Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Favorite live-albums by those who regularly don't like live-albums

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mm

Oooohhhiii... fucking right on about Bob Seger's Live Bullet album >> all you'll ever need from him (ok tghe song Night Moves would be missing, but that's about it really)

)
    I think the whole “Night Moves” album is pretty strong. His latter day stuff is hit and miss, but there are some good songs to be found there as well. He basically retired for a long time, but has been back on the road again for the past 2 years or so. I am kind of surprised he has not done a live release from one of his more recent tours. His voice is not what it used to be, but he can still belt it out pretty good and the Silver Bullet Band is still a strong backing outfit.

Steve Sly

Vital
    Last Exit
    Goodbye
    Live & Kicking
    Last edited by Galactic Bulldozer; 06-09-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: s

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It seems like a lot of people sticking up for live albums here are more tolerant of jamming than I am. I have nothing against taking solos, but know when to reel it in. And just say no to drum solos altogether!
    You might have something there. One of the things I like about live albums is the extra jamming, although I am not a Dead fan or that much into jazz. I do like good rock jamming though.

Steve Sly
    Well, as a teen, I used to love one of the worst perpetrator of extended and boring jamming, like the MK 2 Purple live albums (not just Made In Japan, but the In Concert with those extended Wring That Neck and Mandrake Root), but to be honest, I find much of it very dispensible nowadays

Don't get me wrong, I still like Coltrane's extended solos to certain extent, but it also has its limits

and yes , I don't like long drum solos (often boring and breaks the ambiance or inertia) ... a few live exceptions like the drum duets of Seconds Out, but it's much worse to have a drum solo on a studio album...

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Vital
    Lat Exit
    Goodbye
    Live & Kicking
    Lasr Exit and Goodbye are only partially live... and to be honest, Welcome to the Canteen or On The Road are much better Traffic live albums

Vital is a bit too raw for me to place it amongst my fave libe albums.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

More half live - more than
    Family - Anyway
    Freedom's Children - 'Galactic Vibes' almost half live with long drum solo (probably best thing about it)
    Small Faces - Autumn Stone (wrong speed as well)

and I've never heard WB&L's Live and Kickin' - only read bad reviews.

If my cd's were stolen, only Band of Gypsys and Made in Japan would be replaced and maybe Gentle Giant's 'Playing The Fool'... only because I was there with my fingers in my ears!
    Last edited by Galactic Bulldozer; 06-08-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Forgot the title thread

And I've never heard WB&L's Live and Kickin' - only read bad reviews.
    Not bad at all. There are unreleased performances that are better.

I must have only remembered this review from SonicBones and discarded the rest, including the positive one from Jazzis..

A real disappointment of an album that reaks of just what it was: "a posthumous contractual obligation release".
    Long meandering uninspired jams that go nowhere.
    A crap drum solo from Corky Laing...
    The only redeeming quality is the presence of Jack Bruce and even his 10+ min. solo spot "Powerhouse Sod" becomes overbearing fast (Jack I love ya but...).
    Should of been a better album as the band was known for better live performances.
    As Jack Bruce relayed in his bio. his involvement with the band was mainly for the cash.
    Hard drugs were also rampant in the group and it shows by this sub-par performance.

Mostly, this seems to have become a thread for those that simply love live albums.

For those of us who do not usually like live albums, or those who are posting live albums generally even, perhaps we should try to give more description as to why these live albums are especially good. I know some have already talked about great sound quality, ingenuity, etc. But for those that don't usually like the recorded live experience--per the thread title-- what do you get out of the particular recording you are listing?

For me, the ones I listed a few pages back have a certain amped-up energy and virtuosity that does not sound as apparent on their respective studio recordings. But I also expect exceptional sound quality and innovation too...All that said, I still prefer planned-out studio recordings by far...This will remain controversial, I know--it is somewhat, and only somewhat, reducible to the values held between improvisation vs. written/pre-planned-- but the live recording to me still sounds like the facsimile of what the artist was really trying to get at. Even if that is not the conscious order of their recording of the material. There is something about the studio environment that elicits what the artist is really intending to say. An analogy might be between casual conversation in the moment, maybe even while a bit tipsy, vs. what you really want to put to print (or the 'cloud.') Again, not to mention all of the other rich aesthetic components involved in the studio setting. But yes, a big YMMV.

...In contrast to what I just said, I think of a test-case band like The Grateful Dead (some have already mentioned, but I'm surprised more haven't), who have held that they were never happy with any of their studio albums. What they're 'about' is a live improvisational situation you might say, like jazz. But oh man, there can be so many tedious excursions to wade through before one gets to the gems, or what I would argue they are really trying to say. That in-the-moment creation can be fantastic of course, but it's best left for the behind-the-scenes development of it to be later put on 'tape,' IMO. Unless one enjoys, to use the analogy again, a video of watching the painter paint, before the finished product (BTW, I enjoy that occasionally-- e.g., the recent doc about painter Gerhard Richter).

