Thread: Spin Doctors

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Spin Doctors

Boy oh boy, this band's debut, Pocket Full Of Kryptonite, was stellar, but they could never match it again. I see now that they have a new album out, but I haven't heard a thing from it. But that debut... played the hell out of it back when. Then came a decent but samey follow-up, Turn It Upside Down. Guess I burned out on them considering they were all over the radio in the early '90s. Anybody else like/d this band?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Loved the debut, and also really liked "Cleopatra's Cat." Their guitarist could really groove.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Absolutely marvellous debut album, but like both of you, their following albums left cooooooold
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember a guy with a beard, that's all. Can't even remember the big hit.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember a guy with a beard, that's all. Can't even remember the big hit.
    There this new invention called Youtube.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    If it's too much workie,

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't actually want to remember them. I do remember this one ^ sort of.

Band drove me f*ing crazy. Better than Blues Traveler though. The rhythm section was tight...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can't even remember the big hit.
    This was the other song they had that was huge:

And the aforementioned "Cleopatra's Cat"

LOVE the guitar in that one. So tasty.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh, man, all the hate people here poured onto Culture Club I want to pour onto this band. "Two Princes" was the most obnoxiously repetitive melody ever. EVER.

You know what would be great? Culture Club and Spin Doctors in a cage fight to the death! OK, I don't actually hate SD that much. Blue's Traveler, hell yes.

Debut is the only one I've heard - and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Band drove me f*ing crazy. Better than Blues Traveler though. The rhythm section was tight...
    yeah, BT's debut is another one I liked from those years... but like SD, only their debut is worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Oh, man, all the hate people here poured onto Culture Club I want to pour onto this band. "Two Princes" was the most obnoxiously repetitive melody ever. EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You know what would be great? Culture Club and Spin Doctors in a cage fight to the death! OK, I don't actually hate SD that much. Blue's Traveler, hell yes.
    Why pit bands against each other.... especially with CC, wo's got NOTHING to do with BT and SD

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Debut is the only one I've heard - and I love it!
    Stop at this one... it's all you'll ever need...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oh man, I *hate* these guys. Hated em then, still hate them. Just their sound, the guy's voice, & image bug me.

When they opened for Rolling Stones in a dome show, I actually fell asleep. Firstly, I was fatigued, secondly, their sound was busy to begin with and thus didn't come off well with a massive pa in an echoey dome stadium.

They have faded into a well-deserved obscurity.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    They were the next big jangle-rock band of their day, like the Black Crows and Georgia Satellites before them and the Strokes that came after. All of them are good for at least one album. I never could get into Blues Traveler; didn't hate them, but...
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I can see how some would be annoyed by them and their image, but I always thought that their ability to just groove set them apart from their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Oh man, I *hate* these guys. Hated em then, still hate them. Just their sound, the guy's voice, & image bug me.
    I never thought the sound matched the faux dirty hippie image, probably why they tanked after the 1st album.

yeah, throw 'em in a cage match with Jesus Jones.