Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Ears - what's the appeal??

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Sean, yes I would. There have been times I have not really wanted to post, but have always lurked and read. I'm not one for sharing problems with the world, but it was good to see my virtual pals enthusing about music and the tangential interests that divert us so. Anyway that's all behind me now, it was a few years ago now that I hit my marriage break up which was hard to take after 20 plus years together, but my kids and I are unscathed, our relationship is better than ever, and out of the dust I have walked into a new love that has so knocked me off my feet... she doesn't understand prog though, and I just can't define it for her. Possible thread title "what is prog." well it has been a while since we did it!
    Glad things are looking up for you, Chris!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'm showing 490 members online right now - holy smokes!!

What is your secret, PE??
    It's not...you know...there.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

"There are currently 1285 users browsing this forum. (387 members & 898 guests)"

As of Tuesday morning (in Continental Europe)

this is a bit scary...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I'll mess wherever I feel like messing.
    Well, I'm not cleaning that up
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    BUSTED!! (I was testing something )

It's gone now ... but many stars will be appearing soon. (Hint - think "stars" on PEv2.)
    My 15 minutes is over.

The appeal for me is that this site is always buzzing with activity, and it's well moderated. Too many sites are micro-managed to the point of sucking all the life out of it. Most people here are intelligent and can talk about all sorts of things besides prog. I'm currently going through a rough patch myself (sick mother with dementia) so I come here to escape a little.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Progressive Ears - what's the appeal??
    Good question. I came downstairs to my home office to begin working 45 minutes ago, but first clicked onto the Progressive Ears tab on I.E. I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Good question. I came downstairs to my home office to begin working 45 minutes ago, but first clicked onto the Progressive Ears tab on I.E. I'm still here.
    you got the addiction. stop by the prog doctors office in the morning to get it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    It's not...you know...there.
    No, it is definitely not ...You Know...There.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The appeal for me is that this site is always buzzing with activity, and it's well moderated. Too many sites are micro-managed to the point of sucking all the life out of it. Most people here are intelligent and can talk about all sorts of things besides prog. I'm currently going through a rough patch myself (sick mother with dementia) so I come here to escape a little.
    I'm sorry to hear that you mother is ill, Vic. I wish her well.
    And I agree with all you've said about PE's appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post

I was very bad at work today. Checking out PE on my iPhone between classes, instead of grading papers. Very, very bad.

It's so nice to be retired (not so nice to be old) and have all the time I need to f**k off here in the land of the loonies.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well moderated, interesting discussions, friendly knowledgeable people, minimal trolling, feels like a community, excellent music recommendations, made many friends here.

It's nice here.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm sorry to hear that you mother is ill, Vic. I wish her well.
    And I agree with all you've said about PE's appeal.

Thanks Amy.

It's smells a little funny in here, but Prog Ears is a pretty cool place to hang out. The music I have discovered here in the past 10 years has blown my mind! For the most part, the people are good here. I appreciate the friendships I have made in the Prog community. You guys were there for me during some rough patches, and I've certainly had my share of those these past few years! Better times are ahead now.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Holy f.....

There are currently 1447 users browsing this forum. (344 members & 1103 guests)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It was up over 3,000 yesterday. But I wouldn't put too much stock into the main page stats for few reasons (and I'm just guessing a bit here):

1) A lot of people just put PE up all day and go away, but it still lists you as logged in or viewing.

2) There are all kinds of anomalies that could attribute to why there are so many 'guests'.

3) If you examine how many times threads get read, it doesn't add up to what purports to be the overall viewership. And while there are over 1,000 registered participants at this point, history shows that the vast majority of the posting at PE is from about the same 100-200 people. The rest are lurkers and/or casual/selective participants.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well moderated, interesting discussions, friendly knowledgeable people, minimal trolling, feels like a community, excellent music recommendations, made many friends here.

It's nice here.
    This sums it up pretty well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    3) If you examine how many times threads get read, it doesn't add up to what purports to be the overall viewership. And while there are over 1,000 registered participants at this point, history shows that the vast majority of the posting at PE is from about the same 100-200 people. The rest are lurkers and/or casual/selective participants.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too... Though the top viewed thread (best 2012 album) has 4000 views.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Though the top viewed thread (best 2012 album) has 4000 views.
    And just think that 2012 ain't over yet for us to compile our "final" lists...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm currently going through a rough patch myself (sick mother with dementia) so I come here to escape a little.
    Sorry about your mom Vic and all the best. Hope we can entertain you a little, over here...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too... Though the top viewed thread (best 2012 album) has 4000 views.
    People going back to the same thread again and again push up those views.

I doubt that. It's probably just one of the more popular ones at the moment since it's so general.

It looks like the amount of viewers is higher everytime. Currently it appears to be more than 4,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It looks like the amount of viewers is higher everytime. Currently it appears to be more than 4,000.
    Yeah, this has gotten ridiculous (not to mention affecting the credibility)
    There are currently 4238 users online. 745 members and 3493 guests

I'll check on this.

I think that if you clicked "Remember Me" when logging in - the system thinks you're still online, even though you may have actually left the site.
    Regards,

Duncan

More than 5,000 visitors at this moment? There must be something wrong.