Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: Gong - Shamal

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    There obviously were hints of Moerlen's future, even in the Allen days, though, in songs like "Love is What Y Make It."
    Interestingly, this was performed live (instrumentally, with Jorge Pinchevsky playing the melody on violin) on the "Shamal" tour - I don't think it had been during the Allen days.

  2. #27
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,235
    Shamal is a good album but I much prefer the next two when I get in the mood for some fusion-y Gong material.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  3. #28
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    662
    When was Shamal released? There is some conflicting information on the internet about it. Some sources say 1975, some point to 1976. Does anyone here know for sure?
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  4. #29
    I can't recall if Fish Rising was released before Shamal or after it. I know that some members on Shamal played with Gong in '74 and can be heard on the live '74 Oslo CD. An interesting transitional period for Gong. Steve Hillage performs material written for Fish Rising at that concert, so perhaps Fish Rising was released between YOU and Shamal? Shamal contains beautiful instrumentals . No doubt. Mike Howlett on vocals is not my preference to be, but it's a very good album with a unique approach and differs greatly from You, Fish Rising, and the later releases such as Expresso II . It's unique to own it because it's during a transitional period that began around the time of the Oslo '74 concert with Allen and Hillage sharing more of the songwriting and the instrumental end of things becoming a form of masculinity. As a result, Daevid Allen departed because he was disenchanted with the musicians in the band being like a bunch of stunt car drivers. A shame though because Allen did fit nicely over top of that expansion that...at the time...had progressed much further than Angel's Egg. So he left to record Good Morning. Shamal is cool because it put a definite stamp on precisely what direction the Gong band wanted to take. I loved the Radio Gnome Trilogy, but this period of Gong , where music was exploring different expanding ideas fascinated me.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    When was Shamal released? There is some conflicting information on the internet about it. Some sources say 1975, some point to 1976. Does anyone here know for sure?
    I have some encyclopedia who mention 1976, while discogs goes for 1975.
    According to http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr/gong/index.html it was released on Febr. 13 1976.
    Maybe the conflict is cause by a "1975" on the album-cover?

    B.t.w. discogs gives 1976 for Gazeuse/Expresso, while that one was released Jan. 1977 according to Calyx.
    My copy(Virgin) has P 1976 on the cover though.

  6. #31
    February 1976

  7. #32
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    662
    Thank you! I will go with that 1976!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  8. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Continental Europe
    Posts
    132
    Somehow underrated nowadays but it is one of "must have" albums of the 1970s Progressive rock.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Despite being very 'transitional' as you say, this album still has a great deal of charm, sadly lacking in the Moerlen version of the band.
    I'd agree with you almost. Gazeuse is, in everything but name, a PM Gong album and still really kicks ass, AFAIC, largely due to the presence of Holdsworth but also because of the really outstanding percussion arrangements (turned and untuned).
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  10. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Continental Europe
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'd agree with you almost. Gazeuse is, in everything but name, a PM Gong album and still really kicks ass, AFAIC, largely due to the presence of Holdsworth but also because of the really outstanding percussion arrangements (turned and untuned).
    'Gazeuse!' is surely one of the best Jazz-Rock albums of the Seventies and beyond, while 'Shamal', with a touch of Jazz-Rock, is one of the very best Progressive rock albums ever recorded. Some people don't like 'Shamal', I presume, mostly due to lack of Daevid Allen in personnel that recorded that album masterfully produced by Nick Mason from Pink Floyd. And 'Gazeuse!' for them "isn't GonG". Well, that's their right to be pathetic, but both albums are phenomenal without a question.

    I always loved the opening track at the most as well. Progressive rock in all of its glory!


  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juba View Post
    'Gazeuse!' is surely one of the best Jazz-Rock albums of the Seventies and beyond, while 'Shamal', with a touch of Jazz-Rock, is one of the very best Progressive rock albums ever recorded. Some people don't like 'Shamal', I presume, mostly due to lack of Daevid Allen in personnel that recorded that album masterfully produced by Nick Mason from Pink Floyd. And 'Gazeuse!' for them "isn't GonG". Well, that's their right to be pathetic, but both albums are phenomenal without a question.

    I always loved the opening track at the most as well. Progressive rock in all of its glory!

    I always liked the minimal electric guitar by Hillage on that song. It always reminded me of the minimal electric guitar by DiMeola on Stomu Yamashta's Go.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  12. #37
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,052
    for me, the Tuned Percussion takes Gong to another level. As much as I love YOU, the next 5 albums with Pierre are also outstanding
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  13. #38
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    662
    I love Daevid Allen era but Shamal is my favourite Gong album anyway. There is something really unique about the style and atmosphere of the album that never fails to impress me. Brilliant production by Nick Mason also helps! Great album!

    After this Moerlen took the charge completely and even if there is some nice music on those albums too they don't thrill me much.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •