Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Prefab Sprout!

New Prefab Sprout!

Details are still quite murky, but from posts I've read on the Sproutnet Facebook page and unofficial Prefab Sprout page, it appears that pop genius Paddy McAloon has completed a new record that is ready for release. The record was apparently leaked on the internet this past Saturday, but management was able to take it down within a few hours. I've read a few reviews from fans who were able to capitalize on the leak and download the record, and everything indicates that it's stellar material. I am still trying to find out when it will be officially released, whether it will be a PS record or PM record, etc.

Stay tuned for updates on this fantastic development ... (and, of course, please post if you have or can find additional information).
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 06-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Awesome news. I love every PS album (well I only LIKE the Gunman album)

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Awesome news. I love every PS album (well I only LIKE the Gunman album)
    You only "LIKE" Gunman???!!! Shame on you! That's one of my favorites. The title cut (to think that he wrote this for Cher) and Cornfield Ablaze ("You took a match to my dry August days ..." - what a killer line!) are Paddy at his most sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    You only "LIKE" Gunman???!!! Shame on you! That's one of my favorites. The title cut (to think that he wrote this for Cher) and Cornfield Ablaze ("You took a match to my dry August days ..." - what a killer line!) are Paddy at his most sublime.
    I need to give this another shot. I know I love the title track, and Blue Roses, both wonderful tracks. I loved 'Andromeda Heights' so much that I think I expected something different. I'll give it another chance. (i also love PM's solo album)

I hope it is better than the last one, "Let's change the world with music". I thought only 1-2 songs were great. The production was terrible though.

I am a huge Prefab fan btw.

I agree. Apart from “Farmyard Cat” (ew! Why, Paddy? WHY?) it was an excellent album, and I far preferred it to either of the albums that bookended it (Andromeda Heights and Let’s Change the World With Music), both of which I consider disappointments.

I am shocked by this development. I thought we had heard the last of PS, so I am delighted that new music from Paddy & Co. is on the way!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Eventualidades”-Wejah/Renasçenca

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I hope it is better than the last one, "Let's change the world with music". I thought only 1-2 songs were great. The production was terrible though.

I am a huge Prefab fan btw.
    I grew to love 'Lets Change The World With Music'. 'Music is a Princess' and 'Earth: The Story So Far' (man that synth intro just slays me) are sooo wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I grew to love 'Lets Change The World With Music'. 'Music is a Princess' and 'Earth: The Story So Far' (man that synth intro just slays me) are sooo wonderful.
    And let's not forget God Watch Over You, which is stunning. I think LCTWWM is great. The PS releases that I merely like and don't adore are Andromeda and Langley Park.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get more info. I am afraid that it might be the case that this new material exists and was briefly leaked, but PM has not yet decided whether to give it a proper release. I'm not saying that's the case - it's only a suspicion (based on a post indicating that PM has a new hobby and doesn't have time to dedicate to PS/releasing music). i hope that's not the case!!!

And let's not forget God Watch Over You, which is stunning. I think LCTWWM is great. The PS releases that I merely like and don't adore are Andromeda and Langley Park.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get more info. I am afraid that it might be the case that this new material exists and was briefly leaked, but PM has not yet decided whether to give it a proper release. I'm not saying that's the case - it's only a suspicion (based on a post indicating that PM has a new hobby and doesn't have time to dedicate to PS/releasing music). i hope that's not the case!!!
    Oh man, I hope not. But it wouldn't be the first time for Paddy, would it? I'm glad I haven't told my wife about it, she is a HUGE Sprout fan, and I think I'll hold off so she's not disappointed. (unless we have a few, then I won't be able to stop myself)

As to Andromeda and Langley Park, I find there are gems on every album. Andromeda has 'Avenue of Stars' which is pretty special. Langley Park has 'Hey Manhattan' and 'Nightingales'. And I agree about 'God Watch Over You'. His voice is at its finest in that one. Of course, I suppose that 'Two Wheels' and 'Jordan' are my faves, with 'Lets Change the world' very close.

Big PS fan here--although I know Mark always laughs at me and thinks its a bit "wet" . Paddy is known in the business as a real "odd ball" so good to hear hes still making music.

Here's a link to one of the new tunes:

http://www.rockdelux.com/noticias/p/prefab-sprout.html

sounds pretty good. well written as always.

We Will Rock You: The Mysterious Prefab Sprout Album You Might Never Hear
    by Jon Hunt

On June 8th, a user named “ExitSomeone” (number of posts — 1) appeared on SproutNet, the online home of Prefab Sprout fandom, with a link to a Soundcloud page (originating from an equally-mysterious someone named “ICIMUSIC”) containing songs that purported to be a new Prefab Sprout record. “Do my ears deceive me?” he asked, knowingly, “Or is this really what I think it is?” He then buggered off and posted nothing more. Predictably, the fan firestorm began immediately. Was this real? A clever pastiche? Where did this mysterious user come from, where did these songs come from, and could this really be the work of reclusive genius Paddy McAloon?