Still, there are a number of reasons why people like live recordings, and I know what I've said doesn't capture all of them. The sheer audience-performer interaction, etc. Just offering some two cents. Fortunately, it's complex

HP Lovecraft ~ Live, May 11, 1968
    It's A Beautiful Day ~ At Carnegie Hall
    The Move ~ Live at the Fillmore, 1969
    The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
    John Mayall ~ The Turning Point
    Hendrix ~ Woodstock and RAH

More half live
    The Nice ~ s/t [Everything As Nice As Mother Makes It]
    Byrds ~ Untitled
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Wow, and no one has mentioned Isildurs Bane's MIND Vol. 2 Live album ??? Except for having a live atmosphere (which I honestly don't really need in a live-album as it is most of the times distracting) this just fits Sunhillow's requirements to a tee: 1. It sounds really really great, 2. almost no interference from the audience, 3. + 4. Isildurs Bane has a knack for rearranging their material while still remaining true to the core of it.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Wow, and no one has mentioned Isildurs Bane's MIND Vol. 2 Live album ??? Except for having a live atmosphere (which I honestly don't really need in a live-album as it is most of the times distracting) this just fits Sunhillow's requirements to a tee: 1. It sounds really really great, 2. almost no interference from the audience, 3. + 4. Isildurs Bane has a knack for rearranging their material while still remaining true to the core of it.
    I was actually thinking about this album, but it's a strange beast. While it's one of my favorite double-albums in my collection, I don't THINK of it as a live-album. It's more of a compilation of live-bits with live-studio-performances and studio-experiments. It's freaking great though, so thanks for the mention.

Great responses so far on the thread by the way.

I've came up with two live-albums I rather like too:

Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra live in studio
    Peter Hammill - The Margin

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Mostly, this seems to have become a thread for those that simply love live albums.

For those of us who do not usually like live albums, or those who are posting live albums generally even, perhaps we should try to give more description as to why these live albums are especially good. I know some have already talked about great sound quality, ingenuity, etc. But for those that don't usually like the recorded live experience--per the thread title-- what do you get out of the particular recording you are listing?
    I have noticed that this pretty much always happens whenever someone asks for recommendations with a particular set of criteria. "Best albums from the '60s featuring great Hammond organ," will inevitably result in a list of every album from the '60s that has any Hammond organ at all on it. Your query is going to eventually produce a list of every live album that people in here like.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I have noticed that this pretty much always happens whenever someone asks for recommendations with a particular set of criteria. "Best albums from the '60s featuring great Hammond organ," will inevitably result in a list of every album from the '60s that has any Hammond organ at all on it. Your query is going to eventually produce a list of every live album that people in here like.
    Yes. This is how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I

I understand that one’s heavily studio-sweetened, which is blatantly obvious at points, as on “Cheepnis.” I way prefer the Helsinki Concert, it’s more or less the same set list, and pretty obviously truly “live.” Plus, everything is played at a faster tempo and it just seems to have more energy than R&E (Note, I’m not bashing R&E, or saying don’t get it, but the Helsinki Concert is better). I don’t really feel the need to own any of the other YCDTOSA albums, but that one’s a must.
    I think you've got a point there. Helsinki might be the best live document of that lineup that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Genesis Live.

With the exception of "Supper's Ready," it includes all my favorite PG-era tracks. But more than that, there's an intensity to the performances that I find lacking on the studio versions. All of the early Genesis albums sound too timid to me, but Genesis Live is just the opposite, the way it comes roaring out of the speakers. The ending of "The Knife" is practically headbanger-worthy. Who would have ever guessed that from Genesis?

I don't care much for live albums, but this one is probably among my 10 all-time favorite records.
    there are some boots from this era that showed how heavy this band could get live.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Genesis Live.

With the exception of "Supper's Ready," it includes all my favorite PG-era tracks. But more than that, there's an intensity to the performances that I find lacking on the studio versions. All of the early Genesis albums sound too timid to me, but Genesis Live is just the opposite, the way it comes roaring out of the speakers. The ending of "The Knife" is practically headbanger-worthy. Who would have ever guessed that from Genesis?
    Part of your perception of lack of intensity could be from the way the Genesis studio albums have been mastered over the years. Supper's Ready sounds tame in all incarnations, except the original UK LP Foxtrot pressing cut by George 'Porky' Peckham. If you hear that one, you can hardly perceive lack of intensity. Even the subsequent early LP reissues sound decidedly lame in comparison. Some CD versions sound OK, but definitely not the so called Definitive Edition or the latest remixes. The same can be said about Lamb, Trespass and Nursery Cryme. When that fly hits the windshield on the initial LP pressing of Lamb (either UK or US), it can compromise masonry in your walls.

I wonder if the same applies to other artists and could partially explains the preference for live albums, as with the live recordings the engineers maybe don't get as much opportunity to screw with the sound.
    Last edited by oregonalex; 06-10-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Back to the Bars - Todd Rundgren, played it about 4 times... was up to a high enough standard but for some reason, haven't played it for 10 years or so. Maybe it was the order of songs or the presence of Hall and Oats???

seconds out
    the song remains the same or bbc sessions
    frampton comes alive
    david bowie live at the Tower
    jeff beck with the jan hammer live 1976
    yes yesshows
    hot tuna the first album live around 1971
    deep purple made in europe stormbringer tour
    santana moonflower
    cheap trick Live at budakon
    grateful dead-- reckoning unplugged 1980
    traffiic On the road & Go Live

Grand Funk - Caught in the Act
    Toto - Live in Amsterdam
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    Lynyrd Skynryd - One More For The Road
    Billy Joel - Songs In The Attic
    U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky
    Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
    Bob Seger - Live Bullet

Genesis Live.

I don't care much for live albums, but this one is probably among my 10 all-time favorite records.
    100% correct! And Steve's solo on "The Knife"...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Santana - Lotus
    Stomu Yamash'ta - Go... live
    I definitely am not a fan of live albums but those 2 are really good
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?