Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: One Off Prog acts (not from Italy)

Mingo - Flight Never Ending

a stone cold classic of intense Prog (of the Fusion variety)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

and

Pangée - Hymnemonde
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

[QUOTE=Sputnik;747050]
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Funny to have something you said four years ago quoted.

Not that it really matters, but I think you're misunderstanding the context of what I was trying to say. Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned Volare. I knew Volare had two albums. I didn't really think they qualified for mention in this thread as a "one shot," and wouldn't have mentioned them myself. But someone did. Either they didn't know Volare had another album, or they felt a compilation (which this is) doesn't qualify.

This has nothing to do with Memoirs being inconsequential. I own and enjoy the album, and agree it isn't inconsequential. I was simply trying to explain why one might feel it didn't count as a second release in the context of this thread, which even if you feel that is true, is not the same as the album being inconsequential.

Hope that clarifies.

Bill
    It does, Bill, thanks! I did completely miss the context of your post...and missed the earlier post where Volare' was mentioned, apparently.
    And aside from my hackles getting up, I truly believe "Memoirs..." is a more honest representation of Volare's actual sound (speaking as someone lucky enough to see them live 10+ times). Talk about some guys on an island, writing and performing Canterbury-styled progressive rock in Athens, GA in the late 1990s. For me at that time, it was like discovering Bigfoot. Their untutored, independent achievement represented by the bulk of "Memoirs..." is, in my opinion, the real Volare'.
    I certainly don't have a gripe with "The Uncertainty Principle", but I do feel that their recording an album in a real "studio environment" beat the life, excitement, and spontaneity out of their music. I do enjoy it to a degree, but rarely play it. Being able to contrast what they REALLY sounded like against that sterile, painstakingly put-together record, quite likely done with multiple takes, punch-ins, etc., is almost like listening to a completely different band.
    Aside from the bonus tracks, the 5 songs from their original cassette, recorded to two-track hastily in an afternoon, so they would have something to sell at Steve Robert's Electric Eclectic Event (speaking of early, forgotten prog festivals), is really the sound of Volare'.
    The bonus tracks aren't bad either.

Their finest moments as a band occurred IN the moment, in a live situation...and "Memoirs..." is as close as one can come to that experience.

Geeze, even in the obscure listings it can't make the cut....

Jaugernaut AD - Contra Mantra