Thread: Happy Family gig?

Happy Family gig?

Hey, I seem to recall that the amazing Japanese band Happy Family, were supposed to be having a re-union gig...in April, maybe? I can't find the thread and noone has reported on it. Does anyone know if it happened, and if so, how it went?

Thanks,
    neil

It happened.

I wasn't there

I heard it went great.

Their new demos are pretty astounding. Like they never stopped since the last one....

The band posted these two videos from their performance:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wow, thanks for that, Steve. Man, they are intense. And if by "...new demos are pretty astounding", you are even hinting about the possibility of a new record, you have made my day.

neil

Hell yes! Thanks for posting these Steve! I've missed em! How old are these guys now.. late 30's, early 40's?? Where have they been all this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    How old are these guys now.. late 30's, early 40's?? Where have they been all this time?
    I seem to remember reading that they quit (or reduced) their musical activity due to the restraints of finishing higher education, and that they more or less went directly from there into dayjobs and family (no pun). One of them was in a Magma cover band led by iconic Tatsuya Yoshida (Ruins, Koenjihyakkei etc. etc.) for several years, but I believe this project folded at least some10-12 years ago.

I'll anticipate the eventual return of this band with severe expectations at Thinking Plague- or 5UU's or Änglagård-level.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I did dig out my copy of Tossco and put it on the hard drive. I see I got the first album on here, but not Tossco. Pretty heavy music. I should perhaps play them on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I did dig out my copy of Tossco and put it on the hard drive.
    I just listened to that one last night. Great stuff.