Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clockwork Angels - The Book

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Clockwork Angels - The Book

Has anyone read this, and if so is it any good, and is it worth reading to know what the hell is going on in the album's lyrics? Or is it enough to just figure it's some kind of steampunk dystopian fantasy and leave it at that? I find it a little annoying that Rush decided to base their album on an at the time not-yet-published novel, although I love the album. I want to know what the lyrics are about, but don't think I have much interest in the book...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yes, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It adds in all the story details from the album.
    Chad

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I read it. It is a steampunk dystopian fantasy which, although based on the lyrical ideas of Neil Peart and novelized by Kevin J. Anderson, does little to explain the Clockwork Angels lyrics themselves. Although it does fill out the story the lyrics try to tell. I found it an entertaining read, but not a deep one. YMMV. If you have no interest in the novel, and more interest in the lyrical inspiration, may I suggest getting a copy from a library and just reading the Afterword by Peart?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I find it a little annoying that Rush decided to base their album on an at the time not-yet-published novel, although I love the album. I want to know what the lyrics are about, but don't think I have much interest in the book...
    It wasn't exactly based on the novel, so much as the novel was a companion piece that wasn't published at the time the album was released. I'm pretty sure Peart came up with the concept and story - if not the lyrics - before the novel was even considered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Was just thinking about this again, still haven’t read the book. Is there somewhere (an introduction in the book? An interview?) where there’s a rough timeline of how They worked on this? I’m wondering if Neil wrote the lyrics first, then some kind of outline, or what. It’d be interesting if he wrote the lyrics first, and I’m wondering what besides the lyrics he gave to the author (if anything), or maybe just an oral description.

A few years ago i found an audio book version in the library read by Neil, listened to it on a road trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Makes the album seem more like a musical companion to the book. Wifee got a copy of the follow up Clockwork Lives, she loved it.

I wonder if while writing the lyrics Neil knew they would be his last for Rush. It's kind of strange to end his career with an album where the lyrics don't really have much meaning to people who haven't read the book. I like the album a lot, but I think I'd like it even more if the lyrics weren't about some fantasy novel I haven't read.

I wonder if while writing the lyrics Neil knew they would be his last for Rush. It's kind of strange to end his career with an album where the lyrics don't really have much meaning to people who haven't read the book. I like the album a lot, but I think I'd like it even more if the lyrics weren't about some fantasy novel I haven't read.
    I think Neil had pretty much decided it was his last album. I like the book but in a way it is a kind of more sophisticated version of 2112. It asks the question would you like everything in your life laid out for you, your job, your wife and you'll never need to worry about a thing but you don't have the power to change any of it. Or would you like to be completely free, take all the risks, win or lose on the rollercoaster of life's journey. I do find that an interesting question.

Then read the damn book already, Jed!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    The book itself doesn't really interest me.

Honestly, I like the book better than the album.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Then what would he complain about? Font size? Dangling prepositional phrases? No Choose Your Own Adventures?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Honestly, I like the book better than the album.
    Aren't they kind of hard to compare?

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Then what would he complain about? Font size? Dangling prepositional phrases? No Choose Your Own Adventures?
    I'm not at all complaining, I just said it seemed like a strange choice for Peart's last set of lyrics. Don't worry, I'm not criticizing Peart or Rush.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Who's Rush?

Aren't they kind of hard to compare?
    I was wondering if someone would ask that. :-) Basically, I am saying that I enjoy the CA book as a book (compared to other books) better than I enjoy the CA album compared to other Rush albums.

The book is certainly not 100% original, but I like the characters, the setting, and the main character's journey as a person. It was very enjoyable to read.

The album is OK, but I never got into it as much as most people seem to. Nothing terribly memorable in it. It's almost like they were trying too hard to make a big magnum opus. Not having listened to it in a while. I can't really explain any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I was wondering if someone would ask that. :-) Basically, I am saying that I enjoy the CA book as a book (compared to other books) better than I enjoy the CA album compared to other Rush albums.

The book is certainly not 100% original, but I like the characters, the setting, and the main character's journey as a person. It was very enjoyable to read.

The album is OK, but I never got into it as much as most people seem to. Nothing terribly memorable in it. It's almost like they were trying too hard to make a big magnum opus. Not having listened to it in a while. I can't really explain any better than that.
    It's funny, I'm always surprised when people DON'T like Clockwork Angels, the album. IMO it was their best in quite a while. I don't see it as trying to be a "big magnum opus," just a set of strong songs. To me, they just sound really good instrumentally, and seemed to be going for it more musically than anything else, where albums like Snakes & Arrows seemed more to be about the ideas, which didn't as much do it for me.

