Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson-New song from the Zamran project [Son of Olias]

Jon Anderson-New song from the Zamran project [Son of Olias]

This sounds great, love the visuals too !!! His voice sounds as good as ever.

Does anyone know if this project going to be released as CD eventually ? The link says an audio visual album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2LF...layer_embedded

http://sevendragons.org/zamran/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Does anyone know if this project going to be released as an album eventually ?
    Only Jon knows that.

Hasn't this been talked about for over 25 years?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Brilliant stuff.

If you like Olias, you will like this.

See it.

Hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This sounds great, love the visuals too !!! His voice sounds as good as ever.
    Agreed.

Great news! I'm really looking forward to this.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sounds like a better-conceived version of the usual solo Jon: Very pretty, very New Age-y. I can imagine him making a lot of music that sounds like "Wondrous Stories," but none that sounds like "Awaken," or even the out-there parts of Olias.

I'm definitely on the side of preferring post-Jon Yes to solo Jon. Agreed on his voice sounding great though.

I've said it a lot here, but it's worth repeating: Jon's "Open" from a few years ago is one of the best things he's done outside of Yes IMO. A glorious epic track.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The problem with most of JA's solo output is the lack of supporting players. Almost everything sounds like it is a demo tape waiting for other instruments. if he is going for sing-song New Age, then he's spot on, but I would love to have seen what Squire, Howe and White would have done with The Living Tree, etc...
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    The problem with most of JA's solo output is the lack of supporting players.
    In that sense, it makes a perfect sequel to "Olias." A homespun story like that needs a similarly homespun follow-up.

I wonder if Jon is playing everything on this, like he did on the original "Olias." If so, apparently he's learned to play the violin or a similar instrument (or it's a very convincing keyboard sample).

J. D.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It sounds fine as hell, but JA needs to focus and start delivering the goods. Throw up a link and watch how fast I preorder.

Sounds nice. There is another song there on youtube called 'Come By' that I like just as well I think. Very comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Throw up a link and watch how fast I preorder.
    Indeed!

That was wonderful. Only blight was that thankfully brief "You Belong to the City" saxophone line.

Here his voice sounds very good, much better than in the Open suite and much better than the latest live concerts, it says 2013 but who knows when was this recorded....

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Sounds like a better-conceived version of the usual solo Jon: Very pretty, very New Age-y. I can imagine him making a lot of music that sounds like "Wondrous Stories," but none that sounds like "Awaken," or even the out-there parts of Olias.

I'm definitely on the side of preferring post-Jon Yes to solo Jon. Agreed on his voice sounding great though.
    What he said. My only beef with this -- and with most of Jon's material lately -- is that it is painfully linear and lacking in the sort of modulations, key shifts, or general surprise factor that characterizes his best work, with Yes or solo. But it is a notch up overall.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Mack View Post
    I wonder if Jon is playing everything on this, like he did on the original "Olias."
    Jon is credited at the end along with Jamie Dunlap. I'm guessing Jon's contributions are mainly in the vocal and creative direction area. I wouldn't bet he was involved instrumentally much at all.

The chorus reminds me alot of City of Angels - especially the abundant reverb and delay. I still don't mind the chorus though, for the rest this sums it up ----->

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    painfully linear and lacking in the sort of modulations, key shifts, or general surprise factor that characterizes his best work, with Yes or solo.
    I miss the melodies in JA ( and Yes for that matter).

This is my favourite 'recent' recording from Jon Anderson and kills anything else he has done post Yes imho

Sounds great, love it! Good ol' Jon...

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It sounds fine as hell, but JA needs to focus and start delivering the goods. Throw up a link and watch how fast I preorder.
    Exactly!!!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Only Jon knows that.

Hasn't this been talked about for over 25 years?
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that clip and hope it does see the light of day. I wish Jon would put more effort into finishing his projects instead of just talking about them.

Rick

Sounds great now get 'er done! I'll buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    The chorus reminds me alot of City of Angels - especially the abundant reverb and delay. I still don't mind the chorus though, for the rest this sums it up ----->

I miss the melodies in JA ( and Yes for that matter).

This is my favourite 'recent' recording from Jon Anderson and kills anything else he has done post Yes imho

His voice in this song is not so great as the Zamran project though the song is nice too.

This stuff sounds great, but what it seriously lacks is any significant contrast. Olias, and most classic Yes, is loaded with great shifts of mood. But this material is series of happy, major key passages. He needs to recall for a moment what really made "Heart of the Sunrise," "South Side," and other tunes like that work. Upbeat and sunny loses all effect with no contrast.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

To answer various questions above, this project dates back at least to 2001 and possibly as early as 1999. While Anderson's initial plan was to record everything himself (as on the original Olias), he has been collaborating with a large number of other musicians for many years now. Jame Dunlap is one of those: he previously did the music for "New New World" on Survival & Other Stories and is better known for soundtrack work on "South Park".

Anderson initially talked about an album release, that then became a set of multiple albums or multiple DVDs or even a videogame, but in recent years, he's talked about some sort of audio-visual experience, computer animation etc., possibly through an app. He's also talked about the project including 3-5 hours of music.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

PS: This isn't new: it was uploaded in October last year, I think.

Henry

So far, it seems to be lots of people doing work on spec for free via the Internet for Anderson. What there doesn't seem to be is any management behind this, organising it, making sure it actually comes to market in a sensible way.

Henry