Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Musicians "out of tune"..

The piano on You are My Window on Nazz III is so out of tune I'm surprised they put the track on the album.
    Also the bass on parts of Renaissance King Biscuit CD is out of tune along with electrical buzzing and other anomalies.

Oh and then there's the infamous middle section of Crimson And Clover, which at least on it's original release (I understand it's been corrected on recent reissues) where they spliced two pieces of tape, that were recorded at different speeds. When the middle section kicks in with that bassline, it's a bit flat in relation to the first part of the track.

BTO, "Takin' Care of Business", the lead is horrendously out of tune, especially by the end...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    BTO, "Takin' Care of Business", the lead is horrendously out of tune, especially by the end...
    Well, there's a song I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing again and not miss it.

I recently heard Marty Balin's Hearts on Siruis/XM the other day. The vocals are shocking out of tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I recently heard Marty Balin's Hearts on Siruis/XM the other day. The vocals are shocking out of tune.
    Just like on Miracles...

^Hearts is even worse!

I have a Pink Floyd boot wherein they're playing "Saucerful..." & Gilmour screws up the celestial choir big time.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

The intro of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys. I always thought it was an old, beat up player piano or something. I understand it's a guitar. Whatever that is it's cringe inducing. I know, I know, to many it's "brilliant." To me it's just out of tune and almost ruins the song.

Not that anyone probably wants to hear the song again in this lifetime anyway, but the Mellotron in Freebird is horrifyingly out of tune. They probably couldn't find the knob that tunes it...

The 12 string on the early Stones singles was always way out. My Les Paul is extremely stable, as long as I break new strings in before playing on stage.

Is she out of tune or not?

"The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Darius Rucker, the other night at the Spurs/Heat basketball game, singing the "Star Spangled Banner". Oh, Lord; even my non-musical wife cringed when he got to "...land of the FREEEEE". He was almost a half-step flat, and the rest of it wasn't much better.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Is she out of tune or not?
    Not. She's playing with the melody a bit, sometimes glissing (sliding around), but I thought she sounded fine.

Find me some live videos of "The Boss" and I'll show you some out of tune singing.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Not. She's playing with the melody a bit, sometimes glissing (sliding around), but I thought she sounded fine.

Maybe that's what going on here too? Especially at the 3:50 mark.

What about the bass on Thick as a Brick just before the lyrics, "The Poet and the Painter casting shadows on the water..."?

Sounds out of tune to me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

No, I think Marty just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    What about the bass on Thick as a Brick just before the lyrics, "The Poet and the Painter casting shadows on the water..."?

Sounds out of tune to me.
    Agreed, it is - but it adds some nice tension to the chord.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Find me some live videos of "The Boss" and I'll show you some out of tune singing.
    Man, not just fine, but fine! Only drag was she didn't have Amos Garrett with her, who played the guitar solo on the original recording and delivered one of the sweetest solos this side of Larry Carlton and Steely Dan.

Maria doesn't always hit the notes, but she's taking so many risks I give her a total skate...that's one terrific performance, thanks for posting Azol!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Not that anyone probably wants to hear the song again in this lifetime anyway, but the Mellotron in Freebird is horrifyingly out of tune. They probably couldn't find the knob that tunes it...
    But isn't the Mellotron out of tune on like every record it appears on? I already made one wisecrack at the expense of Hartley Peavey's clientele, I'll refrain from taking guesses about why Billy Powell might not have been able to find the tuning control.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Man, not just fine, but fine! Only drag was she didn't have Amos Garrett with her, who played the guitar solo on the original recording and delivered one of the sweetest solos this side of Larry Carlton and Steely Dan.
    There's a great line in one of Spider Robinson's books, where Jake Stonebender likens his sense of embarrassment in one scene to the time he found himself bragging to a guy at a bar one night about how bad ass a guitarist he was, only to find out the guy was Amos Garrett. Then adds, "(Remember Maria Muldaur's Midnight At The Oasis? That Amos Garrett!").

I actually saw Maria perform in concert, maybe about 7 or 8 years ago. She's still got an amazing voice, and she's a really nice lady too. The show I saw, she didn't do Midnight At The Oasis, but she did a lot of cool blues tunes, and did this thing that I can only describe as a vocal cadenza, where the rest of the band dropped out and she did this melismatic thing, which ended with her abruptly stopping asking the audience "Are you still awake?". The guitarist in her band, also a woman, did a couple songs too, including a great rendition of When The Levee Breaks, which I imagine sounded a lot more like the way Memphis Minnie sang it (rather than the rendition done by...what was the name of that damn British band again?!).