Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Camel - On The Road 1972

FEATURED ALBUM: Camel - On The Road 1972

Review from ProgArchives (Erik Neuteboom):
    This CD has been released 20 years after it was recorded, in 1972. The sound quality is not perfect but OK for the average proghead.
    The opener is perhaps their finest work entitled "Lady fantasy". The first part alternates between a slow rhythm and mid-tempo featuring wonderful sensitive electric guitarplay and warm vocals from Andy Latimer, tasteful organ waves from the late Peter Bardens and a pleasant and strong rhythm- section from Andy Ward and Doug Ferguson. Gradually the climate becomes more lush and we can enjoy a great, very compelling solo from Bardens on the Hammond B3 organ. After a powerful accellaration a propulsive rhythm-section supports a spendid, harder-edged guitar solo. Then the atmosphere slows down featuring bluesy electric guitar, very moving. Now there's only tender Fender Rhodes electric piano, a repetetive bass and howling electric guitar, what a tension! Soft vocals and organ enters, the tension builds.. "ooh, my lady Fantasy...I love you .... AND THERE IS THE LONG AWAITED BOMBASTIC ERUPTION, THIS IS A PERFECT MUSICAL ORGASM! It features huge organ floods, a propulsive rhythm-section and a long and exciting organ solo. The final part contains a mellow mid- tempo and slowly fading sensitive electric guitar work, what an afterglow!

The second track "Six ate" delivers a swinging mid-tempo rhythm with lots of good soli and interplay from the electric guitar and organ. It's a typical live song were the crowd can enjoy their heroes on their instruments.

Next is "White rider" featuring militairy drums and then sensitive electric guitarplay, pleasant vocals and lush organ waves. Then an accellaration and powerful organ, a dynamic rhythm-section and a sensational, pitchbend driven Minimoog solo. After the rhythm slows down and a break with a short bass solo, the final part contains a slightly psychedelic guitar solo and some sizzling Moog sounds.

The last track "God of light" is a typical end Sixties/early Seventies composition (in the vein of Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth and Deep Purple): a long track with a swinging rhythm featuring extended soli on organ and guitar (wah-wah drenched in the end). Halfway the climate becomes more psychedelic with experimental work on the organ and guitar and spacey sounds from the Minimoog synthesizer.

THIS IS A STRONG AND PLEASANT LIVE CD FROM EARLY CAMEL WITH AN INSPIRED LATIMER AND BARDENS!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Actually one of my favorite Camel albums, and one I spin quite often. I didn't contribute to the "favorite live albums for those that don't generally like live albums" thread, but this would definitely be one of my picks. Camel's music isn't especially intricate, so I really like the energy they bring here. You really feel the excitement of this gig, and it captures, imo, the spirit of what the first incarnation of this band was all about. Good stuff.

Bill

I have this signed and personalized by Andy himself.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

A solid representation of early 70s Camel doing what they were really good at -- jamming. It's a shame they lost touch with that part of their sound, though other bands like Kraan ably stepped in to fill the void. And even though it's so beloved by fans, "Lady Fantasy" is my least favorite track here.

Does anyone know why it was so short, though? They must have released it as a CD and LP, right? I mean, it clocks in right at around 45 minutes.

Great live document from the young days of Camel! I love the energy. Round wise I prefer their '73-75 Gods of Light' recording though. Camel Productions released this on cd in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    A solid representation of early 70s Camel doing what they were really good at -- jamming. It's a shame they lost touch with that part of their sound
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Does anyone know why it was so short, though? They must have released it as a CD and LP, right? I mean, it clocks in right at around 45 minutes.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think this ever came out on vinyl. I'm going to assume it's short because that was all of the recording that they had or that sounded good enough to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Great live document from the young days of Camel! I love the energy. Round wise I prefer their '73-75 Gods of Light' recording though.
    Also a really good one, and sound quality is quite good on this one. For whatever reason, I prefer the performances on the '72 release, but I love having a live version of Arubaluba. I also like the Snow Goose on this album, so both of these are worthwhile for me.

Bill

Really enjoy this one...but is it 100% certain that it was recorded in 1972??

Just seems odd to have two major pieces from Mirage already fully formed and ready to go, plus Pete has the mini moog in his set up, yet didn't have it for the debut album recorded in August 1972.

Anyway, good album.

Matt.

You may be right but to my mind it is quite possible that this was recorded during 1972.

Many bands, during the 70's, would perform material that would not be released until some time later.

For example embryonic versions of DSotM were being performed almost 18 months prior to its release. I myself heard it in Feb 1972 although it was not announced as such.

Plus I think Andy Latimer has mentioned that this was more of a live jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Really enjoy this one...but is it 100% certain that it was recorded in 1972??

Just seems odd to have two major pieces from Mirage already fully formed and ready to go, plus Pete has the mini moog in his set up, yet didn't have it for the debut album recorded in August 1972.

Anyway, good album.

Matt.
    I think you're right about the date of this album tbh. I've thought the same for a long time! Probably a little memory lapse, as on the CP site on Tour news!
    Last edited by Squigelyfox; 06-12-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Really enjoy this one...but is it 100% certain that it was recorded in 1972?? [...] Just seems odd to have two major pieces from Mirage already fully formed and ready to go, plus Pete has the mini moog in his set up, yet didn't have it for the debut album recorded in August 1972.
    Aymeric might know more about this. I always wondered myself; I wouldn't have puzzled on it if it weren't for the fact that the songs are - as you say - fully formed. Two years were a long time for a band during the 70s - to the extent that if an act spent that much between releases, it would often be perceived as a hiatus.

You can understand that material like Henry Cow's was developing slowly, but those were through-composed, written instrumental charts of a density level hitherto unheard of in rock. With Camel, I always thought the material was kinda basic and to-the-"rock"-point.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Camel on the Road 1974 would be my guess....especially listening to this Jun 1974 clip of White Rider which is pretty close...

I always wondered about that too. More like 1974 or 1973?? Are Andy L on here by any chance?

There's a bootleg recording from Reading Town Hall 1975 wherein they performed The Snow Goose for the last time. It's a smoking performance and great recording!
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Funny I never got this CD, I loved early Camel, saw them once at the Golden Bear (across the street from Huntington Beach) and again with Camel as the middle-billing with Wishbone ash as the Headliner and a new band no-one had heard of as the opening band, a band named KISS...(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I have this signed and personalized by Andy himself.
    Me too,plus I have a signed copy of Rajaz and he wrote me a personal note along with it. Love that album.