Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This Heat - Deceit

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great to see some love for this record. But honestly if only 23 people on this forum have ever heard it, then I'm as sad as a Perruum Vurrttah Vurrttah Hai Hai Ka hamataii Destuctiw bald eagle (it's a Kobaain Bald Eagle) from the Planet Gong. Where's Noseybony, Sean the King of this Lande, Kermanator, Blonde Slut, Red-Haired Prostitute, and Yessucksdonkeyass2654?
    give your thread a chance to be noticed by everyone, it's only one day old...

And to be honest, given the band's minimalist approach, I find that 21 persons in 24 hours on this board is rather a pleasant surprise

It's not like This Heat will necessarily appeal to many of the symphonic weenies on the PE board
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's not like This Heat will necessarily appeal to many of the symphonic weenies on the PE board
    Try posting a thread on Chris McGuire's second cousin having been spotted wearing argyle socks in downtown Sevilla, and the thing soon moves onto page three.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 06-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    give your thread a chance to be noticed by everyone, it's only one day old...

And to be honest, given the band's minimalist approach, I find that 21 persons in 24 hours on this board is rather a pleasant surprise

Well have listened to the links & it's not my cup of tea ! Thanks for providing the opportunity anyway as I had never heared of them!
    Last edited by Rufus; 06-10-2013 at 07:00 AM.

It's a great album that was maybe too 'out there' for Post-Punk and too confrontational and politically charged for the hippíes in our midst. You have to give DJ John Peel some credit for playing This Heat on his show during the late 70's as they were 'round pegs in a square hole'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Well have listened to the links & it's not my cup of tea ! Thanks for providing the opportunity anyway as I had never of them!
    My point to Chalkpie exactly, thanks!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Funny, I got into This Heat following a link from Faust, and still think of them as "the English Faust." The first album still slays me, but Deceit is also excellent. I have managed to collect a half dozen This Heat bootlegs, so my TH collection is actually eleven discs. I feel blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Funny, I got into This Heat following a link from Faust, and still think of them as "the English Faust." The first album still slays me, but Deceit is also excellent.
    A rather good parellel.... though Faust Tapes saw them go much further...

Fascinating album.

Don't forget the Gong connection!

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    There is a great catch all CD called `All's Well' featuring their entire output, including the excellent `Green Fingers'. I lived in Camberwell at the time (it's a district of London) so it has fond memories.
    Finally after many years, I just ordered this. Listened again to the samples on Amazon and they kill. Thanks for reminding me.

chalkpie
    You're Velcome.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    Don't forget the Gong connection!
    What?

Charles played in Gong very briefly when he was sixteen.

This album is a permanent fixture in my Top 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Charles played in Gong very briefly when he was sixteen.
    Provenance for this? It is not mentioned in the definitive bio. Charles would have been 16 in 1967, and Gong was (marginally) operational at that time so the contention is at least plausible.

Wikipedia lists him as a member 1971-2, when he would have been 20 or 21 -- but this is unsourced as well.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-12-2013 at 05:50 PM.

This is probably wiki's source

http://www.planetgong.co.uk/archives...ngteapot.shtml

Gong were at the cusp of radical change towards the end of 72. We had toured France exhaustively while dealing with a challenging sequence of different drummers. ( Rachid Houari/Pip Pyle/Mac Poole/Laurie Allen/Charles Hayward/Rob Tate)
    Last edited by Morpheus; 06-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.

OK, perhaps not sixteen. I heard it from both Charles and Daevid but it was in conversation. Apologies for the inaccuracy but he did play with them.

I remember being exposed to THIS HEAT in the winter of 1983. I was at a friends and we sat through Repeat and Health And Efficiency. I was instantly hooked by their radically inventive ideas, their linking of krautrock to post punk. It sounded not like in the "in" new wavish albums with a krauty edge (as MAGAZINE's "Real Life" or HUMAN LEAGUE's "Dignity of Labour" f.e.); it had bits of the early industrial scene, RIO, african music, DIY punk. One of the best and more uncompromised things I'd heard till that time. Needless to say that I had my friend copy me every THIS HEAT he owned on tape. This band was just brilliant, the best crossroad from the 70s to the wealth of what the underground 80s had been. Simply amazing...

If you are in need for such rewarding stuff, try Australia's SEVERED HEADS next...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    If you are in need for such rewarding stuff, try Australia's SEVERED HEADS next...
    Care to recommend which album ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Care to recommend which album ?
    Clifford Darling, Please Don't Live in the Past for starters...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I heard This Heat some time back in the 80s and was impressed enough to buy some used vinyl. A few years ago I picked up the boxed set. Predictably enough Deceit is my favourite although I like everything they've done.

recent facebook post from a friend:

"this heat does not make me a happy camper"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    "this heat does not make me a happy camper"
    Try Camper Well Now.

^
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

chalkpie
    Spinning this b'atch again.....actually three times so far today. It's not as good as the new Floyd album, but it'll do in a pinch.