Thread: Etna

Etna

I have their self titled album... it's one of my favs - what else happened with this very good band?

"This is a very nice, all instrumental fusion album (electric piano/organ, guitar, bass & drums) with an interesting story: These four musicians recorded one album each as Flea & Flea On The Honey. They then broke up & the bassist joined L'Uovo Di Columbo. After a few years they all got back together to make this album, which features good guitar work atop a strong base, & which some folks have compared to Iceberg and other quality mid 70's fusion bands."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Love this band. Too bad only one recording resulted:

As Steve pointed out, look into Flea and Flea on the Honey.

Flea

Flea on the Honey

Luvit!

My fave Italian "pure" fusion album, I think. I actually prefer this to anything Perigeo, Baricentro, Napoli Centrale or Nova did - although I like all of them.

Flea album is great as well, but truly completely different.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like it too, but cannot place it above the Arti+Mestieri.

This is a superb Italian fusion album. I don’t like it as much as Arti + Mestieri or the first couple of Novas, but I like it better than Bella Band, Il Baricentro, et al. Beware: the Flea album is in a completely different style (hard rock) and I absolutely hated it. Try before you buy. The Marangolo brothers later wound up being involved with Goblin.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Ukraine Ways”-Renaissance/Camera Camera

Speaking of the Italian fusion scene, with the risk of high-jacking the thread and move it in a new direction, what do you guys think of Mass Media? Only one live recording AFAIK and even that in such poor quality, my ears are bleeding every time I play it. But what sheer energy and talent that band had, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I like it too, but cannot place it above the Arti+Mestieri.
    Not really comparable, IMHO - Arti e Mestieri were far less of a "purely" fusion band on their classic debut, whilst definitely turning closer at that on the second one (Giro di Valzer). Both are excellent, but Tilt is remarkable, really up there with AreA, Picchio dal Pozzo et al.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Giro (which I like more than Tilt) is as fusion as it gets (to my ears, anyway). To me, it's the pinnacle of Italian '70s fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Not really comparable, IMHO - Arti e Mestieri where far less of a "purely" fusion band on their classic debut, whilst definitely turning closer at that on the second one (Giro di Valzer). Both are excellent, but Tilt is remarkable, really up there with AreA, Picchio dal Pozzo et al.
    "Tilt" is remarkable indeed, and far from a "fusion album" even though is "fusiony" at times. It is my favorite by far. I feel more comfortable calling them fusion from "Giro... forward as well.

One of my absolute favourite (top 2 or 3) Italian albums.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Big fan of Etna as well.
    My favorite tune is Barbarian Serenade.

Not mentioned yet, but Toni Esposito has also produced some worthy 70s Italian fusion.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

This is one of my fusion faves. Contrary to what one person said earlier, I liken this album to Il Baricentro. Well, their first album, Sconcerto, anyway. These two each have a similar sound and mood - nice , tight and lively without becoming cheesy.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike