Thread: AAJ Review: June Tabor / Iain Ballamy / Huw Warren, Quercus

AAJ Review: June Tabor / Iain Ballamy / Huw Warren, Quercus

My review of AAJ Review: June Tabor / Iain Ballamy / Huw Warren, Quercus, today at All About Jazz.

Recorded in 2006 and looking for a label ever since, this meeting of improvisational elements with renowned traditional British singer June Tabor's deep, dark and intimate voice has been a long time coming, but it's been worth the wait. Tabor is known to only sing material that truly reaches her on a deeply personal level - whether it's political statements, songs of love lost or the two combined - making Quercus a recording that demonstrates the power of silence and the drama inherent in subtlety and interpretation. Saxophonist Ballamy and pianist Warren use Tabor's voice as a starting point for further explorations, while the singer uses her own participation to act as a rallying point and guide, as these three musicians merge into a single voice.

A truly remarkable recording, review here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have this and thought it was extraordinary. I didn't realise it was so old, though!

This is the second thread on this remarkable album to sink like a stone - the first was one I started a few weeks ago, John K the only participant!

Seriously, there must be more people interested in this than three of us!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

NOT from this album, but a taste of June at her best (singing a perfect, dark song by Lal Waterson:

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?