Thread: Rest in peace, Mulgrew Miller

Rest in peace, Mulgrew Miller

A great musician, and by all accounts, a great guy...Mulgrew Miller has passed on this morning, after a stroke.

Saw him at the Village Vanguard in the late 80's, and was inspired by his playing.

First heard him with Woody Shaw. A good player, but I've never acquired anything he was the leader on. The most recent thing I have with him is Alex Sipiagin's Mirages from a few years ago. Too young to go.....

RIP
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I just saw the notice on the Organissimo site.I first saw Mulgrew Miller with Betty Carter's group in Brooklyn circa late 70's
    and a few times when he was in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers(mid 80s),playing the holy hard-bop.I hadn't kept up with his records over the years.

As said above,good player,gone far too young.

RIP Mulgrew Miller
    Last edited by walt; 05-30-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I have an abiding love for hard bop and I still talk of the Mulgrew Miller concert here in Ottawa gosh around twenty years ago. I ony knew that he was an ex-Messenger and that was good enough for me. The groove that that band got into was transporting. It was one of those concerts that took you to a spiritual place and you wished it went on forever. Never bought any discs but if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it. Rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    Never bought any discs but if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it. Rest in peace.
    I'm not familiar with a lot of his playing, but I've always dug his work on Kenny Garrett's African Exchange Student. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    First heard him with Woody Shaw. A good player, but I've never acquired anything he was the leader on.
    I have a "two-fer" called "Chapters 1 and 2;" it's his first two releases as a leader, "Keys to the City" ('85) and "Work!" ('86). They're some pretty high quality straight ahead piano trio albums. I didn't follow his career and it's pretty shocking to learn that he has passed away.

R.I.P. Mulgrew.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I have a "two-fer" called "Chapters 1 and 2;" it's his first two releases as a leader, "Keys to the City" ('85) and "Work!" ('86). They're some pretty high quality straight ahead piano trio albums. I didn't follow his career and it's pretty shocking to learn that he has passed away.

R.I.P. Mulgrew.
    His obit in the NYT and this thread piqued my interest, so I decided to pick up this 2-fer. Spinning it now and really enjoying it. It reminds me a bit of McCoy Tyner's more melodic material.