A little background: if you’re not familiar with the Sprout, do take a moment (well, a month, at least, if you’re being fair) to acquaint yourself with them. They’re perhaps most known for the cult 80s record Steve McQueen (called in the States, for legal reasons, Two Wheels Good), a glorious combination of Bacharachian pop songwriting and pure British soul, but their career contains many highlights (the underrated gem From Langley Park to Memphis, the comprehensive Jordan: The Comeback, the recently-released-but-recorded-in-the-early-90s Let’s Change The World With Music among them). Honorifics such as “our best living songwriter” are frequently applied to McAloon, and quite fairly so, but he is perhaps equally known for his eccentricities — like Prince, he has, supposedly, dozens of finished but unreleased albums lying around his house, and he’s become somewhat reclusive of late — health problems (encroaching sight and hearing problems primarily) have kept him at home, and reports that he was “finished with music entirely” continue to crop up. His last new album — fully new, rather than a release of something from the 90s — was 2003′s solo turn I Trawl The Megahertz, a strange (but fascinating) album that bore little resemblance to the Sprout of old.

Fans had all but given up hearing another peep from McAloon when this album cropped up, so naturally, many were skeptical. Cries of “pastiche” were heard amongst the praise being lavished upon the album — was this just a clever imitator who’d drawn from his obviously deep knowledge of McAloon’s songwriting and lyrical quirks? And who possessed a clearly McAloon-ish voice besides? If so, came the reply, it’s the best pastiche artist ever, and he’s written a batch of songs that are melodically and lyrically the equal of anything McAloon himself had ever penned. More likely, says Occam’s Razor, it’s simply an unreleased Sprout album, leaked by whomever (McAloon himself? A “friend?” A record label exec?) to an underused corner of the internet, and when nobody stumbled upon it, pointed at quite loudly in the most likely place for it to generate hype and excitement. Confirmation of its legitimacy came when SproutNet was politely asked to remove all links to the work by someone (possibly former Sprout member Wendy Smith, who is still close to McAloon) close to the band. All Soundcloud files subsequently vanished, and all but one song (“Billy“) were removed from YouTube as well.

The big question: How is The Devil Came A-Calling, as it’s become known? Well, it’s simply marvelous. It’s McAloon’s best work since Jordan: The Comeback for sure (though I’d argue Let’s Change The World With Music is virtually its equal, though its provenance places it in a strange place ranking-wise), and it’s full of the kind of witty, magnificently melodic songwriting that’s come to characterize McAloon’s best work. The aforementioned “Billy,” for example, is in the upper echelon of McAloon’s songs — it’s a gorgeous pop song of the sort that nobody really writes anymore (really, nobody), with a stratospheric melody soaring atop a groovy acoustic strum and McAloon’s careful, super-cool harmonica playing. It’s the kind of song that, once it’s over, demands to be replayed again immediately, the kind of song that puts a little catch in your throat with tremendous lines like “her smile is like a fairground, I’m basking in the glow.” “The Best Jewel Thief In The World” is right up there with it, too, a cool and soulful number that could, but for a few synthetic touches (particularly the drum machine), have lived on Steve McQueen. Meanwhile, the title track is a wry observation of the price of fame/fortune on the songwriter himself, viewing his health problems, etc. as the pound of flesh collected by the Devil for his success, and the utterly heartbreaking “The Songs Of Danny Galway” seems to be about Jim Webb (or a Webb-ish figure) and his ability to create magnificence with the “gifts at his command.” “Summoned to the well, I fell beneath their spell,” he says, and we know exactly what he means, as this collection of songs has exactly the same effect.

The album proves, if nothing else, that McAloon, for all his vaunted personal problems and reclusiveness and eccentricities, has lost not one iota of his significant songwriting gifts. He’s still as sharp lyrically as he’s ever been, and his ability to craft a melody that can break your heart at fifty paces remains undiminished. His way with an arrangement, too, is still quite present, though (like Brian Wilson before him) he’s more apt to create much of the arrangement with keyboard fakery than with an army of session musicians. Hence the album’s one tiny flaw — its jarring synthetic nature. And it’s a tiny, virtually insignificant flaw, too, as you’re too busy swooning like a Victorian with the vapors at the magnificence of the melodies and lyrical twists and turns. Would the songs benefit from a quick turn by a Thomas Dolby (the producer of Steve McQueen) or the like who might polish them to studio perfection? Oh, sure, but who cares, ultimately? The songs themselves are as damn-near perfect as its possible to get, and their demo-like quality adds a nifty homespun quality to them that a more polished presentation might well lack.

