Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson- The Road To Red

^ Yes, there is : at least the "Midnight Special" from 1973, and some b&w live footage from ca 1974 (some of it appears on the "Careful with that axe" documentary, you can find it on Youtube).

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think I actually have enough of that era with Great Deceiver, Asbury Park 74, Zoom Club 72, Bremen 72, Brescia 74. It'll take a lot for me to add to that.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, Rookie.
    Yeah, to be hinest the Wetton-Broof era, I've gor enough live stuff, soooo I'll pass...

I'd rather have a bit more of the previous incarnation (though I have the Ladies Of The Road)

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Now that they let the Muir out of the bag and shot their DGM Vault wad with the mega box LTiA Box (which is fantastic, by the way), this will be a sort of litmus test for many of us. After feasting on so many courses, will we go back for yet another bite?

Which begs the question: why wasn't this planned/released for when the Red 5.1 came out?
    Either: (1) Stormy unearthed a new cache of long forgotten tapes since then from the DGM World HQ catacombs; AND/or (2) they obtained the rights to some very cool concert footage that no one's ever seen?

Waiting is.
    Now THAT's different, though I'd like to also have some Burrell footage, before some more Broof stuff.

I'd be interested in a real concert filmed, because all we got is TV broadcast stuff
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    ^ Yes, there is : at least the "Midnight Special" from 1973, and some b&w live footage from ca 1974 (some of it appears on the "Careful with that axe" documentary, you can find it on Youtube).

Do we know how long this footage is??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

When Red 5.1 first came out, there was no remix as there is with the other 40th Anniversary reissues. At the time they said the original mix was perfect or something similar so they left it alone. Apparently they recently decided technology today will enable an improvement so a new mix was made. I am guessing Red 5.1 will see a rerelease in a monster box similar to LTIA with this new Steve Wilson mix as one of the centerpeices with some coasters, promo photos, Willy Fred fur or strands of Toyas hair. Probably priced at around $120.

I have a different re-mastered LP version of Red from 1989, remixed by Fripp & Tony Arnold.

Wouldnt say that its better than the original. A little more pleasing to the ears, but also a little less dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    When Red 5.1 first came out, there was no remix as there is with the other 40th Anniversary reissues. At the time they said the original mix was perfect or something similar so they left it alone. Apparently they recently decided technology today will enable an improvement so a new mix was made. I am guessing Red 5.1 will see a rerelease in a monster box similar to LTIA with this new Steve Wilson mix as one of the centerpeices with some coasters, promo photos, Willy Fred fur or strands of Toyas hair. Probably priced at around $120.
    The Red disc does have a 5.1 mix. It's the stereo mix that they didn't change at all.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    Yeah! I'm going to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have a different re-mastered LP version of Red from 1989, remixed by Fripp & Tony Arnold.

Wouldnt say that its better than the original. A little more pleasing to the ears, but also a little less dynamic.
    That is NOT remixed, just remastered.

Based on David Singleton's latest blog post, the earlier 1974 live show transfers were mixed down to analog stereo, then digitally mastered in SADIE.

This time around they are digitizing directly from the original analog road master tapes in hi-rez (24bit 96kHz presumably), the result of which is apparently sounding pretty bitchin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, to be hinest the Wetton-Broof era, I've gor enough live stuff, soooo I'll pass...

I'd rather have a bit more of the previous incarnation (though I have the Ladies Of The Road)
    Every available show by that lineup has been released on dgmlive in some attractively priced bundles. Although sound quality can be pretty dire at times, but points for completeness.

I am looking forward to road to red but I am more interested in the next wave of 40th anniversary editions. I know beat will be there but will 3oapp come then too or thrak?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Every available show by that lineup has been released on dgmlive in some attractively priced bundles. Although sound quality can be pretty dire at times, but points for completeness.
    There are quite a few really good sounding performances from that band on CD, too. If Trane wants, a list can be provided.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm certainly intrigued by this announcement.

and then into the studio to keep up with the mastering of the US shows from June 1974 for the forthcoming "Road to Red" box set. I am not sure that it is a skill that I wished to learn, but I suspect there are few better companies at restoring live show recordings.

These are all "board" recordings, which are often unlistenable and unappealing at first sight, but they end up surprisingly convincing. The secret lies in the violent use of multi band compressors (which virtually remix the audio), some reverb to supply the missing ambience, and editing to supply the missing crowds and links. Et voila.

Most of these shows were completed before I left, so it’s just a final master and listen. Three shows done today, and another three to finish tomorrow.
    Judging what I can tell from the entry, it doesn't sound like these are shows that have already been released. Since 8 of their last 11 shows have been officially released, I wonder if we're going to see a bunch of other shows prior to that, and will it be a tour bundle or a boxed set release with a smattering of (hopefully complete) shows? The US tour lasted almost two full months so there are plenty of shows still out there.

Either way, I'm going to shamelessly buy it

I will also buy it. Let's face it, we are a rabid bunch and for many of us this was the golden age of KC. The Road to Red set promises untold pleasure for the price of a nice meal out with our spouses. I can't wait.

On a related note, I just received notice from Inner Knot that they have mailed my copy of Andrew Keeling's new book A Concise Musical Guide to King Crimson and Robert Fripp (1969-1984). Should be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    The Road to Red set promises untold pleasure for the price of a nice meal out with our spouses.
    You need to find some cheaper restaurants. I could get about 4 very good meals with my partner out for the price of the Larks box set.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    You need to find some cheaper restaurants. I could get about 4 very good meals with my partner out for the price of the Larks box set.

Henry
    At least in Finland that is quite impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    I will also buy it. Let's face it, we are a rabid bunch and for many of us this was the golden age of KC. The Road to Red set promises untold pleasure for the price of a nice meal out with our spouses. I can't wait.

On a related note, I just received notice from Inner Knot that they have mailed my copy of Andrew Keeling's new book A Concise Musical Guide to King Crimson and Robert Fripp (1969-1984). Should be good as well.
    I got the book yesterday and read it in one sitting.....it was a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    At least in Finland that is quite impossible.
    I'm passing through Finland next month, so that's disheartening news. Well, if you ever make it to London, Eat Tokyo in Golders Green: fantastic food, very reasonably priced.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm passing through Finland next month, so that's disheartening news. Well, if you ever make it to London, Eat Tokyo in Golders Green: fantastic food, very reasonably priced.

Henry
    Of course we would have to define what "good meal" means . Drinks are especially expensive in Finland.

Henry
    I learned the following about your country.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samjparker/t...move-to-london

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Drinks are especially expensive in Finland.
    What about CHEESE?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I learned the following about your country.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samjparker/t...move-to-london
    As someone from the North of England that's pretty damn accurate, I particularly miss the stars at night, proper fish & chips & the Yorkshire Moors. I'll get to experience all that in 6 weeks when I'll be back there. (and yes I have fallen asleep on the side of the road)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No new footage, I'm out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No new footage, I'm out.

So am I!