Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater.

WeatherWiseCDC

Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater.

Music is one of my passions. Sports is the other. I always find it fascinating when the two intersect and bands demonstrate their appreciation for certain sports franchises, whether it be in a song's lyrics or when musicians wear paraphernalia featuring the team's logo/branding. Such songs as The Tragically Hip's "Fifty Mission Cap," The Pursuit of Happiness' "Wayne Gretzky Rocks," and even Streetheart's "One More Save" are tributes to the band members' favorite players/teams. Bands like Styx, meanwhile, have worn their team's jerseys -- being from Chicago, they proudly wear the Blackhawks' uniforms at times (and I'm sure they'll be supporting their team throughout the next two weeks). Are there any such tributes or displays of affection for sports teams you know of or would like to share?

The title for this thread is "Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater" mainly because I've found one odd scenario when a musician has not worn a sports team's official paraphernalia but rather a seemingly unlicensed reproduction of it. As a Vancouver Canucks fan, I have always found it incredibly cool that Tony Banks decided to wear a Canucks sweater for the filming of the "Follow You Follow Me" music video. That particular song is a favorite of mine and conjures some very warm memories. The Canucks were not a very successful team back then (they only qualified for the postseason twice in their first eight seasons [1970-78]), and for anyone outside of Vancouver to be wearing one of their jerseys would have been rare. Many hockey fans in Vancouver at the time were actually fans of either the Leafs or the Habs; whenever those two teams would visit, the majority of the building would be cheering for the away team! Thus, it's very cool that Tony Banks decided to show his appreciation for the team and/or for the city of Vancouver. Phil and the band did, after all, have a pretty strong relationship with the city. Perhaps one of them may have attended a game at some point.

Oddly enough, though, Tony's Canucks sweater doesn't match anything ever worn by the team. The sweater featured in the "Follow You Follow Me" music video most closely resembles the sweater worn by the Canucks between 1970 to 1972; their white uniforms were slightly altered after the 1971-72 season. The video would have been filmed in 1977, which raises alarms about which exact jersey Tony is wearing. The sleeves on Tony's sweater feature two stripes -- green and blue -- but are missing the patented "V." I found that quite strange upon observing it.

(By the way, I believe this is the Nick Davis mix)

Pictured here are the 40th anniversary throwbacks worn by the team in the 2010-11 season, matching every detail of the team's original uniforms; this is the one Tony is supposedly wearing.

After 1972, the sweaters looked like this (notice the striping):

The sweater Tony Banks wears in the video was never worn by the Canucks, which leads me to think he was wearing a knockoff sweater. The collar is completely blue and the striping is different. Any time I watch this video, I always have that in the back of my mind, and I even chuckle a bit knowing it's a fake jersey. I also wonder where in the world he obtained it (possibly from Phil?). I'm sure there's a story to be told about that.

Still, it's pretty awesome that the team's brand made an appearance in a Genesis video and that they cared to wear it! That already makes this Canucks fan proud. What other instances of public appreciation for sports teams are you guys aware of (in song or appearance)?
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Outstanding!

I remember Genesis returning to the stage for their encore the first time I saw them in 1977 in Rangers jerseys at MS Garden, but I was far too back to tell if they were knock offs or not : )

I suspect the roadies were dispatched in each city to find them, and I've seen pictures of Genesis members in Northstars, Penguins, Canadians, Flyers, and Kings jerseys from memory

Gentle Giant's John Weathers wore a spiffy Oakland A's every night on their mid-70's tours, and "have drums will travel" aka Bill Bruford of course had his "B", Boston Bruins jersey

As a tribute to my beloved Affirmatives, I had a custom St Louis Cardinals jersey made with YESSONGS #73

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 06-11-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

From my memory, lots of rockers wore sport jerseys back in the day. I could swear I recall seeing photos of guys like Alex Lifeson & Rik Emmett (Red Wings jersey) in hockey jerseys, & Phil Collins in some sort of numbered shirt, as well as some of the guys in The Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I've seen pictures of Genesis members in Northstars, Penguins, Canadians, Flyers, and Kings jerseys from memory
    And Leafs! I've seen Phil wear a Leafs jersey several times in photo, one particular one I recall is of him and Mike in the back of car on their way to a Lamb gig and he's got it on.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Dont remember where but I think I remember Phil wearing a BRUINS sweat.... years ago... in the classic line up days.

Jim

It's probably like Bruford and his overalls with the Bruins B on it. I asked him if he was a fan and he said he was not at all, he just liked it because it had a B on it.

During one Dream Theater tour, Mike Portnoy had a clause in their contract where he was to be provided with the local team's football jersey during their European (and South American, maybe?) tour. He'd then wear it either during the concert or encore.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Outstanding!

I remember Genesis returning to the stage for their encore the first time I saw them in 1977 in Rangers jerseys at MS Garden, but I was far too back to tell if they were knock offs or not : )

I suspect the roadies were dispatched in each city to find them, and I've seen pictures of Genesis members in Northstars, Penguins, Canadians, Flyers, and Kings jerseys from memory

Gentle Giant's John Weathers wore a spiffy Oakland A's every night on their mid-70's tours, and "have drums will travel" aka Bill Bruford of course had his "B", Boston Bruins jersey

As a tribute to my beloved Affirmatives, I had a custom St Louis Cardinals jersey made with YESSONGS #73

BG
    Here's Phil in a North Stars sweater.