Frankly, The Devil Came A-Calling would be a contender for Album of the Year were it released officially. Like the other great albums this year (Daft Punk, Iron And Wine, Suede, Bowie, My Bloody Valentine — hell, 2013 has really been a great year, no?) it relies on songwriting and clever arrangements rather than hype and trickery, and what places it above the fray is its dedication to pure emotion, intellect and pure, undiluted melody, as well as the honest spirituality of Paddy McAloon himself. The question, then, is: will you ever get to hear it? l’etoile, of course, does not advocate the stealing of music from the InterWebs — there’s nothing I can do to stop you from finding this sucker on whatever music-theft website you use, but remember, you’re stealing not from Paul McCartney or some other music-related zillionaire, but from Paddy McAloon, a not-terribly-rich cult music guy living in the UK with some semi-serious health problems, and if you do track it down, please, please, please remember to purchase one (or two — buy one as a gift) when (well, if) it ever comes out legitimately.

That said, who knows if it ever will come out. McAloon has become well known for promising new Sprout stuff and then sitting on it, deliberating endlessly on this detail or that, or talking himself out of the public’s want/need for his songwriting. Such is the curse of the recluse — sure, you don’t have detractors buzzing around you to worry about, but you also don’t really have people telling you how awesome you are, either. And since McAloon isn’t on the internet, he’ll probably never know about the firestorm of fan excitement this leak has been generating. It was momentarily assumed that this leak signaled this album’s forthcoming release, but the silence from the McAloon/Sprout camp thus far signifies that this was, probably, a deeper leak than that — someone close to Paddy himself probably let this thing slip out, maybe as frustrated as his fans are by his silence and reticence.

In other words: you’ll have to take my word for it, at least for now, that The Devil Came A-Calling is an utterly magnificent record. Nevertheless, the entire affair, from leak to listen, is a fascinating story, and something that could (at least at this speed) only have happened in the internet age. Cross your fingers, though, music fans and enthusiasts of melody and intelligence in pop, that this thing does see the light of day — it’s likely the best record you’ll hear this year.

Paddy McAloonPrefab SproutThe Devil Came-A Calling

We Will Rock You: The Mysterious Prefab Sprout Album You Might Never Hear
    by Jon Hunt
    Bacharachian pop songwriting
    Bacharachian! Gosh! I wish I could write words about music and that.

The songs are mostly very good, I agree, but save us please from windy internet reviewers in love with their own hacky writing.

Wow, this song is great. As good as anything in "Steve McQueen".

Looks like these songs are indeed the new album - release date 7 October, official announcement from Paddy himself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Looks like these songs are indeed the new album - release date 7 October, official announcement from Paddy himself soon.
    Yahooooooo! Where did you get the news?

Yahooooooo! Where did you get the news?
    http://www.prefabsprout.net/
    13/07/2013
    It's official: a new Prefab Sprout album will be released this year, on October 7th. I am hoping to collect more information on the album (and the story around it) as the week goes on - it'll all be here as soon as I learn it.
    Some chat and speculation on that site's message board too.

Thank you!

So where is a good place to start with Prefab Sprout? Best album for a beginner?

Library Jon

Jon, honestly I'd recommend the following compilation...

http://www.discogs.com/Prefab-Sprout.../master/342192

It has a boatload of songs from their career through the Andromeda Heights days (an album which I like a lot). It would be a great introduction.

If you were looking for an album proper, I think most fans would steer you to either Steve McQueen or Jordan: The Comeback. No matter what, you can't go wrong. You're in for a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    Jon, honestly I'd recommend the following compilation...

http://www.discogs.com/Prefab-Sprout.../master/342192

It has a boatload of songs from their career through the Andromeda Heights days (an album which I like a lot). It would be a great introduction.

If you were looking for an album proper, I think most fans would steer you to either Steve McQueen or Jordan: The Comeback. No matter what, you can't go wrong. You're in for a treat!
    'Steve McQueen' is a truly great pop album, but note that its US title is 'Two Wheels Good'.

I'd say 'Jordan: The Comeback' may be a slightly better place to start though. It's not prog but it's a long album with song cycles and a variety of musical styles. It's the album that made me fall for them anyway, and for Paddy McAloon as a songwriter, at a time when I knew of them mostly for the single 'The King of Rock 'n' Roll' ("Hot dog! Jumping frog! Albuquerque!"), which isn't really a typical Sprout song at all. (Although if you like extra-candy-coated melodic pop, the album that comes from, 'From Langley Park to Memphis', should appeal to you too.)