Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, if having some tracks that later appeared in the Shine On set is a disqualification, that rules out A Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason in their entirety! Anyway, if you must cavil about the duplicated tracks on Relics, it only makes sense to point to the ones that were already on album at the time Relics was released (and exactly which tracks those are depends on whether you were a US or European record buyer).
    Well, the point was that someone was saying that there's a bunch of songs on Relics that aren't on any other CD, and I was disputing that point. To me, Relics just isn't a very satisfying release, given the inclusion of music that can be heard elsewhere. I guess that in 1971, the first three albums were difficult to come by Stateside, so maybe it made more sense back then, but in 2013, I keep wishing it had Point Me At The Sky, Apples And Oranges, and It Would Be So Nice on it.

Oh, and I stand corrected, as Wikipedia says that only Relics has the same version of Paintbox as the single, apparently, every other CD release has a shorter edit.

BTW, what were the differences between the US and Euro versions of Relics? Wiki doesn't mention any.

Animals
    Wish You Were Here
    DSotM
    The Wall
    The Division Bell
    Meddle
    Ummagumma
    Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Atom Heart Mother
    More

1) Wish You Were Here

2) Dark Side Of The Moon

3) Animals

4) The Final Cut

5) Meddle

6) The Wall

7) The Division Bell

8) A Momentary Lapse of Reason

9) Relics

10) Obscured by Clouds

I will say that Roger's "Amused To Death" is a masterpiece that would rate 3rd on this list if it contained solo albums.

I am actually very happy that Animals rates so high. I think it was very underrated.

While I like virtually everything I've heard from their catalog (and I've heard the vast majority of it), I'll focus solely on the music that, as of right now, I possess:

1. The Wall
    2. Dark Side of the Moon
    3. Wish You Were Here
    4. Animals
    5. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    6. The Division Bell

I have the entirety of Echoes as well, and have much love for it.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, what were the differences between the US and Euro versions of Relics? Wiki doesn't mention any.
    Relics itself isn't different, but if you had the US version of Piper you already had "See Emily Play" but not "Bike," and if you had the UK version of Piper it was vice versa. In either case you already would have "Interstellar Overdrive," which makes that a bit of a pointless inclusion when the space could have been used for, as you noted, "Point Me At The Sky," "Apples And Oranges," "It Would Be So Nice," or even "Embryo."
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 06-26-2013 at 10:33 PM.

AHM
    WYWH
    Meddle
    The Wall
    Ummagumma
    DSOTM
    PATGOD
    TDB
    MLOR
    Animals

Not familiar enough with Saucer to put it on the list. TFC I've only heard a few times so that doesn't make the least either.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I liked Relics a lot but I had it when you couldn't get the non-album stuff anywhere else and I NEEDED it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Top 3:

Wish You Were Here
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Meddle

The rest:

Animals
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Atom Heart Mother
    Obscured By Clouds
    Umma Gumma
    More

It's hard for me to place The Wall. I think it's an excellent album, but I seriously OD'd on it decades ago, and feel no need to revisit it. So asking simply if I like it elicits an ambivalent response. The same goes for The Final Cut. It's a very mature album with some great tracks, so it ranks over the immature stuff that is post-Syd, but pre-Meddle in that way. However, I have a sustaining interest in the early stuff that the post-Animals hasn't really inspired.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. <big gap>
    3. DSotM
    4. Meddle
    5. The Division Bell
    6. Ummagumma
    7. SoS
    8. The Wall
    9. AHM
    10. Animals

I've had every album as they were released since Animals. They are all like old friends.

Animals rates just a hair above AMLoR... neither are essential and I rarely play any on my list below Ummagumma anymore
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 06-27-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    I don't know about a Pink Floyd top ten, but I can't get enough of the More and Obscured By Clouds soundtracks.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, other than Biding My Time, I believe every single song on Relics has been released elsewhere, either on one of the regular albums (eg Interstellar Overdrive, Remember A Day, etc) another compilation (eg See Emily Play and Arnold Layne), or as part of the Shine On boxset from the early 90's (which had an entire disc devoted to the 60's era singles, and therefore includes Julia Dream, Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, and Paintbox). So you really Relics is "essential" for one song only.
    Actually I was refering to vinyl era, when except Relics there was only The Best of Pink Floyd compilation.

