Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This Heat - Deceit

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Spinning this b'atch again.....actually three times so far today. It's not as good as the new Floyd album, but it'll do in a pinch.
    NOTHING SHALL EVER SURPASS THE NEW FLOYD ALBUM

Anyhooo...this is a good one. I go back and forth on which of their 'proper' albums I like more.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    OK, perhaps not sixteen. I heard it from both Charles and Daevid but it was in conversation. Apologies for the inaccuracy but he did play with them.
    Charles Hayward also played for Crass, at least while Penny Rimbaud was off sick! In a certain kind of way, I've always thought that Crass belong in the same weird world as This Heat and Faust.

As for Deceit, well it's one of my favourite albums of all time, never mind of just This Heat.

I first heard this a few months ago, but it took a few listens to catch on. Now, I love it. Great choice!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I first heard this a few months ago, but it took a few listens to catch on. Now, I love it. Great choice!
    Yeah, it needs to get under your skin, but once it does.....

Pretty close to a masterpiece for me - yeah we all overuse that term - but this album is groundbreaking enough that I think its pretty much there.

This one also took me several listens before really clicking. Incredible album.

chalkpie
    I spin this one every few months and it just gets better and better. BEST ALBUM EVER? Not sure, but it's getting up there for me. Top 50 or so now.

I adore this album. I don't know how I managed to miss this thread? Anyway, I agree with you Chalkpie. What is your favorite track? Also, it seems that yourself, zombywoof and I share many of the same proclivities when it comes to music. Maybe it has something to do with our usernames

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    I adore this album. I don't know how I managed to miss this thread? Anyway, I agree with you Chalkpie. What is your favorite track? Also, it seems that yourself, zombywoof and I share many of the same proclivities when it comes to music. Maybe it has something to do with our usernames
    yeah man! You can add Mike (Lieto) sharing similar enthusiasm as well. FZ fanatics tend to share a special bond me thinks

As to my favorite tracks, man that is really tough since this album is all over the place, but gun to my head right now, I could be forced to narrow it down to:

Paper Hats
    Cenotaph (just LOVE the drumming on this track - especially the high hat pattern)
    Hi Bako Sho

But honestly I love every track almost the same, but those are standouts. What about 'yerself? Are you a cardiacs fan as well?

Since I became a member a couple years back, the two greatest threads on this forum have been the Cardiacs thread(which is still going strong) and the Thinking Plague thread that started prior to the release of Decline and Fall(which ironically enough is right beside This Heat on my cd shelf). R.E.S. is playing as I type this. The guitar solo in that piece still blows my fucking mind!! No one, I mean no one can compose like Tim Smith. He is the master when it comes to writing the most insanely beautiful chord progressions. Anyway, my favorite track off of Deceit is Cenotaph. There are no superlatives I can utilize to express how great that tune is.

chalkpie
    Cheers to that ^

chalkpie
    The s/t album is another disc that just arrived in my ReR order. I don't spin this album as much as Deceit but damn, this one is just as wonderful. "Horizontal Hold" is just an amazing tune. It starts off so grungy/industrial and then the "real" drums kick in dry as a bone - what a sound. There is always such keen attention to texture by this band, and how they implement these sounds perfectly into their compositions is truly brilliant at times. This music is always interesting, challenging, and extremely musical. If you have never heard this band or these albums, go for it. This band is still decades ahead

One of Trigaux's favorite albums

The s/t album is another disc that just arrived in my ReR order. I don't spin this album as much as Deceit but damn, this one is just as wonderful. "Horizontal Hold" is just an amazing tune. It starts off so grungy/industrial and then the "real" drums kick in dry as a bone - what a sound. There is always such keen attention to texture by this band, and how they implement these sounds perfectly into their compositions is truly brilliant at times. This music is always interesting, challenging, and extremely musical. If you have never heard this band or these albums, go for it. This band is still decades ahead

