Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paul McCartney in Concert

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Saw McCartney at Yankee Stadium 2 years ago...Great to see him but Yankee Stadium should stick to ball games, not the best place for a concert..Would have liked to see him in Brooklyn , but just too costly this time around..
    It's also not the best place for a baseball game this year. And that's coming from a die-hard Yankees fan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One of the best rock shows I've ever seen. I gave my two seats to my sons that were 21 rows from the stage and my brother gave me a seat in his box seats. I'm somewhat ambivalent about not getting full up into the action but my back was sore and I didn't feel like standing. It's the first time my 12 year old really enjoyed a rock show and my 21 year old loved it too. The band was incredibly tight and McCartney played two songs he didn't play in the recent past, both from Sgt Pepper's (awesome). I thought Paul's voice was in excellent condition. He ran through a quite a bit of the Beatles discography and some of the most decent music from his solo career. I've never seen such a deceptively striped down stage that had the most state of the art set up I've ever seen (wicked graphics, explosions, rising stage, etc.). I'd rate the show 9/10. I had such high expectations and he delivered on every single level.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here's a recent set list. I'm assuming the "Pepper" songs you referenced were "Lovely Rita" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."

01 Eight Days A Week
    02 Junior's Farm
    03 All My Loving
    04 Listen To What The Man Said
    05 Let Me Roll It
    06 Paperback Writer
    07 My Valentine
    08 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
    09 The Long And Winding Road
    10 Maybe I'm Amazed
    11 Things We Said Today
    12 We Can Work It Out
    13 Another Day
    14 And I Love Her
    15 Blackbird
    16 Here Today
    17 Your Mother Should Know
    18 Lady Madonna
    19 All Together Now
    20 Lovely Rita
    21 Mrs. Vandebilt
    22 Eleanor Rigby
    23 Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
    24 Ram On
    25 Something
    26 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    27 Band On The Run
    28 Back In The U.S.S.R.
    29 Let It Be
    30 Live And Let Die
    31 Hey Jude
    32 Day Tripper
    33 Hi, Hi, Hi
    34 I Saw Her Standing There
    35 Yesterday
    36 Helter Skelter
    37 Golden Slumbers
    38 Carry That Weight
    39 The End

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Here's a recent set list. I'm assuming the "Pepper" songs you referenced were "Lovely Rita" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."
    What an incredible set list. I checked the Ottawa set list and it looks about the same. Lovely Rita was nice but The Benefit of Mr. Kite was incredible. I also liked the banter. Paul taking about her experiences hanging out with Jimi and Eric in London. He also refer to Ringo, John, and George and the audience went wild. My oldest son is in the Canadian Forces and his friend played bagpipe on the last song Paul played (Mull of Kintyre (with Ottawa Police Service Pipe Band)). Unfortunately, we took off after Day Tripper so we missed Helter Skelter and two or three other songs.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Unfortunately, we took off after Day Tripper so we missed Helter Skelter and two or three other songs.
    Are you crazy?

Are you crazy?

- I didn't check previous set lists so thought 3 or 4 songs were it. I had not idea 4 or 5 songs were still to go.

Rule number one: stay until the house lights come on and piped-in music starts playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Benefit of Mr. Kite was incredible.
    That for me was a highlight in the Brooklyn show too.

(Very cool they played Mull Of Kintrye with your sons friend and his Pipe band; think that's the first time on this tour for that song.)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Great song! Great show. Glad you enjoy it too.

01 Eight Days A Week
    02 Junior's Farm
    03 All My Loving
    04 Listen To What The Man Said
    05 Let Me Roll It
    06 Paperback Writer
    07 My Valentine
    08 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
    09 The Long And Winding Road
    10 Maybe I'm Amazed
    11 Things We Said Today
    12 We Can Work It Out
    13 Another Day
    14 And I Love Her
    15 Blackbird
    16 Here Today
    17 Your Mother Should Know
    18 Lady Madonna
    19 All Together Now
    20 Lovely Rita
    21 Mrs. Vandebilt
    22 Eleanor Rigby
    23 Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
    24 Ram On
    25 Something
    26 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    27 Band On The Run
    28 Back In The U.S.S.R.
    29 Let It Be
    30 Live And Let Die
    31 Hey Jude
    32 Day Tripper
    33 Hi, Hi, Hi
    34 I Saw Her Standing There
    35 Yesterday
    36 Helter Skelter
    37 Golden Slumbers
    38 Carry That Weight
    39 The End
    I've been on a McCartney high all over again with the Cobert appearance.
    That's a hell of a list, a little different from last year's. I think I would of melted with Ram On.
    I was seriously thinking about driving out to Indianapolis sunday night but just remembered I have Ian Anderson tickets.

^ that is interesting. Fascinating. I'd love to see the whole thing & without the background music.

I recently saw the Red Square DVD and was knocked out. Great show!
    Last edited by davis; 07-10-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Found this on YT. Pretty cool, me thinks................

Thanks for sharing, that is most excellent.

When I hear the song Smile Away I can't help but think about all of those young kids who think the Black Keys invented that sound when all along it was Sir Paul.

We planned for our Boston trip back in January. Our hotel was 1 mile from Fenway, I was looking forward to going to Fenway to watch a RedSox game. But when the baseball schedule came out, the RedSox were out of town for our entire trip. I find out Paul McCartney is at Fenway Tuesday night, the show was completely sold out, but with my dumb luck, we walk over to Fenway in the afternoon, and I was able to buy newly released tickets in the rightfield rooftop, near the pesky pole. And what a show! The setlist was similar to the above, and we definitely stayed until the end. We both marveled at the incredible talents of Paul. He captivated the audience, and it was a very entertaining show.

Went to show here in DC last night. He was indeed as great as everyone has said - an incredibly memorable evening. Killer setlist, sizzling performance. Too bad it was in a huge baseball stadium - a dreadful place to see a show, especially one of an artist you love.

My brother just scored tix for this Friday's show in Seattle from an ex co-worker. They're on the floor and look like pretty good seats (6 rows back in the second section of floor rows). I'm stoked. My first time seeing a Beatle.

Seriously? Sounds kinda wobbly to me.

If that vocal was isolated...
    Wobbly, as in "I'm 70 fucking years old" wobbly? Sure.

The performance still gave me chills. I can only imagine how cool it must have been there in person.