Here he's wearing a t-shirt featuring the Canadiens' design, though with no logo and a white lace-up collar. Very odd. In fact, the entire photo is very strange. While everyone is looking in one direction, Phil is looking in the opposition direction; everyone else is well-dressed while he's wearing a faux Habs shirt.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Genesis '77 tour - Sabers uniform for encore in Buffalo

Ever since the Tokyo Giants debacle (when Marillion drummer Mick somebody (what was his last name, Shrimpton?) spontaneously combusted while the lead guitarist dared to touch it with some sustain even, all the while donning a Tokyo Giants jersey), I can never think of rock stars in sports jerseys (whether that be Rod Stewart prancing about in a Man Ure kit, or Greg Lake freezing on stage, thereby requiring a Montreal hockey sweater or something) in the same light.

Being from the Seattle area, I was always a Canucks fan too, supporting our Pacific Northwest team, but never noticed that about the sweater. Of course there's all kinds of variants for Mariner and Seahawk sweatshirts that differ from the originals too, which one can get just about anywhere.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Being from the Seattle area, I was always a Canucks fan too, supporting our Pacific Northwest team, but never noticed that about the sweater. Of course there's all kinds of variants for Mariner and Seahawk sweatshirts that differ from the originals too, which one can get just about anywhere.
    Considering "Follow You Follow Me" was the band's first major single and one of their most popular songs worldwide, millions of people have watched that music video and I'm sure most have glanced at Tony Banks' Canucks sweater. I think many would have just noticed the sweater and assumed it was official; at first, I thought so too until I noticed the odd striping. It looks like we've uncovered a new twist, and I think it would be neat to figure out who gave him that sweater and how it was initially acquired -- after all, there was no eBay or internet back then, and if it wasn't purchased from an official retailer it must have been gotten from somewhere else. Unlike specific concert events, music videos are designed to directly accompany their respective songs and their images become directly associated with the music. Mr. Banks' sweater has always been a part of the "Follow You Follow Me" canon and that footage has been distributed worldwide, but it being a fake sweater is now quite an interesting thing to think about. I think this opens up a lot of discussion about its mythology since he has now worn it in front of millions of viewers. It's a funny thing to consider, but in ways it's also quite incredible!

I wonder if even Tony Banks himself is aware that the sweater he wore that day was a counterfeit. It'd be really interesting to find out what he'd think about that. I don't think I've ever seen another such scenario involving a fake sweater being worn in a promotional video. It's fascinating!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    No one sported more hockey jerseys than Mike Levine of Triumph. I believe is used to wear the jersey of whatever city the bands was playing in. Now that's awesome. He even kept it going when Triumph reunited and played at the Sweden Rock Fest a few years back...

triumph.jpg
    Chad

Surly RUSH have worn hockey or baseball jerseys being big fans of both leagues. By the way that looks like Orland Kurtenback in the Vancouver uniform.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Surly RUSH have worn hockey or baseball jerseys being big fans of both leagues. By the way that looks like Orland Kurtenback in the Vancouver uniform.
    Actually, I think Rush's sporting of hockey jerseys on stage is extremely rare.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    What other instances of public appreciation for sports teams are you guys aware of (in song or appearance)?
    Here's Steve Hogarth of Marillion in a Habs jersey during the final night of the Montreal Marillion Weekend:

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Yes, sir. That's Orland Kurtenbach, the Canucks' first ever team captain, in both the top photo and the first black-and-white photo, forty years apart. In fact, Orland presented Henrik Sedin with the team captaincy at the 40th season's home opener:

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I'm pretty sure I saw Collins in a Flyers jersey circa Duke, but my attempts at finding it online have failed, so this will have to suffice.

Wakeman must've stolen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Actually, I think Rush's sporting of hockey jerseys on stage is extremely rare.
    On the Hemispheres tour, they came out for their encore at Nassau Coliseum sporting Islanders jerseys as the team was in the playoffs at the time.

Weatherwise, this is the kind of topic I obsess over - I assume you're familar with the blog called UniWatch, for obsessives like us?
    http://www.uni-watch.com/

And also this blog, which is compiling a list of musicians who've worn hockey jerseys?
    http://hockey-blog-in-canada.blogspo...n-jerseys.html

Terry Kath of Chicago wore many hockey jerseys over the years; I've seen videos of him sporting Blackhawks, Northstars, Blues and my favorite is his WHA Chicago Cougars one!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

I'm pretty sure I saw Collins in a Flyers jersey circa Duke, but my attempts at finding it online have failed, so this will have to suffice.

Wakeman must've stolen it.
    Looks like a Bobby Clarke jersey - well done, Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Weatherwise, this is the kind of topic I obsess over - I assume you're familar with the blog called UniWatch, for obsessives like us?
    http://www.uni-watch.com/
    LOVE that blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    And also this blog, which is compiling a list of musicians who've worn hockey jerseys?
    http://hockey-blog-in-canada.blogspo...n-jerseys.html
    Great - there goes my productivity for the day.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Couldn't Tony Banks be wearing a sweater that was sold to fans as merchandise?

I tossed an SU Orangemen t-shirt to Steve Hogarth of Marillion during the Seasons End or HIE show in Syracuse - I kind of hit him in the face though. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Great - there goes my productivity for the day.
    Well, he doesn't have the list that he promised, so you're done.

At the Calderone Theatre in Bay Shore, Long Island, Gentle Giant's Derek Schulman donned an Islanders jersey given to him from a fan just in time for their encore of "Number One" a few hours after the Islanders beat the Flyers earning them their first Stanley Cup back in 1980.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    the Islanders beat the Flyers earning them their first Stanley Cup back in 1980.
    They didn't "earn" anything - that was given to them by Leon Stickle.