Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor Swift - The Prog version

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Ha, no. I'm saying that you can't take a turd and shine it into a diamond. If you want to prog up a pop song, start with a good song, not a bad one. There at least should be some redeeming melody or riff that you can pull and expand on. Taylor Swift? I don't get it... My daughter listens to her, and I'm not a fan AT ALL.
    I understand your point, but I have to say I really enjoyed Eyal's remake of the song and I am definitely not a fan of Taylor Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I understand your point, but I have to say I really enjoyed Eyal's remake of the song and I am definitely not a fan of Taylor Swift.
    That's cool! Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Those are guys are certainly talented musicians though, that we can agree.

Quote Originally Posted by EyalAmir View Post
    Or something like that.

I've taken the new Taylor Swift hit '22', and tried taking the melodic ideas that song had into something completely different... I hope you like it!
    I liked it a lot! Great work and thanks for sharing! I'm not familiar with the original, but I'll have to check it out just to see how much better you made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson776 View Post
    Dude I swear I had this idea way back. Progged out pop songs. Ah well, there goes my youtube celebrity status.
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Yes and Vanilla Fudge already beat you to it.
    Well, it's not a brand new concept, but turning a pop tune into something very different than it was in it's original form never gets old when the results are as good as the OP's is.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    are you saying that taking a mediocre or "middle of the road" pop song and making it into something different is somehow not as good?

I've heard plenty of remakes that I liked much better than the original.
    Ha, no. I'm saying that you can't take a turd and shine it into a diamond. If you want to prog up a pop song, start with a good song, not a bad one.
    Errr, that's debatable. There's a trio from Sweden called Dirty Loops who have been taking (arguably) dull contemporary pop tunes and hipifying them in the coolest ways... and their YT videos have gone viral.

I know, some of you are going to say it's not prog, it's jazz-fusion/funk. And I know there's boatloads of folks here who hate the gospel/melisma style of singing (I always liked it, but I'll readily admit that it can be overused/abused, like any other musical style or technique). Whatever; Dirty Loops have turned these tunes into something way more sophisticated and musician-friendly than the original versions were. As a guy who's been making a living playing pop/rock cover tunes for about 35 years, I've been feeling the burden of how un-fun most modern pop music is to play, so I have a great appreciation for bands that de/reconstruct those kind of tunes into something that is really fun to listen to... and would be a blast to play!

I don't believe I've heard a song that you (or one of your many incarnations) have done that I DIDN'T thoroughly enjoy. The collective musicianship is always stellar and the arrangements wildly creative. With that said, when are you (or one of your many incarnations) going to put out a CD for all to enjoy?? I've been waiting patiently (and I suspect I'm not alone) . . . . . Jeff

Gotta hand it to Dirty Loops too - - - - killer musicianship! . . . . Jeff

After hearing the Dirty Loops cover Justin Bieber, I have to stand by my earlier statement even stronger. If you all love it, GREAT!! But, in the words of Shark Tank... "I'm Out."

Enjoy....

After hearing the Dirty Loops cover Justin Bieber, I have to stand by my earlier statement even stronger. If you all love it, GREAT!! But, in the words of Shark Tank... "I'm Out."

Enjoy....
    Well hell, nothing's for everybody. But I love it... and I AM enjoying!

Jeff, yep, those guys can PLAY! What is it about Sweden?!

BTW, they're just about finished with their debut... and it'll all be original material.

Man, I'd forgotten how amazing those Dirty Loops folks are. What a tight, tight band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is brilliant! Well done!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I've been a huge fan of Eyal's work ever since finding his "Slim Shady" cover here on PE and I remain totally fascinated and inspired by the way in which he transforms pop tunes into catchy prog gems that are just as accessible as they are sophisticated. I wasn't familiar with the original tune in this case, but made a point of watching the official Taylor Swift video first so I had a frame of reference--and I was totally blown away with the results. Eyal, my friend, you really are an amazingly talented individual!

Cheers,

Alan
    I found a prog version of Slim Shady on YouTube. Was that his version?

Eyal, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with Dirty Loops. Those guys are great, but you guys are too! The arrangement was so clever, especially after listening to Taylor Swift's original four chord version. And that guitar solo slayed! If you all put something out, I'll be happy to buy it!

I'm actually cool the the thread going to different places, and I also love Dirty Loops, so it's totally fine by me.

Glad you guys enjoyed the track!
    BTW, my friend Ariel (one of the drummers on the track) wrote a very lengthy and informative post on recording and arranging the drums for this song. If you're interested, it's here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusi...m_gear_tuning/
    Last edited by EyalAmir; 06-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Wow! My daughters, Emma & Lily, are fans of Taylor Swift but they really, really, really, totally enjoyed your prog version.

And so did I.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Casey, that's so cool! How old are they?

Emma is almost 11 & Lily just turned 9.

Me, I'm almost 59. Go figure!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like