Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airbag from Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    In my view, the new Airbag's album is an ordinary JUNK.
    hmmm...ok. I'd be keen to check out what you consider not to be junk (not necessarely coming from Norway).

Well....if you look further down the main page....Freedom to Ride seems to be one choice.

I'm curious about Airbag...will check out samples later this evening.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    I'd be keen to check out what you consider not to be junk (not necessarely coming from Norway).
    If you wanna have access to the new British group that can bring something VERY SPECIAL for Floyd-ish legacy then take a listen...

https://freedomtoglide.bandcamp.com/album/rain

As I wrote in the "Best Albums of 2013" thread some days ago:

Deceived. I think it is the weakest of the 3 because they're isn't much going there. Close to the "sleepy" level with the guitarist in a predominat role and the keyboards as wallpaper. You only get an outburst from the "atmospheric" radio-friendly aura of the album on the last song "Surveillance (Pt.s 2-3)". However, if you are a fan of pure derivative Floyd bands with great guitar in them, you 'll like it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I think it is the weakest of the 3 because they're isn't much going there. Close to the "sleepy" level with the guitarist in a predominat role and the keyboards as wallpaper. You only get an outburst from the "atmospheric" radio-friendly aura of the album on the last song "Surveillance (Pt.s 2-3)". However, if you are a fan of pure derivative Floyd bands with great guitar in them, you 'll like it.
    Slightly harsh but I do agree with the sentiment.

This band are to Pink Floyd as Big Big Train are to Genesis I guess

^^^

Big Big Train in their last 4 albums have become a really interesting band and constantly improving...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Slightly harsh but I do agree with the sentiment.

I like AIRBAG's second album very much though...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Airbag = great

Gasbag = junk
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    If you wanna have access to the new British group that can bring something VERY SPECIAL for Floyd-ish legacy then take a listen...

https://freedomtoglide.bandcamp.com/album/rain
    that streaming thing is quite handy, eh ... saves a lot of money. I'd rather pass on this one. Reasons: instrumentation is too simplistic. Straigtforward 4/4 on all of that (pretty much). There is no drumming as such, no bass guitar "playing", guitar... sounds 96% as DG on WYWH. Too much lyrical content, though the subject is quite significunt, but I'd like to see more room for instrumental showcase. See, I'm not saying "junk" or "masterpiece". It just doesn't ring any bell of mine, same as Big Big Train... At least Airbag adapted their guitar tone to 21 century realm. And there's heaps more going on in instrumental department.
    Last edited by sergio; 11-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I need to listen. They clearly have a lot of active admirers on another website (no names, no pack drill).

hey fellas, correct me if I'm wrong but Show seems to be mastered at a VERY low level/volume. I had to crank up my amp waaay up to achieve desirable sonic impact (and that is a proper CD, not a steal...). Production is not the strongest point much to my regret. That'd sound awesome with say Bogren at controls. Or that guy who mixed Nemo albums (JPL, I'm ashamed of myself to have forgotten the name)

...also re "pure derivative"... I hear quite a bit of Nick Barrett at times (and maybe even Latimer) and I also appreciate the way guitar tone is switching from patch to patch. Very multilayerd indeed. Also drummer seems like x100 times more capable than Mason.

Go post on music that does ring your bell.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    that streaming thing is quite handy, eh ... saves a lot of money. I'd rather pass on this one. Reasons: instrumentation is too simplistic. Straigtforward 4/4 on all of that (pretty much). There is no drumming as such, no bass guitar "playing", guitar... sounds 96% as DG on WYWH. Too much lyrical content, though the subject is quite significunt, but I'd like to see more room for instrumental showcase. See, I'm not saying "junk" or "masterpiece". It just doesn't ring any bell of mine, same as Big Big Train... At least Airbag adapted their guitar tone to 21 century realm. And there's heaps more going on in instrumental department.
    Hi Sergio, I just had my first listen to Airbag's newest release and I think it is amazing. I also thought the lastest Big Big Train is very good. I do not know you, but what is your background to be so critical of this release. Obviously you are not a fan of this type of music, I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by CLOSE TO THE EDGE View Post
    Hi Sergio, I just had my first listen to Airbag's newest release and I think it is amazing. I also thought the lastest Big Big Train is very good. I do not know you, but what is your background to be so critical of this release. Obviously you are not a fan of this type of music, I am!!
    hey there, that was my reponse to someone labelling Airbag as junk suggesting at the same time Freedom To Glide to be a masterpiece of some sort. I also stressed out that hanging out "tags" isn't appropriate as musical tastes are very subjective. Rather than just bluntly saying "junk" I explained myself as to why I prefer one over another. I think that's a fair approach. My preferences are biased towards heavier side, that is why BBT have no impact with me, I really wanted to like them because of NdV presence... but it didnt work.

