Thread: Great Live Blues

Great Live Blues

Larry Carlton, Nathan East, Bob James, and a drummer I don't know but is rock solid. This is Probably Larry's best Blues performance ever.

yeah!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

A bit more jazzy than bluesy and a somewhat soul-less to me. But, really well-played.

I was lucky enough to see Larry play at a free show many years ago. He's one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A bit more jazzy than bluesy and a somewhat soul-less to me. But, really well-played.

I was lucky enough to see Larry play at a free show many years ago. He's one of the best.
    Would I be right if i guessed you only watched less than half of this?

you really had me with the title of the thread, I was expecting something more like this

A bit more jazzy than bluesy and a somewhat soul-less to me.
    I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I didn't hear much in the way of jazz vocabulary (although Larry's certainly capable of playing jazz as he's demonstrated many times), but I did hear a lot of blues. And it was hardly devoid of soul to my ears.

Anyway, I liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Would I be right if i guessed you only watched less than half of this?
    Nope. You would be wrong. I watched the entire thing. I hear both jazz and blues and little, if any, soul. Hell, you can just tell by watching the expressions that there's no pain being felt.

Hell, you can just tell by watching the expressions that there's no pain being felt.
    Don't get mad if you were serious about that, but I'm ! Man, I've seen musicians grimace and contort their faces so badly that they could've gotten stuck like that... and they weren't playing shit. In turn, I've heard some of the most intense, emotional music come out of musicians that were just standing there, expressionless. Sometimes you just can't listen with your eyes.

as much as you want. Don't worry, that's not my criteria for determining the purity of blues-playing. I still feel that there's little there that EMOTES the blues. Yes, there are blues notes and chord structures, but there's much more to performing the blues than playing the notes. Played right, the listener will feel the emotion, as well. I certainly didn't.

It's hard to feel anything blue when the musician's smiling away and having the time of his life playing it. It's like saccharine, kinda sweet, but not the same as the real thing.

as much as you want. Don't worry, that's not my criteria for determining the purity of blues-playing.
    Whew, that's a load off my mind!

But seriously, we all perceive music differently. I've heard Larry sound more soulful on other things and I've heard players summon up much stronger emotional content than that, but I still liked it.

But don't you think blues players have as much fun on stage as anybody else? I've seen B.B. King twice and he seemed like a pretty happy guy, regardless of whatever it was that gave him the blues.

No, I didn't say they didn't have fun, or couldn't for that matter. But, I have always had a problem with people singing blues songs as though having the blues is a great thing. They seem to have lost their way. Or when they yell out to the crowd, "Does anyone out there have the blues?" and people cheer as though it's a good thing. I realize that's a bit pedantic, but I always found it odd and lacking purity. I realize some of the true greats do it, but it's still a bit strange.

When I hear Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, or Bessie Smith, I can't imagine them smiling about what they're singing.

ronmac-
    The Blues are a style of music. It is not defined by feeling bad. Your perceived definition of the genre is as limited as saying Prog is defined by odd time signatures and can not be in 4/4 time. Blues are about feeling, but not just feeling bad.

Look, I'm not looking to debate what the blues is or isn't. I don't need a lesson. You might want to do a little research.

Blues is a lot of things, here is one of my favorites

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice stuff, thanks for posting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The great Bessie Smith pouring out all her pain and sorrow:

The drummer is Harvey Mason
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The guitar solo's in 5/4 on that mighty fine Jimmy Agren clip.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

How does this sound ? I always like hearing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oVPOUAS2s

Thanks for posting. I definitely enjoyed that. Good upbeat Blues.

Thanks Zeuhlmate. Some tasty Proto Prog Blues Rock. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The guitar solo's in 5/4 on that mighty fine Jimmy Agren clip.
    Yes, Jimmy Agren is perhaps the missing link between blues, prog and RIO -
    If you haven't noticed, its his brother Morgan from Mats/Morgan on drums
    On their website there are more great samples & clips from the bands 4 albums http://www.jimmyagren.com/