I'm not at all complaining, I just said it seemed like a strange choice for Peart's last set of lyrics.
    I don't think it's strange. It was his biggest lyrical narrative project to date. He wrote a whole book to accompany and album. That's substantial.

And really, if you're a fan of the album or have questions about the lyrics, you owe it to yourself to read it. It's a fun, fast read that you'll easily relate to since you know the album already, plus there are some other Rush Easter eggs in there. Just. Read. It.
    Chad

side note kevin J Anderson did a similar book album project with the prog "super group" roswell 6 and his terra incognito trilogy. they only got 2 of the albums done though. recall enjoying them and the books allright.

the CA story was vague so i'll pass on the book.
    Lyrics were one of the main reasons i got into Rush in the 80's-
    but they have declined over the past 20 years.

I Read the book, I have yet to go back and listen to CA cd since, but the Book stood well on its own. It seems like it increases my appreciation for the sadness and beauty in the message of the song "the garden".

I do think the character development in the story was a little weak, and the descriptions of the world in which the story takes place seems a little shallow. With a truly great book, the author sets the story in a very clear world that the reader can picture clearly in their mind - this story kind of kept me guessing what was being described throughout. It was like looking at the world setting through foggy glasses. I had to constantly adjust what I was seeing in my mind, tand that continued throughout the book. Frank Hurbert really knows how to invoke an image in the readers mind. I think CA the book falls a little flat on that front. It was still enjoyable though. It also kind of smacks of a story that isnt worth telling. It kind of builds you up thinking there will be some significant point being made, but the point seems to be, insignificance is all you should expect, just get through life doing the best you can. Be satisfied with whatever you happen to get. - Like I say, a tale not worth telling - yet still interesting. That's kind of Neils personal world view. He expected great things from life, and has personally found it somehow, wanting (I have concluded this, based on reading all, but two of his books - those are on my list though because I find his writing compelling). If you want to see a microcosm of the whole book, you can find it in their video "the Watchmaker" Life is somewhat amusing, but pointless, get over it. I would really like to hear an interview with Neil on if this is truly his thought. He doesnt come off as bitter, just kind of - "meh" (a term used commonly here on any given album or artists mediocrity)

I have considered writing him to ask him more pointed questions about this, But I cannot feel like he wouldn't consider it an invasion of his privacy. I think I know someone who may be able to get a letter to him, but that's a lot to invest, considering he certainly get's far more mail than he cares to see. A letter would likely be treated like the Watchmaker treats the Govt man, who comes asking questions... Of course, that would likely be an apropos response. No response is, after all, a response. ("I got nothing out of this, you know!")

Rush is, of course under no obligation to satisfy my curiosity....

I gave the book 3 stars on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ockwork-angels). Here is my review:

Really a collaboration between Neil Peart (of Rush) and Kevin Anderson. It is a likable tale about a boy discovering himself, his world, and his place in it. I'm a sucker for stories about Order vs. Chaos, so this fits right in. The book does well at conveying a sense of wonder, disillusionment, and acceptance. I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could.

BTW, there is a second book in the series, Clockwork Lives (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lockwork-lives). I liked the first book well enough, but I'm not planning to read this one.

The book itself doesn't really interest me.
    But reviving a 5-year-old thread does!

Dis the book all you want but don't say an ill word about Clockwork MotherFucking Angels, the album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    But reviving a 5-year-old thread does!
    I had a specific reason for posting (as you can see from the post where I revived the thread. And you know there’s no expiration date on these threads!

Was just thinking about this again, still haven’t read the book. Is there somewhere (an introduction in the book? An interview?) where there’s a rough timeline of how They worked on this? I’m wondering if Neil wrote the lyrics first, then some kind of outline, or what. It’d be interesting if he wrote the lyrics first, and I’m wondering what besides the lyrics he gave to the author (if anything), or maybe just an oral description.

I've not read it either. (Though I have various versions of it (No graphic novels or comics or any of that crap.))

No interest. I'm not a Kevin J. Anderson fan and I don't want to ruin my interpretations of the of the album by reading the book.

Neil's lyrics for the most part have been pretty amazing and if it was just him who wrote the book, I'd likely have read it by now.

I seem to recall that Neil wrote the basic outline and some fleshed out ideas. I should break out the tourbook to refresh my memory. I seem to think there were long discussions about the book between the two.

As has been said, there has been a sequel Clockwork Lives (about some of the minor characters) released in various forms and a project called 2113 but I never followed up on any of that because I wasn't interested (though I really wanted to be.)

Depending on the day, Clockwork Angels still might be my favorite Rush studio album ever although there's a ton of competition.