Thread: New solo release from Savatage's Jon Oliva

New solo release from Savatage's Jon Oliva

Exciting new release from Savatage's Jon Oliva: his first official solo album! Musically, the word on this album is that it is very diverse and different from Savatage, TSO, and Jon Oliva's Pain. Jon says the album is all feel and very moody, and contains the last of Criss Oliva's riffs that Jon had left on tape, so several songs are co-written by him. He also brought in a new songwriting partner in "Doc" Dan Fasciano on several of the tunes, amping up the keyboards much more than on the Jon Oliva's Pain albums. Early reviews are glowing and say that there is a real 70s vibe about it, maybe even a little proggy.

This is the first track from it, and I am loving the organ on this:

One big surprise...

I was set to listen to this and think, "Oh, God, but I'd still have to put up with that voice of his that made me appreciate Zak Stevens so much..."

But then... WHAM! He's WAY improved vocally, much more listenable. And it's a very cool song, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    He's WAY improved vocally, much more listenable. And it's a very cool song, to boot.
    Agreed on both! Jon's vocals are sounding real good here. This is a real cool rocker, just fun to turn up and enjoy. I am looking forward to the whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    One big surprise...

I was set to listen to this and think, "Oh, God, but I'd still have to put up with that voice of his that made me appreciate Zak Stevens so much..."

But then... WHAM! He's WAY improved vocally, much more listenable.
    Can't really agree. He sounds more generic here. His crazy ass metal voice was one of the best distinct things about early Savatage. He voice still sounds 'good' though. He is still a brilliant composer too. The only thing that gets me about his post 2000 output is the excessive compression used on the recordings just like every other modern band. At the end of the day I'm just going to go back to classic Savatage because 80s and 90s recordings are easier on the ear.

Different strokes for different folks. Agree to disagree. Other variants of the same concept.

I loved "Streets: A Rock Opera" musically... but JO's voice just turned me off it after three listens and I never got it on CD. Similarly, "Dead Winter Dead" is great... until "Doesn't Matter Anyway" comes on and his voice makes me reach for the ibuprofen. Only Devin Townsend is more grating as a metal vocalist. What you call "generic" I call listenable, and I'm glad he took this turn, because he is an exceptional songwriter/musician.

I'll be the first to admit that Jon's voice can be an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first blush, but it has grown on me over the years, particularly seeing him perform live.

This an album trailer for "Raise The Curtain" to give a nice pre-listening of the new tracks:

I'm liking the sound of this a lot....some it has a very '70s feel, some even a bit proggy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn't even sound like Jon Oliva. If I had heard this without knowing who it was, I wouldn't have known who it was. Which sounds a lot like Dana Carvey, "If I didn't know her, she'd be the lady I didn't know", ha.

Anyway, not a bad tune.

Listening to the teaser... yeah, that voice is more the Jon Oliva I remember. But the songs sound REALLY COOL! I especially liked "Can't Get Away"... it sounded like a modern take on the Beatles' "Don't Let Me Down!" This is definitely at least a get-if-you-have-anything-left-over-from-the-rent purchase.