Thread: Portugal The Man

Portugal The Man

Anybody here into this band? I have a kid who works for me who is into music. He came into my office a week ago to ask for a vacation night and said he was going to a concert in Chicago. I asked who he was going to see and he said "Portugal The Man". I had never heard of them, but he brought me in a CD to check out and I kind of like them. They somewhat remind me of the Flaming Lips, although they are different from them. Anyway, I guess these guys are getting fairly big on the indi circut and I am kind of digging the album so just wondered if anyone else here was into these guys.

Steve Sly

I'm a pretty big fan here. They have a new album (Evil Friends) coming out next week. I must have spun The Satanic Satanist at least 50 times. I think that's their highlight as a catchy pop album.

Their first two albums and EP (Waiter: "You Vultures", Church Mouth, and It's Complicated Being a Wizard) have a bit of that Mars Volta meets Zeppelin vibe, but they've gotten away from their more psychedelic and experimental sides and have become a bit more straight indie pop/rock. I thought their last album was their weakest, so I'm hoping for something of a return to form.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The one he gave me to listen to is "In The Mountain In The Cloud".

Steve Sly

I saw them open for The Flaming Lips at NXNE last summer. I actually went to see Of Montreal and Portugal. The Man Followed. Like you, I'd never heard of them but their live show quite impressed me. I went home and ordered a CD that I enjoyed, but haven't spun for a while. Maybe I'll pull it off the shelf this week and see if they have holding power almost a year later.

EDIT: Just rereading this post and that period after Portugal wreaks havoc on sentence structure.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Heard their debut years ago, liked it a bit. Then I forgot about them. I'll torrent their back-catalogue, to see if I need this band in my collection. Thanks for the reminder!

Hey Guys,
    You might enjoy our review of Portugal The Man's latest album and our interview with them! Go check those out!

Quote Originally Posted by Confront View Post
    Hey Guys,
    You might enjoy our review of Portugal The Man's latest album and our interview with them! Go check those out!
    Cool interview. I think the new album is great. These guys are certainly unique.

Steve Sly

Just picked up "Evil Friends" and I'm really enjoying what I hear (first listen). There's also a short "film" for Sleep Forever on YouTube that I need to check out later. If this disc sticks with me I'll be going back through their catalog for more.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Streaming live from NY-

Not bad at all.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Used to love these guys but their newer stuff is too radio-friendly for my taste...
    The Prog Corner