Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate Yes (Rabin era)

Talk, by far. Rabin's best with Yes.
    Union - very spotty, but a couple of really good tunes snuck in there.
    Big Generator (although some of the songs are okay)

Songs? Heck, I can't remember the titles of MY songs, let alone anyone else's...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Why has this been moved to the OT forum ? To not say any version of Yes is not prog is blasthemy !

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I never managed to listen to an entire track of my inherited copy of Big Generator. I only ripped discs 1-3 of Yesyears for my MP3 player. Never heard Talk or 90215 or whatever it's called aside from what was on the radio, and I usually changed channels. A guy at work lent me Union and I never listened to it all the way through. I'm not sure how to make this into a list.

Maybe you could try, I dunno, maybe listening to them?

I know, it sounds crazy.....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Because they only suck in the first half of each song?

Oh, I see.

I thought maybe you were genuinely interested. I wasn't sure if you were just thread-shitting.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Relayer

Oh, I thought you meant Yes albums that were released when Yitzhak Rabin was prime minister of Israel...

A great suggestion Scott !

Love 90125, enjoy half of Big Generator, can hardly get through Union and don't get why Talk has such appeal amongst Yes fans. Much of it is like a slick AOR record- I don't have an issue with that as such, but it doesn't have much connection to the Yes I love. So it's very much a case of diminishing returns.

Oh, I see.

I thought maybe you were genuinely interested. I wasn't sure if you were just thread-shitting.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Really; I wasn't trying to threadcrap. I honestly couldn't get through these albums. (BG, Union & the Rabin-era disc of the box set). I can't even describe why. I just hated what I was hearing. I didn't even like their treatment of the classic material on the live tracks of the 4th CD in the box. I like pretty much everything up through Drama.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Love 90125, enjoy half of Big Generator, can hardly get through Union and don't get why Talk has such appeal amongst Yes fans. Much of it is like a slick AOR record- I don't have an issue with that as such, but it doesn't have much connection to the Yes I love. So it's very much a case of diminishing returns.
    Well, for me, _Talk_ is closer to classic Yes than ANY of the other Rabin-era recordings. Less pop structure, a more interesting direction, and they finally got rid of that CRAPPY sticks-on-a-table-top snare drum sound! That's why it appeals to me. As a matter of fact, I spin it more often than any Yes recording that has come since. I've heard stories/rumours about Rabin replacing drum sounds, or bass sounds...whatever. It sounds good to me, better than the others.

Big Gen
    Talk
    Union

Cinema
    Hearts
    I’m Running
    Final Eyes
    Miracle of Life
    The Calling

I used to rate Talk higher but I think the songwriting isn't as good as the stuff on 90125 or Big Gen so it slipped.

Nice to see the love for Final Eyes ! That one song for me is the closest sounding to the classic era !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Nice to see the love for Final Eyes ! That one song for me is the closest sounding to the classic era !
    absolutely.

1. Talk
    2. Big Generator
    3. 90125

songs:

Final Eyes
    I'm Running
    Endless Dream
    I'm Waiting
    Cinema

1. 90125
    2. Big Gen
    3. Talk

I once heard a marching band play "I'm Running." Epic!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Big fan of 90125, like less then half of BG. Union is pretty good in my book, but most of the songs i enjoy from that are the non Rabin songs. Bought Talk after KTA 1&2 and hated it. Haven't listened to it in 15 years. I gave it a spin because of this threat and while its no masterpiece, it is much better than I originally thought. Thanks for the thread as early prejudices kept me from enjoying Talk for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Why has this been moved to the OT forum ? To not say any version of Yes is not prog is blasthemy !
    It's a pure list thread. And the majority of those go to the OT forum as they did in the days of PEv2 yore. Note the Floyd one is there as well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think with 'Big Generator', the track 'I'm Running' gets closest to the Yes of the 70s- that ascending and descending vocal melody comes close to real greatness, IMHO. There's a few other nice things on there, but it doesn't hang together as well as '90125'. I don't mind 'Rhythm Of Love' but otherwise the shorter tracks are the weaker ones here, not as strong as the excellent ones on '90125'.

And I didn't include anything from 'Union' on my list, because all of the songs I like on Union happen to include Steve Howe. Though the intro to 'Miracle of Life' is pretty well done I have to admit. Still I do prefer Howe-Yes.

Albums
    Talk
    Union
    Big Generator

Songs

Hearts
    Changes
    Endless Dream
    Shoot High Aim Low
    It Can Happen

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    And I didn't include anything from 'Union' on my list, because all of the songs I like on Union happen to include Steve Howe. Though the intro to 'Miracle of Life' is pretty well done I have to admit. Still I do prefer Howe-Yes.
    ... if it was actually Howe and not Haun...

five songs I dislike from the Rabin era ....City of love....big generator....holy lamb....not crazy about Hearts....and...the studio version of Owner is good but the live version performed at the time was much better...

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    five songs I dislike from the Rabin era ....City of love....big generator....holy lamb....not crazy about Hearts....and...the studio version of Owner is good but the live version performed at the time was much better...

Agree with you on City of Love & Holy Lamb. Quite like the track Big Generator as it is 'different'. Hearts has been listed on just about everbody's fave Rabin era tracks so just goes to show how peoples tastes differ, even on great songs

In the latest issue of Rock Candy Magazine, YES guitarist Trevor Rabin reveals the unbelievable story of how the band’s 1983 tour in support of phenomenally successful comeback album, 90125, and Number One US hit "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", was put in jeopardy after an unfortunate accident.

“We were in a hotel swimming pool in Miami sipping champagne to celebrate the global success of ‘Owner Of A Lonely Heart’,” Rabin told Rock Candy Mag writer Malcolm Dome. “There was a water slide very close to me that I hadn’t really noticed. Suddenly a very large woman came hurtling down the slide and crashed straight into me. The collision was so bad that it ruptured my spleen and put me in hospital. I needed an operation and was out of action for a few weeks! It sounds so bizarre now – almost laughable – but at the time it was pretty scary and worrying.”

In a massive 16-page cover story featuring two exclusive in-depth interviews with Rabin and YES vocalist Jon Anderson, Dome forensically unpicks YES’s return to prominence in the ‘80s

“When I was working in the studio on ‘90125’ I definitely knew that what we were doing was taking the band into a new era,” says Anderson. “This wasn’t the ’70s Yes. It was a band that was built for the ’80s. When the album was released it became apparent that we were suddenly appealing to the MTV generation. We’d managed to get away from the idea that we were a big name from the previous decade that was no longer relevant – and I loved that!”

“The whole idea behind 90125 was that no one would be able to say ‘heard it all before'," confirms Rabin. “If that had happened then the entire exercise would have been a creative failure.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    “We were in a hotel swimming pool in Miami sipping champagne to celebrate the global success of ‘Owner Of A Lonely Heart’,” Rabin told Rock Candy Mag writer Malcolm Dome. “There was a water slide very close to me that I hadn’t really noticed. Suddenly a very large woman came hurtling down the slide and crashed straight into me. The collision was so bad that it ruptured my spleen and put me in hospital. I needed an operation and was out of action for a few weeks! It sounds so bizarre now – almost laughable – but at the time it was pretty scary and worrying.”
    This actually postponed the tour for a bit. The incredible end to this story is that Trevor actually has multiple spleens, so he was OK after healing!