Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drummer in Front?

The instruments are obviously miming, but the lead vocal is live. Note that Mick makes a mistake at 1:16, repeating "same old" when the taped backing vocal is saying "story." Love the face he makes shortly before that.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Actually, the first wireless guitar was made in the late 60's by Micro-Frets
    Yeah, the so called "aroused dog" model. But I don't think it was until the mid 70's that they really became commonplace, and I suspect it took even longer to get them to actually sound good. I remember Dave Murray saying he didn't use a wireless system in the 80's because it didn't sound as good as using a conventional guitar cord (or a "lead" as they call them in the UK) and besides which he didn't move around that much onstage anyway.

Hey, maybe that's one of the reasons Bob Weir had such a shitty guitar tone during the 80's, because he was always running a wireless system onstage!

In the book on James Jamerson, there is a photo of him playing a club in '65 (IIRC) where he had a wireless device.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They explained there are two types of six string basses, the other being the so called "modern" instruments, first developed by jazz bassist Anthony Jackson, that are designed to be tuned C-E-A-D-G-B.
    I believe that should be B-E-A-D-G-C.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I believe that should be B-E-A-D-G-C.
    (Daffy Duck mode) Like I was saying, the "modern" six string bass is tuned BEADGC, in fourths.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    In the book on James Jamerson, there is a photo of him playing a club in '65 (IIRC) where he had a wireless device.
    Yeah, but what did the sound coming out of the amplifier sound like?

Yeah, but what did the sound coming out of the amplifier sound like?
    Hard to say. But, I was merely pointing out the date.

Taal had their two drummers facing each other centre stage and all the other musicians played around them
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What about Bruford? Wasn't he up front onstage? I can't really remember too well, but I seem to remember there never being anyone in front of him.

I kind of like the Transatlantic layout. I used that a couple of decades ago, on stages that weren't very deep. Drums on one side, keys on the other, with the bassist and I in the middle. Upon viewing the tapes from those performances, I discovered I kind of liked the look. Our keyboardist sat, so there was a balance in the look, with the two guys sitting surrounded by hardware on either side, and two guys standing in the middle. Plus, no one covered up any other player; everyone looked more equal, somehow. It would've been nice to have risers for drums and keys, but we weren't that big...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    What about Bruford? Wasn't he up front onstage? I can't really remember too well, but I seem to remember there never being anyone in front of him.
    Maybe in Earthworks where he was the star. His autobio talks a lot about his bandmates asses though so prior to Earthworks, no.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Maybe in Earthworks where he was the star. His autobio talks a lot about his bandmates asses though so prior to Earthworks, no.
    Well, I was thinking of the band "Bruford"; I guess I should've mentioned that part... :P
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Well, I was thinking of the band "Bruford"; I guess I should've mentioned that part... :P
    Same story with Karen Carpenter, Rick Allen (Def Leppard), Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker: sometimes the drummer is the star.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I could swear when I saw UK that it was Jobson, Bruford, Wetton and Holdsworth from L-R across the stage at the front all at about the same distance from the edge, and Holdsworth would often step back and off to the side into the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Same story with Karen Carpenter, Rick Allen (Def Leppard), Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker: sometimes the drummer is the star.
    How is Rick Allen "the star"? Because he only has one arm? You know they use drum machines on the records, right? And most of the "heavy lifting" in live performance is being done by the loops he triggers with his left foot. I'd have been more impressed if he had kept drumming with an acoustic drum kit.

That's cold man.

Don't Tool line up with Maynard singing from an upper level and Danny on the lower level?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How is Rick Allen "the star"?
    I was wondering that, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Re: Rick Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was wondering that, too.
    I guess because of his high profile, technology assisted, return to the drum riser after losing an arm in an accident, it somehow made him "the star" of the band. I remember back during the Hysteria tour, seeing a thing on MTV where Joe Elliott (the singer) was taking the camera crew on a "tour" of the band's stage, when he gets to the drum riser, he mentions Rick's electronic drumkit and says something like "So much has been said about that already, I'll forgo explaining it to you any further". Hence, I guess somehow Rick became "the star" of the band or whatever.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I believe Jerry Marotta was up front on one of the sides, facing Gabriel during the Security tour. Then again, that could have been only at the venue I saw.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Cowboy Mouth
    The singer is also the drummer...
    Not Prog.

sure, not prog but a helluva lotta fun in conert

Banned
    How is Rick Allen "the star"? Because he only has one arm? You know they use drum machines on the records, right? And most of the "heavy lifting" in live performance is being done by the loops he triggers with his left foot. I'd have been more impressed if he had kept drumming with an acoustic drum kit.
    Your post was kinda harsh, don't you think. Have respect for the handicapped. Only Hysteria has some programmed drum assistance, because Rick was still learning how to use his new kit. Everything else after was totally Rick. He did start using an acoustic kit in '96, but still with the device that stores the sounds that Rick can't play with his missing arm(he triggers those via a foot pedal).