As I listen to the latest effort of Airbag from Norway, I feel rather disappointed.
    I bought the album because of the raving reviews I read all over the www.
    But what did I buy?
    As I listen to the music that's offered on the album, a Porcupine Tree single comes to mind: Four Chords That Made A Million.
    Most of the songs on the album are build on three or four chords and are utterly boring to my ears.
    No tempo shifts, all of the songs are more or less the same.
    No hooks whatsoever, just straight on all across the album.
    What I do hear are some Pink Floyd bits (especially the guitar solo's or at least the first few notes of them) and they all must be huge fans of Marillion, Hogarth era.
    The lyrics only state the obvious and there really is nothing to get excited about.
    Even the cover art is no feast for the eye.
    Lots of people calling themselves prog lovers hail about this album like it's the best that happened to them in a long time.
    So I have to conclude it must be me.
    I shouldn't expect craftsmanship, creativity or music of a high standard in a prog album anymore.
    Or maybe I shouldn't buy an album just because other 'prog lovers' hail about it.
    Just my mistake...

So, you didn't like it?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I snagged the Airbag as well, based on this thread. Not really hearing much that engages me, to be honest. I hear less cloning of PF than PT, personally. Not that that is automatically a bad thing, but there is little here that has the same caliber of songwriting as Wilson or Gilmour/Waters/Wright.

It's easy to ape a sound, especially with modern gear being as accessible as it is. Matching the songwriting and arrangement skills is another story, IMHO. Personally I think RPWL has done better at taking the PF elements but giving them a new context that is a bit more original and creative.

All of this is IMHO though, and maybe on repeat listens something will click with me.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I own and enjoy All Rights Reserved, however after listening to a few camples I'm not really bowled over by what I've heard. Nothing bad about the new album, but I do feel I already own it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's easy to ape a sound, especially with modern gear being as accessible as it is. Matching the songwriting and arrangement skills is another story, IMHO. Personally I think RPWL has done better at taking the PF elements but giving them a new context that is a bit more original and creative.
    I actually think their previous effort, All Rights Reserved, does this as well as any RPWL album I've heard. Another band that comes to mind is Satellite (except not their latest effort, which has them aping Nickleback)
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Identity still is the best Airbag album for me, but I must confess that the new one has been growing alot on me lately. I actually find it stronger than All Rights Removed. It's a grower so give it a few spins!

I liked the first two Airbag-CD's a lot, but what I heard from The Greatest Show was a bit to heavy for me. After that Bjørn Riis made a fine solo-album, so I was happy with that one. But when I found The Greatest Show on double-LP I must confess I started to hesitate, especially because I love this kind of (Hipgnosis-like) album-covers. Yesterday I bought it (couldn't resist it lying there for months) and listening to the complete album is more satisfying than the tracks I heard before. The only strange thing are the length of the sides, some of which are almost single-like:

Tracklist
    A1 Surveillance (Part 1) 2:23
    A2 Redemption 7:02

B1 Silence Grows 5:54
    B2 Call Me Back 11:15

C1 The Greatest Show On Earth 7:02

D1 Surveillance (Part 2-3) 16:45

Jon Neudorf
    Love me some Airbag. Excellent band. Don't find them boring at all.

Regards,
    Jon