Thread: Tesseract - Altered State

Tesseract - Altered State

What do you folks think about the new Tesseract? I'm interested to hear others' opinions. I have already made up my mind about this one

Listening to it for the 2nd time as I type this! Very cool stuff! I wish I had the disc with me to check the liner notes. Maybe a strange question, but are the vocals on this male or female, or a combination of both? Not used to hearing prog-metal with harmonizing vocals, quite a nice and refreshing change.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Listening to it for the 2nd time as I type this! Very cool stuff! I wish I had the disc with me to check the liner notes. Maybe a strange question, but are the vocals on this male or female, or a combination of both? Not used to hearing prog-metal with harmonizing vocals, quite a nice and refreshing change.
    Vocalist is male. Yeah, i am really liking this as well. This disc has a new vocalist. The prior vocalist was good but, if i remember correctly, there was some screaming as well. as a result, i bought the instrumental version of their first record.

New vocalist is great. at times, reminds a little of Ray Alder from Fates. at least some of the vocal melodies.

If you like Tesseract, you should check out Disperse. very similar. uses 8 string guitar as well. Yes, they look like they are 15 yrs old! But, good stuff in the vein of Tesseract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Vocalist is male. Yeah, i am really liking this as well. This disc has a new vocalist. The prior vocalist was good but, if i remember correctly, there was some screaming as well. as a result, i bought the instrumental version of their first record.
    New vocalist is great. at times, reminds a little of Ray Alder from Fates. at least some of the vocal melodies.
    If you like Tesseract, you should check out Disperse. very similar. uses 8 string guitar as well. Yes, they look like they are 15 yrs old! But, good stuff in the vein of Tesseract.
    I listened again on the way home from work, hard to believe a guy can sing like that. Nothing wrong with that, I love the vocals. But I didn't think of Ray Alder at all. I was thinking more along the lines of Leslie Hunt of District 97. Seriously, if this guy left, she could pull it off as his replacement.

I watched the Disperse clip, that's pretty good too! Perhaps a little more poppy than Tesseract. I'll have to check out more from them.
    Last edited by Yanks2014; 06-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

I was surprised how much I like Disperse, got it a few weeks ago. The Tesseract really makes me want to hit play right away after it ends. The 3rd to last track (I think) has an amazing sax solo, the vocal harmonies are way more thick than I remember all throughout... I listened to Altered State last night at about 2am on ear buds while unable to sleep, listened from front to back and it was really a supreme experience.

for some reason, i have played both Tesseract and Disperse alot. sometimes, putting them on repeat.

it is a different listening experience than, say, Steven Wilson. i love Steven's work, but after listening through Raven, i need a break! maybe because there is so much going on.

i think the groove and melody of Tesseract and Disperse make it so easy to just push play again. that being said, there is still alot going on underneath that music. the Disperse guitarist in particular is just a monster player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    it is a different listening experience than, say, Steven Wilson. i love Steven's work, but after listening through Raven, i need a break! maybe because there is so much going on.
    Or that Wilson's music can be a bit of a downer after a while. Love his work, and Raven is no exception, but Wilson's music is not exactly happy music.