Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knifeworld "Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat"

chalkpie

Knifeworld "Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat"

I discovered the existence of this phenomenal UK band through my recent binge of Cardiacs and Tim Smith-related projects. Cardiacs are the best band in the world, BTW. That's not debatable, sorry lads. Anyway when I discover that Kavus Torabi (a regular contributor to this electronic mecca of prog-loving nerds) played guitar with Cardiacs on the 2005 two-volume Special Garage Concerts (which BTW, has entered my short list of favorite all-time live albums on par with Roxy and Elsewhere, VCDTOSA Vol. 2, Make a Jazz Noise Here, etc.) I was pretty jazzed.

OK, so the album. I will admit that I do need more listens as there is a lot going on musically and production-wise (good thing), but I will say that this is an album and a band that should be talked about more and hopefully discovered, but there is stiff-competition with those new Yes remasters 8.0 in 23.16 surround, (or was that the time signature?). C'mon guys - take the plunge and at least listen to it on Spotify (like I did) before buying it. Great digipak with interesting artwork and a vertical picture of Kavus in some celestial Elvish Forest that reminds me of some hippy that got lost in The Fellowship of the Ring, and its great!

Basically this is an album that makes this fellow musician/composer jealous. When I'm listening, I hear an idea or texture within the arrangement/production that makes me say "Son-of-a-bitch!..how do they think of that!?" and then it becomes inspirational and then I knick it. Stravinsky told me so. This can be thought of as a pop album, but the kind of pop associated with FZ, Crimson, Cardiacs, Keneally, California (Bungle), SGM etc. But basically its just some of the structures that make this close to pop, but tonally there is a ton going on, as well as rhythms. The combo of male/female vocals is another great attribute this band has, and as musicians they are major league accomplished players. There is an amazing blend of both tonal and dissonant harmonies, and I hear cool modes like the Lydian pop up. Also I've noticed some "Tim Smith-isms" in a few chord structures, which could be a mere coincidence but I know that Tim is embedded in Kavus's soul I'm sure. Moods can be range from classic British pop, metal, prog, avant/RIO, pastoral, and more, and the variety is another thing that keeps me intrigued as a listener. Spectacular melodies reside in a super detailed production, with musical textures galore. There is a ton of shit going on virtually every second of this album, but its never overdone and serves the composition perfectly as would a great composer with an orchestra of chamber group. A true work of art.

As a FZ Freak, I have always viewed Mike Keneally as the great successor to the master. Although I'm much newer to Cardiacs and Knifeworld, it seems like Kavus shares the same relationship with Tim Smith. There is not a bigger compliment, trust me! Or maybe I'm just off my fucking rocker? I don't buy a ton of prog anymore, so I'm more selective when I do, and this is an album that is one of the best things post-2000 to these ears. I'm not sure I would have dug this album 10-15 years ago, but these days this hits the spot big time.

Simply killer. I'm gonna explore the other two EP's at Spotify and then probably order them I'm sure. Thanks Kavus!

Thank you so much for these kind words. Reading that third paragraph was lovely. Yes!...someone 'gets' it. Thank you!

I'm so glad you are enjoying the album. Although it came out in 2009, I actually wrote and recorded the basic tracks in 2001. It was never meant to be a band, more a solo album. My involvement in Cardiacs, Guapo and various other projects meant it remained unfinished for the next few years and it wasn't until 2007 that I decided to take the plunge and complete it.

Since then, with a few line up changes Knifeworld has become a full 8-piece band with three part horn section including a bassoon. The second album, which will feature this line up, is halfway completed and I think our most detailed work yet. I think of everything that went before as a practice run for what this new one will hopefully be. Sort of.

The two EPs, particularly the last one 'Clairvoyant Fortnight', are a little closer to how the band sounds now.

Quite a surprise to open PE this morning and see this post.

Absolutely and completely agree with chalkpie. If you are into avant pop, Cardiacs and the like, buy the Knifeworld catalog immediately.

Stumbled across a live review in Prog a few months ago, noticed the Guapo connection and thought it sounded interesting. Glad I did; probably my best discovery in the past 4 or 5 years. Without a doubt I've spun Clairvoyant Fortnight more than any other release I gotten this year. Prime of Our Decline is one of those songs that reminds me how much I still love discovering new music after all these years. Can't wait until the new album is finished and hope I don't have to travel to the UK to see them live.

P.S. Sorry Kavus for coming off all gushing fanboy.

Very nice write up & overview, Frank. It's a superb album and I'm sure you'll enjoy the EP's that came after it too. As well as the other sources/influences you mentioned, Knifeworld has also got quite a hint of XTC/Dukes/psych sprinkled into the melting pot, all lovingly warped by that nice chap with the gretsch.

I love Knifeworld. The debut and two EPs are excellent, and I'm really looking forward to the new album.