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Charles Hayward also played for Crass, at least while Penny Rimbaud was off sick! In a certain kind of way, I've always thought that Crass belong in the same weird world as This Heat and Faust.
    AFAIK, This Heat played on occasion with all of the three biggest UK anarcho-punk groups at the time; Crass, Slits and The Pop Group. While I wouldn't point to any significant similarities in musical modes as such, their artistic expressions certainly had overlaps. They played with the Virgin Prunes as well, and you can even hear some mutual influence there, I think. I suppose what set This Heat somewhat apart was the overt and obvious sophistication of their technical basics in soundmaking and arrangement, something they shared with other Cold Storage peers like The Work and the incredible HET.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I find all of TH's records sublime, but DECEIT is the bee's knees. (y). Haven't had them in a while, but 3 of Charles' solo LP's ("Survive The Gesture", "One Big Atom" and "Abracadabra Information") are also great. Some of his solo stuff ("Switch-on War", "Skew Whiff", etc.) I gotta be in the right mood for, but are well worth investigating - from an artrock/ truly experimental standpoint. Camberwell Now was also very, very fine. (y) (y) (y)

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Camberwell Now was also very, very fine.
    One of the best kept secrets of the entire UK post-punk era, IMHO. I'm always amazed at how many even among the "usual suspects" who don't know about them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I was instantly hooked by their radically inventive ideas, their linking of krautrock to post punk.
    same here! Especially the first album.

Cheers, Peter

I also like the Lifetones a lot, with Charles Bullen. Pretty much in the same vain as Deceit. Anyone have any comments on this one?

Cheers, Peter

Horizontal hold is my favorite track with This Heat ... or at least on that album.

I like Lifetones a lot, but never saw the light with Camberwell Now, owned it but sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Camberwell Now was also very, very fine.)
    Co-sign.I bought the cd that has most of Camberwell Now's studio tracks six months ago and it gets spin here at Chez Walt.Some good stuff here.Such as:

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    AFAIK, This Heat played on occasion with all of the three biggest UK anarcho-punk groups at the time; Crass, Slits and The Pop Group.
    Not sure if these things are ever interesting to anyone else, but it can be striking (if only to oneself) to realise the errant pathways by which we come to music.

I had 2 or 3 years in my early/mid teens intensively listening to The Nice/ELP/VdGG/Yes, but from about 1979/80 moved over to post-punk, initially by way of Joy Division/Magazine/early Simple Minds - & then, from there, back to the more dubby/free jazzy explorations of the Pop Group/PIL/The Slits - after which, I tended to listen to a lot of dub, & even more of the warped dub coming out of Adrian Sherwood's On-U label (where Mark Stewart was ranter in residence).

It took me another 30+ years to take the plunge back into Kraut (which I somehow didn't take cognisance of, back in the day - pre-internet, such oversights were always more possible), thanks mainly to 2 or 3 threads hereabouts. (Moebius' sad passing has sent me scurrying back to Cluster & Harmonia, &, especially, Harmonia Live in 1974, which I've just got hold of, & which is stunning.)

Anyway, around the time I was immersing myself in the Kraut, & again, doubtless inspired by some comment or other hereabouts, I got hold of the first This Heat lp - there was a faint stirring of recognition - I must have heard it 35 years ago, when I was listening to the Pop Group, et al, without going any further with it.

Anyway, the re-emergence of this thread means that I'll be giving This Heat a few more spins over the next few days, to reacquaint myself with it properly - & definitely getting hold of Deceit.

Funny how going back can, at times, feel like exploring forwards...

Camberwell Now and Hayward's solo albums are all wonderful.
    I can't think of a single recording in which he plays a large part that I don't enjoy enormously.
    A true auteur in addition to being, to my mind, one of the greatest living drummers.

Out of all my This Heat cds, i play Made Available, the Peel Sessions release,most often.I have to be in a very receptive mood to play TH.I don't spin them too often, but i'm glad i have 'em.

chalkpie
    So is the 'All's Well' compilation the one to get?

Yep.

So is the 'All's Well' compilation the one to get?
    Yes.That's what i have.