Thread: EMMANUEL BOOZ

EMMANUEL BOOZ

Much better kown as an actor (he apeared in some Hollywood productions like the "Borne" movies), this French Artist
    also released some of the strongest Albums of french prog.

His first Album was a french Version of Guthries "Alice's Restaurant". But his second album is a very strong dark
    prog avant Melange with very theatrical and classical motives and some Zeuhl ingridinents.
    (backed by former Alice musicans)

The third Album features Joel Dugrenot is a rather transitional album and stronger based on Chanson.
    But it has some really strong tracks (the ones written by Dugrenot). Sadly I could only find the weakest track
    on the Album

His last album is a synphonic prog extravaganza and features Didier Lockwood on the first track.

So, anyone into Booz?

"Le jour ou les vaches…" and "Dans quel etat j' erre" are sublime. Especially the later, is for me among the most important french progressive albums. Very adventurous...

"Clochard" is a step back to his beatnik singer/songwriter background and in that context it can be paralleled -as a folky prog album- to several Quebec bands and will appeal especially to french speaking listeners.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Le jour ou les vaches…" and "Dans quel etat j' erre" are sublime. Especially the later, is for me among the most important french progressive albums. Very adventurous...

"Clochard" is a step back to his beatnik singer/songwriter background and in that context it can be paralleled -as a folky prog album- to several Quebec bands and will appeal especially to french speaking listeners.
    Very well said. "Clochard" might the least interresting for proggers but the two Dugrenot tracks (first and last track of the Album) are really strong.
    "Dans quel etat j' erre" is a mayor album of French prog for me too.

I'm always surprised that he is still rather unkown in the prog world.

I got Dans Quel Etat J'Erre, Le Jour Ou Les Vaches and Clochard. All very good prog albums and recommended for any prog fans. Besides you just have to love his name...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Dans quel etat j' erre" [...] is for me among the most important french progressive albums. Very adventurous...
    This one sits perfectly with Jean-Claude Vannier's sole album (stone masterwork!) and Gerard Manset's La Mort D'Orion as a token to the effect of radical principles on artistic musical poetry in France during the first half of the 70s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My favourite is his second album.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This one sits perfectly with Jean-Claude Vannier's sole album (stone masterwork!) and Gerard Manset's La Mort D'Orion as a token to the effect of radical principles on artistic musical poetry in France during the first half of the 70s.
    Still have to find my way into the Vannier album, but I really like Manset's La Mort d'Orion. Do you know some other Manset's other albums (and are they worth trying out)?

I would also add Pascal Duffard who only had one album too, but it's really wonderfull.

"Dans Quel Etat J'Erre" (untranslatable pun, only french-speaking people can understand) is (IMO) the best prog album ever produced in France. I just listened to "Ode aux Rats" (another pun !) and this opening track is just incredible, including many various styles from jazz-fusion to prog and space-rock played with virtuosic technique. (D.Lockwood's violin play is outstanding here). Of course, BOOZ's eructant strained vocals are an acquired taste but should not prevent you from enjoying this musical masterpiece. Any serious prog-fan should listen to this with open ears (and mind). Other earlier BOOZ productions are less progressive, pleasant but not essential.