It was great for Terry to tell the story on Behind The Music of EVH attending Dime's funeral and putting the guitar from the back cover of Van Halen II in Dime's casket.

Hell yea! I like me some Pantera and some Sepultera, Anthrax, Biohazard, Machine Head, Slayer, Fear Factory, Megadeth to name but a few.

total guilty pleasure band for me. I remember hearing "Cemetary Gates" way back when and really liking it. Then I heard how Anselmo usually "sings" and didn't know what to think. But I found myself digging their music even with the Anselmo vocal delivery. And I found myself liking a lot of their songs, from "Walk" to even something ridiculously heavy like "Slaughtered". I don't know, those heavy riffs just always worked for me. I'd say my favorite song of theirs is "This Love". Yeah, the line in the song "I'd kill myself for you, I'd kill YOU for myself" goes against everything I believe in, but it's still a cool song. I probably shouldn't like them but still do. Such a tragic ending to Dimebag's life, beyond awful really.

BTW, I do think it's really funny that they started off doing the "glam" thing. I wonder if any fans of that era had a rude awakening when Anselmo joined and they released Cowboys From Hell. Had to be quite a shock at the drastic change.

Yanks, from a UK perspective I'm not so sure there were that many fans shocked at the change 'cos C from H was the first album we were really aware of, it was the album that got loads of airplay & made them in the UK. I certainly hadn't heard them or even heard of them before that & that is probably true for a lot of mainstream European metal fans.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yanks, from a UK perspective I'm not so sure there were that many fans shocked at the change 'cos C from H was the first album we were really aware of, it was the album that got loads of airplay & made them in the UK. I certainly hadn't heard them or even heard of them before that & that is probably true for a lot of mainstream European metal fans.
    I'm talking about fans of their glam period. I imagine at least in Texas they had a loyal following in the 80's. I did some research and found that Anselmo actually joined them in time to record the final album BEFORE Cowboys From Hell. It seems their sound was getting a bit heavier over time, but that album is still considered glam. To those people already a fan of the old Pantera, I wonder how many crossed over to the more extreme side once the band changed directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    BTW, I do think it's really funny that they started off doing the "glam" thing. I wonder if any fans of that era had a rude awakening when Anselmo joined and they released Cowboys From Hell. Had to be quite a shock at the drastic change.
    I imagine they must have had some kind of fan base from the early albums, as they had around for a few years and released, what was it? Four albums? But I think the last couple albums of the pre-Cowboys From Hell era saw them sort of leaning in that direction, so maybe it wasn't that much of a surprise.

For myself, I never even heard of the band until Cowboys From Hell. The first time I remember seeing anything about them, was an article in Guitar World. At the time, Dimebag was still known as Diamond Darrell, and in that particular article, he asked to be referred to as Dimebag because that's what his friends always called him.

So for me, the shock was finding out they had this glam metal skeleton in their closet. I remember reading where Dimebag said one of his seminal albums was On Through The Night by Def Leppard, and I thought "How does a guy go from liking Def Leppard to making Cowboys From Hell?".

Then again, Eric Clapton went from being a blues fanatic to recording songs like Tangled In Love and Forever Man, so I guess it's not all that weird.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Then again, Eric Clapton went from being a blues fanatic to recording songs like Tangled In Love and Forever Man, so I guess it's not all that weird.
    Forever Man? Not sure why that would be the example, I think it's quite a good song, and I LOVE the guitar work on it.

Banned
    Forever Man? Not sure why that would be the example, I think it's quite a good song, and I LOVE the guitar work on it.
    You may think it's a good song, but that is an example of what GuitarGeek is talking about. That is not the blues-based music that Clapton is know for. I like No Alibis and Change The World, but those would also be outside of the blues music that Clapton is know for. Forever Man sounds like a typical '80s song.

It's "the example" because it's a pop song. Yes, it's a good pop song, but it's still worlds away from the blues that inspired Eric to become a guitarist. Remember, he walked out of The Yardbirds because he thought For Your Love was a "sell out".

Also, Forever Man wasn't part of Behind The Sun as Clapton originally delivered it to Warners. They made him bump three songs off the album to make room for some material that Larry Waronker or whoever it was thought was more "radio friendly" or had "more top 40 potential" or however you wish to phrase it. And Forever Man was one of the three new songs.

The weird thing about that deal is there were several songs that strike me as being "radio friendly" and having "top 40 potential" for the time period, like the aforementioned Tangled In Love and Never Make You Cry. And even weirder, while Forever Man was the first single off the album, the second single, She's Waiting, was another song that was part of the original album. So much for "there's no singles here".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-23-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    You may think it's a good song, but that is an example of what GuitarGeek is talking about. That is not the blues-based music that Clapton is know for. I like No Alibis and Change The World, but those would also be outside of the blues music that Clapton is know for. Forever Man sounds like a typical '80s song.
    Well, one thing about that is that Forever Man and the two other "potential singles" were produced in LA, by Larry Waronker and Ted Templeman (ie Warner Brothers executives) and the back up band is comprised of first call LA studio musicians, I believe including Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro. So that's probably why it sounds perhaps slightly like "a typical 80's single".

Having said that, the rest of the album was produced by Phil Collins, and didn't exactly avoid the cliches of 80's music either. Eric played a guitar synth (!) on one song, and on another I swear I'm hearing a sequenced synthesizer part and synth bass. But most of the album, they actually used Eric's road band, so it sounds maybe a little less homogenous in comparison to a lot of other records that came out at around the same time.

Forever Man, the song itself, I think is actually a relatively good song. I just wish we could mix out the synths (particularly the one that's doubling the guitar riff on the intro).

Hey, a good song is a good song. And unless you are a complete purist, there certainly is a blues influence in the playing on Forever Man. All I know is, he plays some mean leads and a real tasty solo on that. And besides, Clapton stopped playing strictly blues music a couple decades earlier. In fact it's a small part of his career in the early days. But the blues was always present in his playing style.