I had to giggle about the comments about "this album was on everyone's list".
    Pink Floyd released only 14 studio albums. If it was a Top 5 list (as opposed to a Top 10) and Ummagumma and Obscured by Clouds were on everyone's list, I WOULD be surprised.

For the record, Relics was a compilation put out by EMI. A Nice Pair was the first two albums compiled for U.S. release by Capitol.

1. Pompeii

more or less a tie:
    AHM
    DSOTM
    WYWH
    Animals
    Meddle

next tie:
    More (yes, me like it)
    Wall

Umma (but not Gumma so much)
    10. Final Cut
    Last edited by Trane; 06-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I had to giggle about the comments about "this album was on everyone's list".
    Pink Floyd released only 14 studio albums. If it was a Top 5 list (as opposed to a Top 10) and Ummagumma and Obscured by Clouds were on everyone's list, I WOULD be surprised.
    That's a good point!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here's mine:

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. The Wall
    3. Dark Side of the Moon
    4. Animals
    <step>
    5. Meddle
    6. Atom Heart Mother
    <bigger step>
    7. Momentary Lapse of Reason
    8. The Final Cut
    9. Ummagumma
    10. Obscured by Clouds

Never got into Piper or Saucer - sorry.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

1 Atom Heart Mother
    2 Wish You Were Here
    3 Animals
    4 Meddle
    5 More
    6 Obscured by Clouds
    7 Saucerful of Secrets
    8 Ummagumma
    9 The Wall
    10 Dark Side of the Moon

WYWH
    The Wall
    Animals
    DSOTM
    The Final Cut
    Piper
    Meddle
    Saucerful
    The Division Bell
    Obscured
    Permission To Rock - Volume One
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247182
    featuring Barclay James Harvest, Fish, Marillion, Beardfish, Yes + more

Ummagumma
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    The Final Cut
    Wish You Were Here
    Animals
    Relics
    More

There's only 13 studio albums, right (counting Ummagumma despite a live disc and counting More and Obscured By Clouds).

I'll just do the ones I'd give a B+ or higher to:

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Dark Side
    3. Animals
    4. Piper
    5. Meddle
    6. Saucer

I'll play:

1-Dark side of the Moon
    2-Wish You Were Here
    3-Animals
    4-The Wall
    5-Atom Heart Mother
    6-Final Cut
    7-obscured By Clouds
    8-Meddle
    9-A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    10-Ummagumma
    11-The Division Bell
    12-A Saucerful of Secrets
    13-Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    14-More

DSotM and WYWH are always 1&2, though not always in that order. Piper and More are always at the bottom. It is very rare that I will play them and I never get thru the whole album. Kind of seeing if I missed something on those two because others rate them much higher, but after 40 years its safe to say I don't like them as a whole but there are really good tracks on both. Everything else is on my playlist and some part of it is usually played often. Lately it's been SoS and OBC.
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-27-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Curious why Embryo was left off of Relics? I personally love Relics.. great vibe to that album.. original artwork was great as well.. I have an import vinyl from Holland I believe that I bought back in the '70's called The Best of.. Masters of Rock series I believe which has the tunes that ended up on the Shine On single disc.. wish I could find that one on CD rather than purchase the box set..
    Hard to pick a top ten Floyd list.. I love them all.. Meddle then everything else?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Curious why Embryo was left off of Relics?
    Not sure if this is true or not, but I recall reading that the band never considered it a finished recording and they were pissed that it got released at all. I think it's great, myself; better than most of those other non-LP tracks (except for the wonderful "Point Me at the Sky").

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Point Me at the Sky").
    ... with Diamonds?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll focus on the ones I really like. I agree with the earlier post that anything pre-Meddle doesn't work for me.

1) Animals
    2) Dark Side Of The Moon
    3) Wish You Were Here
    4) Meddle

bigger gap

4) The Wall
    5) The dreaded Final Cut

Even bigger gap

6) Momentary Lapse of Reason
    7) Division Bell

I agree that if Amused to Death, Radio Kaos, or Pros and Cons were included that would round out my 10 with Amused To Death eviscerating The Wall.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)