Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Banco - new Darwin release and general band question

  1. #1

    Banco - new Darwin release and general band question

    Howdy folks;

    Not sure if anyone knew about this or not, but following from last year's deluxe Banco debut set, there's a similar set for Darwin coming:


    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBW3IFE


    Last time, all the newly-recorded bonus tracks were instrumental; this time, it looks like Franco Battiato is singing on the bonus track(s?).

    I am a bit surprised to not see Francesco di Giacomo singing on these releases. As an outsider with little/no knowledge of the band's current status, it almost feels like BMS is a bit like UK now; the band is Nocenzi plus whomever he has in the studio, but for the shows and live outings di Giacomo is there.

    Anyone 'round these parts have any info on the band now? Am I smoking crack with my perception of things?

  2. #2
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,352
    Only one new track (and only one with Battiato). Video can be found here:

    http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/...iato-58995265/

    Otherwise remixed and remastered version of Darwin! and live performance of Darwin! from 2012

  3. #3
    Huh....so all three are singing on the song. Interesting. So maybe my perception is more crack-smoking that accurate

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Huh....so all three are singing on the song. Interesting. So maybe my perception is more crack-smoking that accurate



    Thanks!
    I wonder if you're actually in the secret video of the Mayor of Toronto as the mystery crack user!

    Thanks for posting about this release - big fan. Nice to see the band is still creative.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I wonder if you're actually in the secret video of the Mayor of Toronto as the mystery crack user!
    Nope, not me. My security clearance prohibits me from smoking crack with a foreign national

  6. #6
    Member Romerovm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    76
    Didn't know about these releases. How does the S/T sound? By the way I looked in Amazon and couldn't find it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Didn't know about these releases. How does the S/T sound? By the way I looked in Amazon and couldn't find it.
    I just got Banco 40 Anni 2LP box set few days ago from Amazon.ca.They also have 2CD box,sound & mix is same as the latest digipack BMG remaster from few years back(I think,I'm not expert,maybe Jeff Carney will know if there is any difference)I went for the vinyl,for $38 cdn I think it's worth every penny.I also pre-ordered Darwin,scheduled for release on june 4.

  8. #8
    Member Oreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    80
    I'm confused - is this a re-recording or the original? Or is it both?

    Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

  9. #9
    Member Oreb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    I just got Banco 40 Anni 2LP box set few days ago from Amazon.ca.They also have 2CD box,sound & mix is same as the latest digipack BMG remaster from few years back(I think,I'm not expert,maybe Jeff Carney will know if there is any difference)I went for the vinyl,for $38 cdn I think it's worth every penny.I also pre-ordered Darwin,scheduled for release on june 4.
    Is the book all in Italian?

    Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

  10. #10
    Member LASERCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I'm confused - is this a re-recording or the original? Or is it both?
    It's supposed to be a remix of the original recording. Have not heard it myself.

  11. #11
    I've got the 40 Anni...

    * The book is all Italian with loads of old pics.
    * The remix/remaster/rewhatever sounds fine to my ears. Not radically different. In all fairness though, I'm not someone who is generally super-critical of modern retakes on older classics.
    * The unreleased tracks are mostly acoustic style, very cool. I think it ends up around 20 minutes of unreleased material.
    * The live tracks are pretty redundant from other recent live releases, so they aren't really a huge addition.

    I think I paid less than $20 on Amazon for the set and IMHO it was worth it. I'll be getting the Darwin as well.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Didn't know about these releases. How does the S/T sound? By the way I looked in Amazon and couldn't find it.
    I couldn't find it searching on Amazon (weird), but I found a link using my order history:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00889SFW0

  13. #13
    Member Romerovm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    I just got Banco 40 Anni 2LP box set few days ago from Amazon.ca.They also have 2CD box,sound & mix is same as the latest digipack BMG remaster from few years back(I think,I'm not expert,maybe Jeff Carney will know if there is any difference)I went for the vinyl,for $38 cdn I think it's worth every penny.I also pre-ordered Darwin,scheduled for release on june 4.
    The same as the gold digipack ones? If so, I'll stay away. Those were loud and compressed unfortunately.

  14. #14
    Member Romerovm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I've got the 40 Anni...

    * The book is all Italian with loads of old pics.
    * The remix/remaster/rewhatever sounds fine to my ears. Not radically different. In all fairness though, I'm not someone who is generally super-critical of modern retakes on older classics.
    * The unreleased tracks are mostly acoustic style, very cool. I think it ends up around 20 minutes of unreleased material.
    * The live tracks are pretty redundant from other recent live releases, so they aren't really a huge addition.

    I think I paid less than $20 on Amazon for the set and IMHO it was worth it. I'll be getting the Darwin as well.
    Okay, thanks for the detailed info.

    I guess this one is not for me since it seems to have been remixed, remastered, blah blah, and there was nothing wrong with the original mix.

  15. #15
    Member jefftiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    73
    I just received the new "Darwin!" today from Amazon.com (US$18). The remix version of the original on disc 1 is noticeably different than the various versions of the 1972 recording that I've heard over the years. I'm listening to it right now and it's quite interesting. The vocals seem a bit more prominent.

    The packaging is very similar to "40 Anni" with lots of pictures from the 1972 era and discussion of the album (all in Italian), together with the lyrics. The two "books" make a nice set on the shelf. The "40 Anni" version of the first album is, at most, only a remastered version as far as I can discern from the credits, so this new remixed version of "Darwin!" is unexpected and welcome.

    I'm not enthralled with the Battiato/Banco collaboration at the end of disc 2.

    As another poster mentioned, I can't find this release when searching on Amazon (which is kind of weird). Use the link provided by the original poster.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 06-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.

  16. #16
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,040
    I remastered Darwin for myself long ago and it came out really good, but I'm curious about this "remix". Is there previously 'background sounds' that are now more audible?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •