Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allman Brothers 4CD 40th Anniversary Brothers and Sisters

Allman Brothers 4CD 40th Anniversary Brothers and Sisters

Hope they don't ruin the sound for this remaster of the Brothers and Sisters album. Disc one will be the original album, Disc Two is rehearsals and outtakes, Discs three and four will be the complete 73 Winterland show which several of the songs were used on the Wipe the Windows live album. Release date is June 25. I remember staying up late the night that they broadcasted the Cow Palace show about a month later on New Years Eve.

Rick Moser

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was thinking about posting this. One of my favourite bands on this planet. I bought the Japan SHM CD version (pre-ordered) for a steep price but it's worth it. I meant to say I pre-ordered it. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions once they hear it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    First I heard about this. Should be fantastic. Just yesterday I was waiting in line somewhere and "Rambling Man" was playing overhead. Just hearing that tune made me feel better about being there.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sounds pretty cool. I don't think this part of the band's career gets the respect it deserves. There's some good live stuff out there if one cares to look for it. Too bad the band won't let people upload stuff online.

First I'm hearing about this too. Almost an "autobuy" but I'll wait for reviews from folks here before jumping-in full throttle. Agree that this is a great period of their career. I too always find "Ramblin Man" a joyful, feel-good song.

I'm in for the 2 CD version, but I'm not sure about the 4 disc deluxe edition (discs 3 & 4 being a complete 73 show). Not only do I have some of those tracks already because they're on Wipe The Windows..., but I have the complete show that a friend burned for me some time ago. I'll have to listen to them again, but if memory serves me correct, I think they sounded excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I'm in for the 2 CD version, but I'm not sure about the 4 disc deluxe edition (discs 3 & 4 being a complete 73 show). Not only do I have some of those tracks already because they're on Wipe The Windows..., but I have the complete show that a friend burned for me some time ago. I'll have to listen to them again, but if memory serves me correct, I think they sounded excellent.
    Yes, they did. But, they pretty much always have. I believe Dickey was the only guitarist during that tour and they don't miss a step.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Brothers and Sisters a good album?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Brothers and Sisters a good album?
    Side one
    "Wasted Words" (Gregg Allman) - 4:20
    "Ramblin' Man" (Richard Betts) - 4:48
    "Come and Go Blues" (Gregg Allman) - 4:54
    "Jelly Jelly" (Trade Martin) - 5:46

Side two
    "Southbound" (Richard Betts) - 5:11
    "Jessica" (Richard Betts) - 7:31
    "Pony Boy" (Richard Betts) - 5:51

Four of the seven songs are true classics. That should be enough for any fan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Where are the epics?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Where are the epics?
    "Jessica' is about as epic as that one gets. Most of the epics are usually live versions.

Not sure if I will buy it, thinking about it. This album is great. I play in an Allman Bros. tribute band and we play
    Ramblin Man, Come and Go Blues into Jelly Jelly, Southbound and Jessica from this album. Different than when Duane
    was in the band, of course, but a top notch album of theirs. Get it, you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "Jessica' is about as epic as that one gets. Most of the epics are usually live versions.
    Yep Jessica is great. I still may like 'Les Brers in A Minor' and 'Elizabeth Reed' slightly more, but its a great album nonetheless. Love these guys, and glad to see the Winterland Show on here.

Yes, they did. But, they pretty much always have.
    Agreed. Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. What I was referring to was the excellent quality of the CDs I have of the Winterland show. Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth shelling out for the extra discs when I already have that show in excellent quality.

If the extra discs were a previously unknown soundboard, it would be a no-brainer.

Yes, they did. But, they pretty much always have. I believe Dickey was the only guitarist during that tour and they don't miss a step.
    Not just on that tour, but the entire immediate post-Duane era. After Duane went home, they initially carried on as a five piece, before adding Chuck Leavell as a second keyboardist. They kept the one guitar/two keyboards configuration intact until they broke up the first time (after Gregg's turned state's evidence and rolled over on the band's manager).

They wouldn't return to the dual guitar configuration until the band reformed in 1978.

As for Brothers And Sisters, it's a decent record. Like most ABB albums, the material is top notch and there's some good performances, but pales in comparison to what that material sounded like in concert. And my general opinion of both this album and Win Lose Or Draw was that they were trying a little too hard to be radio friendly. For me the best track on each of those two albums is the long instrumental (Jessica on B&S, High Falls WLOD).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not just on that tour, but the entire immediate post-Duane era. After Duane went home, they initially carried on as a five piece, before adding Chuck Leavell as a second keyboardist. They kept the one guitar/two keyboards configuration intact until they broke up the first time (after Gregg's turned state's evidence and rolled over on the band's manager).

They wouldn't return to the dual guitar configuration until the band reformed in 1978.

As for Brothers And Sisters, it's a decent record. Like most ABB albums, the material is top notch and there's some good performances, but pales in comparison to what that material sounded like in concert. And my general opinion of both this album and Win Lose Or Draw was that they were trying a little too hard to be radio friendly. For me the best track on each of those two albums is the long instrumental (Jessica on B&S, High Falls WLOD).
    Trying hard to be radio friendly? I don't think they ever did that really. Ramblin Man wasn't even going to be recorded. It was to be given away and Betts ended up keeping it. One of my least favorite songs, though we play it. The band was completely different with Leavell and without Duane, naturally. With Chuck on piano and the dual guitar sound gone temporarily, the material and sound naturally had to be different. Having said that, the albums with Duane are the absolute best things they've ever done on record IMO. Derek does a lot more for me than Warren, especially on slide. Oteil is the best bassist since Berry in the band. Plus, his musical training allows him to do things Berry never could. Berry was a unique force in the band, with everything swirling around him. He was the center of the band for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Trying hard to be radio friendly? I don't think they ever did that really. Ramblin Man wasn't even going to be recorded. It was to be given away and Betts ended up keeping it.
    Maybe they weren't "trying" to be radio friendly, they just were at times. I guess it's the sort of semi-country vibe that Dickey brought as he assumed more of the songwriting responsibilities during this period. I get that vibe with some of the later tunes like Seven Turns and Soulshine as well. Some of those songs could have been hits with "today's country" radio if the powers to be had gotten behind them.

Maybe they weren't "trying" to be radio friendly, they just were at times. I guess it's the sort of semi-country vibe that Dickey brought as he assumed more of the songwriting responsibilities during this period. I get that vibe with some of the later tunes like Seven Turns and Soulshine as well. Some of those songs could have been hits with "today's country" radio if the powers to be had gotten behind them.
    True. Have you heard Shades Of Two Worlds from 92? Excellent album. Check it out.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    True. Have you heard Shades Of Two Worlds from 92? Excellent album. Check it out.
    If I have a sense about Chris, he's heard it all! I have all of their CDs and have seen them in recent years 4 times. I really like Shades but I think their last album, Hittin the Note, is just out of the ballpark, spectacular. My favourite song is Old Before My Time.

BTW- I'd love to hear your band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Actually, "Soulshine" was written by Warren Haynes, I believe. Great song.

Oh yeah, fantastic album. Kind Of Bird and Nobody Knows in particular are favorites for me, and I also dug the way the ended it with Come On In My Kitchen. My very first Allmans show in 93, they played Nobody Knows, and let me tell you it was absolutely righteous. I remember the curtains behind the stage sliding open to reveal the projection screen right before that song (first few songs of the show, they didn't use a light show...I'm not sure if that was because it was an open air venue and they were waiting for the sun to go down a bit, or if that's just what they were doing on a nightly basis at that point).

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    If I have a sense about Chris, he's heard it all! .
    A slight exaggeration. For instance, in the case of the Allmans, I still to this day have never heard Brothers Of The Road, which I think was the album that Dickey Betts once referred to as "not worth a...ya know".

But I did get to see the Allmans every time they came to Cleveland from 93-98. I saw the band twice when Allen Woody was playing bass, but he never broke out the 18 string bass at the shows I saw (though he did use either a 8 or 12 string Flying V style bass on Whipping Post the first time I saw them).

The first time, in 93, they did a short acoustic set in the middle of the show, as well as several songs that at the time hadn't been released yet (they would eventually appear on Where It All Begins, which didn't come out until a year or two later). I saw the band four time with Jack Pearson (Warren's replacement), and I think I've seen them about 5 times with Derek Trucks in the band. I think except maybe the second to last show I saw, they were all dynamite.

I also saw Dickey Betts And Great Southern back in...must have been about 2002 or 2003. That was a good show. It was cool to see Dickey playing with Dangerous Dan Toler again. If I remember correctly, they did a full band arrangement of Little Martha that night.

Shit, I sound like Roy Batty.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-14-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Actually, "Soulshine" was written by Warren Haynes, I believe. Great song.
    Yeah, you're right, but my point was that it's "a good country song" (to quote Duck Dunn, I think, in The Blues Brothers) and could (should?) have been a hit on country radio. But I guess the Allmans don't fit with that audience well enough, according to "the suits" in LA and NYC who make those decisions.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    But I guess the Allmans don't fit with that audience well enough, according to "the suits" in LA and NYC who make those decisions.
    What, a bunch of long haired gentlemen with tattoos of psychedelic mushrooms weren't good enough for them?

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    What, a bunch of long haired gentlemen with tattoos of psychedelic mushrooms weren't good enough for them?
    Nope. Now, if they had gone to the barber, stopped in at Nudie's of Hollywood, and ditched "that damn rock n roll nonsense", then the country music industry would go for it.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.