I actually became a fan of Cardiacs/Tim Smith after listening to Knifeworld, so being a fan of them has led me to a lot of great music.

chalkpie
    OK, so a few fans here at least. More folks need to hear this band, simple as that.

https://soundcloud.com/knifeworld

You can check out some tunes from the Buried Alone album, plus more from the other two EP's at that soundcloud page. Also, the full albums are available at Spotify. This thread is gonna get some bumps so some newbies can check out this music and give some feedback.

Great stuff! Kavus is an inspired (and inspiring) songwiriter!
    Fun video as well:

Thanks folks.
    You can listen to and/ or buy everything here:
    http://knifeworld.bandcamp.com/

Eh, it's OK - it's no One Direction but then again, what is?

(titter!)
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Kavus is quite talented, extremely nice and still has all of his hair. makes me sick :P

in all seriousness, i've liked pretty much everything i've heard from Knifeworld and also his other projects. our current favourite is the North Sea Radio Orchestra, which he recently turned us on to. indeed, that whole constellation of artists, including Kavus, William Drake, Tim Smith et al is just brilliant and highly inspiring. the music is otherworldy and crazy good. amazing stuff

AH! when you're done with your bleeding, could you give me a reading? ok

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I love it all, but HMS Washout is my favourite "tune" - and by tune I of course mean prog/punk/ambient/chamber work masterpiece.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/knifeworld
    Thanks for this, Frank -- been spending the morning here and very much enjoying that which I am experiencing. Cool stuff!

I love Knifeworld, pretty much the best band in the UK at the moment.

Good timing - I was going to start a thread on this album last week, except I was only on my second listen and didn't really have much to say about it, other than that it was spellbinding. Now on my fourth listen and I'm starting to notice a lot of neat little musical tricks that I missed the first time (stuff you guys probably noticed right away, but forgive me I'm slow). I liked Kavus previous record with the Monsoon Bassoon but IMO this blows it out of the water. It definitely rocks as hard, but it chooses its spots better. It's the sort of album that feels labored over, in a good way. Anyway I would say if you're a Cardiacs guy this is almost certainly the best band going. You can tell that the spirit of Tim Smith is pretty strong in these dudes, and of all the Cardiacs-related groups this is the only one that really sounds a lot like them. I mean nobody really makes that kind of music so really getting into this album has been awesome. Since they were mentioned I'll point out that North Sea Radio Orchestra is really fantastic as well, but in a much different way. Glad to hear there's another LP on the way. If nothing else we can agree Kavus has the best hair in prog right now, and maybe the best since Fripp cut his afro.

Great band!

I've only heard one song, "In a Foreign Way", but I love the application of bassoons, saxes, and glockenspiel, next to 'conventional' rock instrumentation. The music, while complex, is graced with melodic lines that stick in your head and make you reach for it again. Kavus is a true talent, glad to see them getting their due praise here on PE!

Now, to get my hands on one of those old fashioned 'Compact Discs' ...

Bought the album and really enjoyed it
    Frankie you should set up a blog or a site were you recommned us your fav music !

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Bought the album and really enjoyed it
    Frankie you should set up a blog or a site were you recommned us your fav music !
    Thanks man...but I waste enough time here as is!

I guess this place is my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Great band!

I've only heard one song, "In a Foreign Way", but I love the application of bassoons, saxes, and glockenspiel, next to 'conventional' rock instrumentation. The music, while complex, is graced with melodic lines that stick in your head and make you reach for it again. Kavus is a true talent, glad to see them getting their due praise here on PE!

Now, to get my hands on one of those old fashioned 'Compact Discs' ...
    Great band. And look out for all the associated bands from all the other members. Talented sods....

Too kind.

New stuff on the way....

x

Excellent -something new is always good.

I recall the reception they got at Summer's End last year - it was just one of those special moments when 250 people discover their new favourite band. The poor merch-person (Matt Stevens himself!!!) was swamped. Not only are they "talented sods" but they are the nicest people that you could possibly meet.

I really like this one too, but I have to admit that I gave it away for my ex-wife's 35th birthday (we're great friends). I'll have to buy it anew.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    Excellent -something new is always good.

I recall the reception they got at Summer's End last year - it was just one of those special moments when 250 people discover their new favourite band. The poor merch-person (Matt Stevens himself!!!) was swamped. Not only are they "talented sods" but they are the nicest people that you could possibly meet.
    That was a somewhat stressful day, to say the least..... But they were stunning. And that.

I liked the band's FB page so I wouldn't forget about them.

Threads like this get buried too quickly for me to keep up with them all.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This song is my favorite by them. Don't miss the last three minutes, intense and amazing.

Chalkpie, just so as you don't miss out on any of Mr. Torabi's wonderful work I want to make sure you are aware of The Monsoon Bassoon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i3BM...d0W9zAJT2-d2-a