Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands/musicians influenced by Yes?

Grandbell (one shot band from Argentina)
    Yezda Urfa
    Pentwater
    Easter Island

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Except for Genesis, it seems as if you are compiling influences that aren't classified as "prog?"

And all of your listings appear to be US or UK based.

If you start going through their influences on worldwide acts from about 1972 onward, this server may crash. The number will be in the thousands.
    Feel free to start, so long as it's something the musicians/bands themselves have said, better yet something you can give me a link or citation for, and not just your opinion. And yes, the 'prog' ones tend to be obvious, as well as too obscure for my purposes. I'm looking especially for bands/musicians that people have actually heard of.
    Last edited by ssully; 06-28-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webbcity View Post
    If you're looking for more well-known/mainstream acts (and it seems like you are), as opposed to prog bands, here are a few:

Earth, Wind, & Fire (I've seen this mentioned in a couple of places incl. an old Goldmine magazine interview)
    Steve Arrington of Slave (as mentioned in liner notes to a Slave greatest hits CD)
    Jeff Buckley
    Joe Jackson
    Styx
    Ambrosia

Wish I had more citations for these, but I do remember seeing them in various places around the web or in print elsewhere.
    Thanks. Please send cites if you can find them. (Joe Jackson? Wow.)

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Feel free to start, so long as it's something the musicians/bands themselves have said, better yet something you can give me a link or citation for, and not just your opinion. And yes, the 'prog' ones tend to be obvious, as well as too obscure for my purposes. I'm looking especially for bands/musicians that people have actually heard of.
    Well, for example, if you read those 70s back issues of that rock magazine from Argentina (name escapes me), they have a section with current bands there and they list influences and favorite albums. Yes comes up again and again and again ...

On the progressive metal front, Brann Dailor, the drummer of Mastodon, cited Yes as a major influence during progressive metal epiosde of the Metal Evolution series. During the same episode, Mike Portnoy referred to him as "the Bill Bruford of metal".
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Starcastle. So obvious I'm amazed its not on your list.

DtB
    +1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Starcastle. So obvious I'm amazed its not on your list.

DtB
    Maybe the obvious factor is why it's not on the list?

Another obvious one: Sherman Hemsley a.k.a. George Jefferson of the Jeffersons.....probably one of the most documented cases of another musician influenced by "Yes"

For those that don't know: he even recorded an album with Jon Anderson called "Festival of Dreams" that is still unreleased (WANT!). Sherman Hemsley was also an accomplished jazz piano player and loved R&B but he was also a huge fan of Prog Rock, particularly Yes and Nektar of which he had been a devoted fan for decades

as a side note, he dances to Nektar on one episode of The Jeffersons...He was originally supposed to dance to some R&B song that the producers had cued but Sherman replaced it with Nektar for this scene:

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Hemsley
    Last edited by klothos; 07-03-2013 at 02:59 AM.

Keith Levene, the original guitarist and co founder of Public Image Ltd, cited Steve Howe and Yes as inspirations on a number of occasions:

"Levene's infamous circular rhythms, he claims, indirectly come from things Yes guitarist Steve Howe taught him. 'When I was fifteen I went to work for my favorite band as a roadie—which was Yes—and I was a terrible roadie. Yeah, so even though I play nothing like him, Steve Howe is still my favorite guitarist. I don't copy him. I do get a lot of my internal knowledge, or feeling on guitar, or what you can do and what kinds of sounds you can make from Steve Howe. I think he is so damned good; he taught me a lot, when I worked for Yes, but he didn't know he was my hero.'"
    http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES..._Levene85.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Another obvious one: Sherman Hemsley a.k.a. George Jefferson of the Jeffersons.....probably one of the most documented cases of another musician influenced by "Yes"

For those that don't know: he even recorded an album with Jon Anderson called "Festival of Dreams" that is still unreleased (WANT!). Sherman Hemsley was also an accomplished jazz piano player and loved R&B but he was also a huge fan of Prog Rock, particularly Yes and Nektar of which he had been a devoted fan for decades

as a side note, he dances to Nektar on one episode of The Jeffersons...He was originally supposed to dance to some R&B song that the producers had cued but Sherman replaced it with Nektar for this scene:

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Hemsley
    All this was mentioned in the RIP Sherman Hemsley thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    All this was mentioned in the RIP Sherman Hemsley thread.
    I know: I ran a "Search" before I posted it.......It is still relevant in this thread, isn't it?
    Last edited by klothos; 07-03-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Bob Drake is very YES influenced.
    On 5uu's Crisis in Clay there are 2 direct quotes from ... Tales (If memory serves).

For those that don't know: he even recorded an album with Jon Anderson called "Festival of Dreams" that is still unreleased (WANT!).
    They talked about doing a project together and Hemsley had some demos, but the collaboration never seems to have progressed very far. They didn't record an album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Bob Drake is very YES influenced.
    On 5uu's Crisis in Clay there are 2 direct quotes from ... Tales (If memory serves).
    There is a little parody of "The Ancient" during "What Price Virtue". Dave Kerman and I were equally responsible for that, making a little Yes joke for our amusement. Otherwise indeed Yes were one of the main inspirations for me along with Beatles and Henry Cow (Unrest) and the first Art Bears record, 50's-60's pop and sci-fi music and good 70's rock AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 07-03-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Well, Bob's example sure serves as illustration of the point that "influence" transcends "soundalike".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by hvgrace View Post
    Keith Levene, the original guitarist and co founder of Public Image Ltd, cited Steve Howe and Yes as inspirations on a number of occasions:

"Levene's infamous circular rhythms, he claims, indirectly come from things Yes guitarist Steve Howe taught him. 'When I was fifteen I went to work for my favorite band as a roadie—which was Yes—and I was a terrible roadie. Yeah, so even though I play nothing like him, Steve Howe is still my favorite guitarist. I don't copy him. I do get a lot of my internal knowledge, or feeling on guitar, or what you can do and what kinds of sounds you can make from Steve Howe. I think he is so damned good; he taught me a lot, when I worked for Yes, but he didn't know he was my hero.'"
    http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES..._Levene85.html

He was already on the list, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Maybe the obvious factor is why it's not on the list?
    See post #27

+1
    see post #27

I know: I ran a "Search" before I posted it.......It is still relevant in this thread, isn't it?
    I guess, except it will be hard to interview Sherman at this point.

There is an awesome 70s band called Ethos (not to be confused with the new Ethos)...I had an album by them called "Open Up" and I remember reading somewhere that they were very heavily influenced by Yes. They are spectacular but there is very little on the internet about them which is peculiar because they were on a major label

EDIT:

Awesome! I just found a few of these on YouTube...Im glad this thread made me think of these guys

He was already on the list, but thanks.
    Ooops. Eye strain....

Thanks. Please send cites if you can find them. (Joe Jackson? Wow.)
    Joe Jackson's "Symphony No. 1" incorporates jazz, rock and classical and is quite prog-friendly. (Same for "Will Power" but I think the Symphony is better.

If one were to list all of the bassists who bought Rickenbacker 4001 basses with round wound strings one would have a very long list indeed.